Red Sea Reefer Tank Seal Failure

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get into a debate, but if they noticed there was an issue with the seam why didn't they take any preventative action? And we don't know how long the tank was operating with this (apparent) issue, when they noticed it and how long it was between when they noticed it and it failed. This could've been over a course of hours, days or even weeks.

How old was the tank? Was it purchased used? Was there ever any damage or impact? You mention this is in a business and from the video it seems like there could easily be a lot of foot traffic.

It's easy to just say "Red Sea". Often the reality is that there could be numerous other factors (however minor) that contribute or cause some of these issues. Or maybe there's a design defect in Red Sea's peninsula line of tanks that they've yet to address (they haven't released a G2 version of their peninsula tanks, so maybe they're doing a complete redesign and overhaul on these).
I don’t know man, seems like quite a bit of hand waving for tanks that certainly have a reputation to blow seams. There probably ARE contributing factors in each case, obviously not all their tanks do this.

But if we look at this situation like any ”root cause” evaluation, it certainly seems like Red Sea tanks have inherent design issues that put them on the edge of failure relative to other tank designs. I have had tanks that have taken a literal beating, and I haven't worried about them at all. But with Red Sea tanks, just one thing isn’t perfect, and it’s as if people expect this to happen….

So even if each failure has contributing factors, that doesn’t mean it is OK. People can still conclude it is a crappy tank design that is prone to failure, just like any other product that breaks easily relative to its competition.

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to advise other Red Sea owners out there. Last week my seal blew on my less than 2 year old tank (Peninsula 500). I acquired it when it was 6 months old and because Red Sea will only warranty the original owner, they will not repair, reimburse, or replace the tank loss of livestock or damage to my condo or unit below. This has been truly tragic and devestating, I am working with my homeowners insurance but the worst part of it all is finding other people who had this problem and RedSea not standing behind their products. Check your seals frequently.
I hate to see this happen to anyone. I’m going to add, and im not adding insult to injury here, but for others who purchase anything used. Read the manufactures warranty before you pony up. Not just aquariums. A lot of manufacturers clearly state that the warranty is not transferable, or can be transferred for a fee, or is transferable within a certain time frame. It will also state what is covered, labor, materials, damages, product replacement only, shipping, etc. I’m not saying that’s the case here, or trying to tick off the op. Just that a lot of people just assume if something is x years old, and the factory warranty is y, that it’s covered. I feel, like most probably, that it shouldn’t matter if you’re the original owner or the fiftieth if it’s within the coverage period. Just like a car. Be aware that no tank manufacture that I know of, which isn’t a lot, will cover damages outside of replacing the tank. Again, using this as an educational experience for others. I’m sorry the op is going through this and again, don’t wish this on anyone.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I was replying to the other thread on this topic…Sorry to see another one fall to this.

Is there anything that can be done if we are around when this happens? Any sort of self sealing tape that can be applied to buy us enough time to drain the water into buckets? Or do we just bend over and kiss our tails goodbye?

-Matt
If anyone says the infomercial flex seal tape I’ll die laughing! Seriously though, good question. Problem is, will you be there standing in front of the tank, at the ready, when it bursts, or will you be in Hawaii?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so much Red Sea hate... I think we need a badge for this. Used tank, second owner - this seems to be a recurring theme in many of these seam failures.
1671062354212.gif

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an owner of a RedSea tank and like it so far, but I won’t go around defending them and ignoring the countless horror stories. Cause one day I can wake up and live that horror story for myself. I absolutely hate all of their other products especially Aiptasia X I just get a sudden feeling of anger whenever Aiptasia X comes to my mind that stuff is the reason behind the aniptasia outbreak I have.

I just don’t understand why do you keep turning down the stories and standing behind the company this much? Frankly I think it’s quite disrespectful to the people who experienced this, and with Red Sea saying that “it’s not an issue” on countless occasions.
This thread has turned into an opportunity to "dog pile" on Red Sea for a myriad of problems. Warranties typically aren't transferrable and there's no aquarium company I know of that will compensate for livestock loss and/or property damage. This is what homeowner and tenant insurance polices are for.

