0   0   0
and the neotherm heater fiasco/melted to kill hundreds of reefs

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the photos of these tanks bursting like that I think it’s more of a stand issue than the tank it’s self.. it seems the stand isn’t flush or sagging in the front to cause those.. that’s just my 2 and I’ve built plenty of tanks and stands..

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the photos of these tanks bursting like that I think it’s more of a stand issue than the tank it’s self.. it seems the stand isn’t flush or sagging in the front to cause those.. that’s just my 2 and I’ve built plenty of tanks and stands..

Correct the stand is the issue, compounded by glass panels held together entirely by silicone (Trim for the win)

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local fish store posted a video of a red sea tank bursting. My husband told me about it and he couldn't remember the brand but I was able to guess right away.

This would be bad enough but Red Sea's customer service is impressively bad. Here's what our fish store posted:

Thinking of purchasing a Red Sea Aquarium? Please watch this video before doing so. Our client had a Red Sea Reefer 650 Pennisula, loaded with corals, and fish. The aquarium was thriving. We noticed a bubble in the bottom seam, so we called Red Sea, no reply. Then, the aquarium failed. All the livestock died. After contacting Red Sea about the seam failure, I went through three different representatives, providing invoices, pictures, etc. Today, Scott Kohler, VP of Sales, e mailed me. His e mailed stated, Red Sea feels this is not their responsibility, and there will be no reimbursement. Also, if I want to be reimbursed, I should sue them, and gave me the address for service. I don't feel my client should endure the cost of this. We are paying for a whole new aquarium set up, not a Red Sea Aquarium, livestock, clean up, etc. I also do not feel we should have to absorb this cost because a company manufactured a faulty product. Just Google Red Sea Aquarium Fails, and you will see hundreds of failure over the years. Red Sea knew they manufactured a faulty product, but, continued to sell faulty aquariums. I guess we will see what the court thinks.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local fish store posted a video of a red sea tank bursting. My husband told me about it and he couldn't remember the brand but I was able to guess right away.

This would be bad enough but Red Sea's customer service is impressively bad. Here's what our fish store posted:

Thinking of purchasing a Red Sea Aquarium? Please watch this video before doing so. Our client had a Red Sea Reefer 650 Pennisula, loaded with corals, and fish. The aquarium was thriving. We noticed a bubble in the bottom seam, so we called Red Sea, no reply. Then, the aquarium failed. All the livestock died. After contacting Red Sea about the seam failure, I went through three different representatives, providing invoices, pictures, etc. Today, Scott Kohler, VP of Sales, e mailed me. His e mailed stated, Red Sea feels this is not their responsibility, and there will be no reimbursement. Also, if I want to be reimbursed, I should sue them, and gave me the address for service. I don't feel my client should endure the cost of this. We are paying for a whole new aquarium set up, not a Red Sea Aquarium, livestock, clean up, etc. I also do not feel we should have to absorb this cost because a company manufactured a faulty product. Just Google Red Sea Aquarium Fails, and you will see hundreds of failure over the years. Red Sea knew they manufactured a faulty product, but, continued to sell faulty aquariums. I guess we will see what the court thinks.

Post the video !!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to say it but i'm right there with you. I wanted to build salt water since I was a teenager and I always looked at it as setting a goal for buying my own home and that would be my reward.

I couldn't imagine how awkward the conversation or the mass guilt I would feel telling some neighbor below me my choices destroyed their stuff. Heck, it's bad enough having neighbors in general.. :)
In all honesty, it's no different if they had a water leak, the toilet flooded or the washing machine overflowed, either (just minus the sewage and salt). But there's certainly more potential for an aquarium to flood, crack, etc.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even with a video don't you think this is kind of biased? It's your husband relaying to you what his fish store supposedly told him based on what their customer supposedly told him. Was the tank purchased new from this store? Was the tank used? Do we have actual correspondence from Red Sea to back any of this up? Do we even know when/if this happened?

Tanks fail - not just Red Sea. I've read and spoke to people about horror stories with their Waterbox (etc.) tanks as well. You can stand in a room and throw a quarter and hit something where the quality assurance has gone out the window in the past 2-3 years (and I'm not just talking about aquariums).

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with a video don't you think this is kind of biased? It's your husband relaying to you what his fish store supposedly told him based on what their customer supposedly told him. Was the tank purchased new from this store? Was the tank used? Do we have actual correspondence from Red Sea to back any of this up? Do we even know when/if this happened?

