Red Sea Reefer Tank Seal Failure

ThrillAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to advise other Red Sea owners out there. Last week my seal blew on my less than 2 year old tank (Peninsula 500). I acquired it when it was 6 months old and because Red Sea will only warranty the original owner, they will not repair, reimburse, or replace the tank loss of livestock or damage to my condo or unit below. This has been truly tragic and devestating, I am working with my homeowners insurance but the worst part of it all is finding other people who had this problem and RedSea not standing behind their products. Check your seals frequently. #redseareefer

IMG_7722.jpg

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to advise other Red Sea owners out there. Last week my seal blew on my less than 2 year old tank (Peninsula 500). I acquired it when it was 6 months old and because Red Sea will only warranty the original owner, they will not repair, reimburse, or replace the tank loss of livestock or damage to my condo or unit below. This has been truly tragic and devestating, I am working with my homeowners insurance but the worst part of it all is finding other people who had this problem and RedSea not standing behind their products. Check your seals frequently. #redseareefer

IMG_7722.jpg
Did you happen to have the retro fit brace installed when this occurre?

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get it all handled. And all these red sea issues is why I'm upgrading to an IM or Fiji Cube instead of red sea. I like red seas set ups and other products but I've seen to many tank failures.

OP
OP
ThrillAddict

ThrillAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a second hand tank and we know nothing about how it was handled so how about before trashing all Red Sea you consider this.
It certainly has been considered I was the one to take down and move the last tank that was only used for a handful of months four with fish. I've also considered all of the other posts where people have the same issue.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike that's a fair perspective. It's the volume of posts from first time buyers too, it's all just too much. Oceanic simply never had this issue, the standard is available if a company wants to seize it.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a second hand tank and we know nothing about how it was handled so how about before trashing all Red Sea you consider this.
Out of any company that you see posted on here with tank failures, a majority are red sea. You really have to be an idiot with cleaning to destroy a seam that will leak as much as this is here.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I agree .. It's a second hand tank and we don't know if this tank was the batch prior to the new G Series that came out with the fix.

Never the less .. this is our worst nightmare

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard bad things about the previous generation of Red Sea and how this generation had these problems addressed (seams, main drain valve, reinforcement of the cabin etc). I have two tanks from them but both are new so can’t comment

I won’t lie second hand tank is something I can never do. It is already anxiety inducing to have 160 gallons in the house chilling.

I wish you the best of luck. What you are going through is awful and I hope you and your house can make a hasty and full recovery.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back