Red Sea Reefer Tank Seal Failure

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I specifically asked my insurance and they cover anything but living creatures. The tank would be cover like any other physical object
Ask more specific questions regarding "incidental and consequential losses" and ask to see the language. Also, most if not all home polices have deductibles of several thousand dollars. And finally any insurance claim you make, ANY claim regardless if it is paid on or not, gets logged into a private loss data base insurance companies share amongst themselves. It is a "forever" data base that will follow you everywhere and impact future coverages and premiums.

Last edited:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to advise other Red Sea owners out there. Last week my seal blew on my less than 2 year old tank (Peninsula 500). I acquired it when it was 6 months old and because Red Sea will only warranty the original owner, they will not repair, reimburse, or replace the tank loss of livestock or damage to my condo or unit below. This has been truly tragic and devestating, I am working with my homeowners insurance but the worst part of it all is finding other people who had this problem and RedSea not standing behind their products. Check your seals frequently. #redseareefer

IMG_7722.jpg
Exact same boat I was in.... fricking sucks.. still repairing the house... :( Never again.

IL-Reef-A4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a crazy bad seal failure. So sorry that happened. I've had my Red Sea 350 for ~ 2 years now and will be inspecting that everyday until I can get something else to replace it.

And when you post the reality of the tank failure they take it down on the Red Sea website... there are quite a few words in the English language to describe that kind of business practice. And none of them are good/polite.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this seems like a common Red Sea issue lately. And why I will never buy a tank from them. I’m sorry!
Is it an issue lately for older tanks that Red Sea was putting out and they are failing now? I've definitely heard of this happening with a lot of the original Reefer models, but has anyone seen this with the G2's?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to advise other Red Sea owners out there. Last week my seal blew on my less than 2 year old tank (Peninsula 500). I acquired it when it was 6 months old and because Red Sea will only warranty the original owner, they will not repair, reimburse, or replace the tank loss of livestock or damage to my condo or unit below. This has been truly tragic and devestating, I am working with my homeowners insurance but the worst part of it all is finding other people who had this problem and RedSea not standing behind their products. Check your seals frequently. #redseareefer

IMG_7722.jpg
What’s funny about this well not actually funny but sad is Red Sea reefers are pretty much 95% of all the tanks you hear about seams blowing out and or leaking!!! And yet sooooo many people want to keep buying them….

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask more specific questions regarding "incidental and consequential losses" and ask to see the language. Also, most if not all home polices have deductibles of several thousand dollars. And finally any insurance claim you make, ANY claim regardless if it is paid on or not, gets logged into a private loss data base insurance companies share amongst themselves. It is a "forever" data base that will follow you everywhere and impact future coverages and premiums.
Yes, and after a claim home insurance usually will cancel you and you have to shop around. Deductible are set by you, the higher the deductible, the less monthly payment, just like car insurance. I went over this specifically with my insurance and know what I had and what was covered.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it an issue lately for older tanks that Red Sea was putting out and they are failing now? I've definitely heard of this happening with a lot of the original Reefer models, but has anyone seen this with the G2's?

The tanks this mainly happens, are the larger ones where the brace was not added, which caused sagging and stress on the seam. I inspect my 525XL G2 probably every week or two, and have no bubbles or issues.

tsort91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many problems with the seams on these tanks it seems like. Sorry this happened. Everyone’s worst nightmare

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a reefer350 that I really like but the plumbing is trash and the stand is trash. Who thought cheap dumpster fire particle board with an (epoxy) coating would be wise for a fish tank? That said. I like the glass and the seams on my tank are nice. I do believe the bottom was not flat as when filled with water I could slide paper under the left rear corner about 4". Unfortunately it was out of warranty by a year and it's been running now for 4 years. I think these seam failures all occur on the front. The front has literally zero support as it's a flush cabinet. Something to think about. When I move houses, eventually, I'll cut a piece of marine grade 3/4 and place on top to support the tank.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a reefer350 that I really like but the plumbing is trash and the stand is trash. Who thought cheap dumpster fire particle board with an (epoxy) coating would be wise for a fish tank? That said. I like the glass and the seams on my tank are nice. I do believe the bottom was not flat as when filled with water I could slide paper under the left rear corner about 4". Unfortunately it was out of warranty by a year and it's been running now for 4 years. I think these seam failures all occur on the front. The front has literally zero support as it's a flush cabinet. Something to think about. When I move houses, eventually, I'll cut a piece of marine grade 3/4 and place on top to support the tank.
It doesn't matter if you consider the water pressure will be pushing outward. I would be concerned about not adding any kind of wave make making pulsing waves the short length from back to front. No standing waves.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people keep buying these?

Also I would never put an aquarium on anything besides a concrete basement floor, flood would be terrible but cause little damage. Having a large aquarium above a different residence entirely is a no no.

Wish you luck that is the worst nightmare. Hope it all works out! I hope home insurance helps, I can’t imagine they cover damage from an aquarium blowing.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do people keep buying these?

Also I would never put an aquarium on anything besides a concrete basement floor, flood would be terrible but cause little damage. Having a large aquarium above a different residence entirely is a no no.

Wish you luck that is the worst nightmare. Hope it all works out! I hope home insurance helps, I can’t imagine they cover damage from an aquarium blowing.
Mine does, and I'm sure many others. You can ALWAYS buy a rider that will.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks this mainly happens, are the larger ones where the brace was not added, which caused sagging and stress on the seam. I inspect my 525XL G2 probably every week or two, and have no bubbles or issues.
My experience, mileage my vary... the 300xl (65 gallon) I got from the first owner was on a concrete floor up and running for about 2 years.. fully stocked, checked level there before we moved it. Had in my home for about 10 months before the front seam blew.. no warning or bubbles in the silicon (I replaced a very old Elos (10 plus) that was dry for 5 years because I saw bubbles spreading and tiny copepods swimming in there). Mine was on a cement floor as well.. had just checked level a couple months ago before it blew. If I ever were to go glass again in the house it would be braced top and bottom.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea is a joke. This happened to me as well. I bought a tank that was under a year old. The previous owner saw some concerns with the seals slightly separating and Red Sea assured him that it was well under spec and there is no issue. Upon taking ownership, I emailed Red Sea the same while the original owner was in town, (he was in the middle of moving out of state), again RS assured me there was nothing to worry about and it was well within spec. A few months later, still under a year old, it got worst, emailed RS again, now they tell me they can't help me since I'm not the original owner and the original owner had now moved away. So, I had to buy a replacement tank. Red Sea knows about their seam failures and refuse to accept responsibility for poor quality issues. I now own a CDA tank that is built in Texas and the quality difference is night and day.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back