Tanks fail - not just Red Sea. I've read and spoke to people about horror stories with their Waterbox (etc.) tanks as well. You can stand in a room and throw a quarter and hit something where the quality assurance has gone out the window in the past 2-3 years (and I'm not just talking about aquariums).
You can support RS, but it's weird you continue to try and diminish people's experiences. Are you implying her husband or the fish store is simply making things up? What is the LFS motive then?

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post the video !!
Sorry, I have no idea how to add the video to this post. Feel free to look up Big Kahuna in Madison Wisconsin on facebook and you'll see the whole post. It looks like the tank was in a business that had a security camera running so you can see the water pouring out of it.

This is my fish guy you're talking about. The owner of this store is very well experienced and has taken care of many tanks for his clients for years now. He advised me on my purchases and he knows his stuff. He got Glass Cages to finally send my tank to me after it had been on order for months with sporadic updates. So yes, this happened.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many tens of thousands of pinto owners never had the car explode

Was it a safe car? A sound purchase? Getting in a rear end wreck isn't factored in its design... slight variations in cabinetry any other reef handles fine seems to fell red sea tanks. That and looking at them sideways...

I only have that 70s example lol I can't think of any exploding cars since then

This is said bc I'm sure there are very pricey and costly, well running red sea tanks that won't break, but it doesn't console the hundreds/ maybe thousands that did/ will

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have no idea how to add the video to this post. Feel free to look up Big Kahuna in Madison Wisconsin on facebook and you'll see the whole post. It looks like the tank was in a business that had a security camera running so you can see the water pouring out of it.

This is my fish guy you're talking about. The owner of this store is very well experienced and has taken care of many tanks for his clients for years now. He advised me on my purchases and he knows his stuff. He got Glass Cages to finally send my tank to me after it had been on order for months with sporadic updates. So yes, this happened.
Not to get into a debate, but if they noticed there was an issue with the seam why didn't they take any preventative action? And we don't know how long the tank was operating with this (apparent) issue, when they noticed it and how long it was between when they noticed it and it failed. This could've been over a course of hours, days or even weeks.

How old was the tank? Was it purchased used? Was there ever any damage or impact? You mention this is in a business and from the video it seems like there could easily be a lot of foot traffic.

It's easy to just say "Red Sea". Often the reality is that there could be numerous other factors (however minor) that contribute or cause some of these issues. Or maybe there's a design defect in Red Sea's peninsula line of tanks that they've yet to address (they haven't released a G2 version of their peninsula tanks, so maybe they're doing a complete redesign and overhaul on these).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many tens of thousands of pinto owners never had the car explode
Was it a safe car? A sound purchase?
I only have that 70s example lol I can't think of any exploding cars since then
Just the fake Tesla tests. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't Redsea all but admit fault when they started offering the extra brace for their stands to directly address the seam bursting issue? It is easy to say "Redsea" because you follow the dots.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't Redsea all but admit fault when they started offering the extra brace for their stands to directly address the seam bursting issue? It is easy to say "Redsea" because you follow the dots.
Yes, insofar as the 750XXL and 900XXL were concerned I believe that's correct (and where I have some firsthand knowledge). With respect to the other tank models, I don't know if sagging stands leading to seam failures were an issue on any other models or if it's an entirely different issue.

Red Sea upgraded glass thickness on many of their tanks, added reinforced struts and corner bracing with the G2 upgrade - so I don't know how much of that was needed from a QA standpoint.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Woah I live in Madison and go to that store…. Small world

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can’t fathom buying a large “rimless” tank, regardless of the brand. Give me extra bracing please, top and bottom. I want a tank that will last 50 years, not a tank I worry about leaking/bursting within 10 because it is dependent on single silicone seams.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ exactly, regardless of brand these tanks will last 5 years if all goes well

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, insofar as the 750XXL and 900XXL were concerned I believe that's correct (and where I have some firsthand knowledge). With respect to the other tank models, I don't know if sagging stands leading to seam failures were an issue on any other models or if it's an entirely different issue.

Red Sea upgraded glass thickness on many of their tanks, added reinforced struts and corner bracing with the G2 upgrade - so I don't know how much of that was needed from a QA standpoint.
I am an owner of a RedSea tank and like it so far, but I won’t go around defending them and ignoring the countless horror stories. Cause one day I can wake up and live that horror story for myself. I absolutely hate all of their other products especially Aiptasia X I just get a sudden feeling of anger whenever Aiptasia X comes to my mind that stuff is the reason behind the aniptasia outbreak I have.
I just don’t understand why do you keep turning down the stories and standing behind the company this much? Frankly I think it’s quite disrespectful to the people who experienced this, and with Red Sea saying that “it’s not an issue” on countless occasions.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back