I don't have aiptasia in my tank so I've never used Aiptasia-X and can't offer anything insightful. I do own a pair of Red Sea ReefWave45's which have been performing flawlessly and ran both a ReefMat 500 and ReefMat 1200 that I later upgraded to - both of which are excellent products. I also use NOPOX and ReefEnergy AB+ and have been for exactly 3 years now without issue, and they also work as advertised.

I'm not going to offer an opinion on the validity of a claim with a failed tank when the tank was purchased used. There are simply too many unknown variables. Full stop.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know man, seems like quite a bit of hand waving for tanks that certainly have a reputation to blow seams. There probably ARE contributing factors in each case, obviously not all their tanks do this.

But if we look at this situation like any ”root cause” evaluation, it certainly seems like Red Sea tanks have inherent design issues that put them on the edge of failure relative to other tank designs. I have had tanks that have taken a literal beating, and I haven't worried about them at all. But with Red Sea tanks, just one thing isn’t perfect, and it’s as if people expect this to happen….

So even if each failure has contributing factors, that doesn’t mean it is OK. People can still conclude it is a crappy tank design that is prone to failure, just like any other product that breaks easily relative to its competition.
G2s have been out for the better part of the year and I've had my ear to the ground at my LFS and on R2R and haven't heard anything (yet). I know there was a myriad of design changes, so let's hope that if there were some inherent design flaws that they're now fixed. The peninsula tanks that have been discussed in this thread haven't (or at least to my knowledge) been redesigned with a G2 model yet, so it's entirely possible there's some inherent design flaw there (pure speculation on my part). And if there is whether it's more or less prevalent in either model and what circumstances could lead to it (year of manufacturer, stress, structural, etc.)

My Red Sea 750XXL v3 tank (which is identical to the new G2) continues to perform as expected, and I haven't had any issues with any of the seams, glass, plumbing or fittings. Knock on wood. It's in the basement and I have a leak detection sensor, so we'll see what happens I guess. In Canada (or at least Saskatchewan, where I reside) there aren't a lot of custom options for larger tanks beyond Red Sea and Waterbox (my first choice was a Cade, but this isn't an option in Canada...).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m refraining from jinxing myself with this one as I am the original owner of a three year old xxl750, two tiny air pockets in the front seam, and a retrofit brace. Fingers crossed
The good news is that the retrofit brace supposedly solved the issues with the front seam letting go.

Mark81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this happen to another reefer. My 250 had a seam failure just last week at 3am. Luckily, the seam went on the top right rear so only 6 or so gallons spilled out before I got to the tank. Guess I'll be upgrading sooner but will never purchase another RedSea tank.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is that the retrofit brace supposedly solved the issues with the front seam letting go.
There was a noticeable gap, like ten sheets of paper worth, between the glass and neoprene mat just to the right where the two sump doors meet. With the brace it’s snug. The air pockets were growing before the brace and stopped completely after. I think I may be lucky as the retrofit program started a month after I setup the tank so it only had water in it a very short time before. I can see however, as the top of the tank is pretty high and I’m pretty tall, how someone could put thier weight on the glass when cleaning and such…. Especially if they’re a little rounder in the belly section like me! Im a bit paranoid about that. I’m six four and need a step stool to be able to reach the bottom rear of the tank when those freakin urchins play hide and seek with frags. I’d be super scared if I had kids around hanging on the front pane!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea failed as well, the same tank that I won in the 2019 partner membership raffle. I gave up the hobby as a result. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action law suit against Red Sea because of these failures.
That’s a bummer. They didn’t replace the tank for you? Pretty close to the three year window if you got the extra year by registering. Just curious as you won it in 2019.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bummer. They didn’t replace the tank for you? Pretty close to the three year window if you got the extra year by registering. Just curious as you won it in 2019.

If my tank with all my hard work failed and destroyed part of my house, I would not want a replacment

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my tank with all my hard work failed and destroyed part of my house, I would not want a replacment
Well, it’s better than nothing. At least you could sell a brand new replacement tank for a few bucks if you don’t want to use it. You won’t get much for a leaking tank. It’s a headache for sure either way you go. Even if you didn’t want to sell it or use it, you could donate it to club or make a video throwing it through the front window of RS headquarters, something

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this failure waiting to happen? and is it like days/weeks/months/years away?
4 year old 525XL.
seam zoom.jpg

Attachments

• seam1.jpg
    seam1.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 46

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0