Red Sea Reefer Tank Seal Failure

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is the quality control issue???. You do realize quality assurance is the process on how they check their tanks to make sure that they’re not leaking and there making a good product. This is a factory level process. I don’t understand how it’s affecting you at home with your water box tank. Maybe you bought your water box tank a long time ago when they were just starting out but their customer service now is amazing.

I will concede that you have had a great customer service experience with WB if you will concede you cannot possibly know if everyone else's experience with WB has matched your own.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone said it was the second owner, so it had moved from one place to the other and potentially caused a leak. Other tanks like marine land, aqueon etc move several times in some case and don’t have the same problem, bad excuse for Red Sea
Ahh gotcha. Anything is possible. My 425 XL was moved, twice. Once by me, second time by the new owner. It's still running at this house. I doubt it's the move. I wonder if it's a bad batch of silicone. ELOS had a similar issue for a few years, and they were also very hush hush about it. It hasn't happened in the recent years, and they haven't changed their design.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw my $0.0002 here b/c, well, everyone else is :p

When I went to buy a first, new tank last year, I originally was going to go with Red Sea. I had scheduled an appointment with my local fish shop to spec it all out. The night before, I was up all night reading various threads, and came across a thread of a Red Sea purchaser who had what he believed to be a problem with this tank. The thread was very detailed re: the course of events, communications, etc. with Red Sea in trying to resolve the problem. Frankly, it wasn't the problem itself that made me decide not to purchase the Red Sea tank, it was the way the communications and the customer complaint was handled by Red Sea. To me, it was very clear that Red Sea neither stood behind their products nor cared that the customer was actually satisfied with their purchase. Yeah, I went elsewhere for my tank.

For those saying, "well this was second hand, and everyone is just bashing Red Sea," you may be right. But when enough people start complaining, you/we can all bury our heads in the sand and just say "well, who knows, too many unknowns, too many circumstances, so no problem here," or we can say "maybe there's a problem." Ultimately, it's going to be up to Red Sea to either deal with all these complaints or just let us, as customers, draw our own conclusions. And rightly or wrongly, when there are so many posts of Red Sea tanks failing, I think it's safe to say it's going to cost Red Sea some tank sales. Maybe not enough for them to care, but, if it's really a consistent problem, then eventually it will hit their bottom line. I, for one, will not take that gamble, especially with a company that seems to clearly be uninterested in the customer's actual satisfaction with their product and so unwilling to stand behind their product.

Additionally, if product manufactures don't design their products with some degree of reasonably anticipated consumer abuse (e.g., moving the tank, not having it perfectly 100% level, cleaning it incorrectly, etc.), then they'll need to accept the results from normal customers using their products normally (which most assuredly means their product won't be used perfectly).

That Red Sea is deleting negative posts rather than actually addressing the issue tells you alot of how they view their role in all of this and how much respect they give to those who use their products.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote red sea for customer service winner of the decade

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had asked in a prior thread if the 36" tanks fail, well I just came home to this. My e260 just failed.

20230317_200905.jpg
20230317_175904.jpg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had asked in a prior thread if the 36" tanks fail, well I just came home to this. My e260 just failed.

20230317_200905.jpg
That sucks man. Ratchet clamps and drain that sucker asap.
I just don’t get why these Chinese made tanks are so dominant on the market when there are several European made tanks with much better specs available.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man. Ratchet clamps and drain that sucker asap.
I just don’t get why these Chinese made tanks are so dominant on the market when there are several European made tanks with much better specs available.

Actually because the seam at the bottom was what failed, the ratchet straps made it leak faster. I went to a local guy, spent 2k on a new planet aquarium stank and stand. Things are transferred and so far it looks like I did not lose anything other than my zoa garden on the glass. 9 hours to do all of this, and it initially looked like I had an easy weekend until now.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually because the seam at the bottom was what failed, the ratchet straps made it leak faster. I went to a local guy, spent 2k on a new planet aquarium stank and stand. Things are transferred and so far it looks like I did not lose anything other than my zoa garden on the glass. 9 hours to do all of this, and it initially looked like I had an easy weekend until now.
Good man for acting so fast. That could have been a real disaster.

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a suspicion that almost everyone on this thread flexing has never owned a RS tank.. As a business owner customers do all kinds of things that are blatantly obvious and then blame the manufacturer. I'm not saying this is the case here but it happens alot. Nobody is twisting your arm to buy one so move on. I never knew reef2reef had so many Karen's.
Really Karen GIF by MOODMAN
Lol so your that guy?

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 250xl and a innovative marine 100 ext. I've never had to deal with red sea cs thank jeebus but I had a few back and forth emails from IM and they are awesome to their customers.

I personally, don't blame someone wanting to keep an aquarium in an apt, I think calling them irresponsible like they were asking for it is just plain wrong and out of touch. If a line of stoves were setting kitchens on fire would you blame the renter? If an upstairs water heater busts a leak do you jump on water heater forums saying how having one upstairs is irresponsible? You buy these things with an understanding that a business that sells these things should be competent enough in their manufacturing to the point of minimizing risk. To me, red sea didn't just have a bad run of tanks go wrong, they basically did damage control with the public telling people the product was fine, standing behind poorly designed stands and busted seams until they could roll out fixes instead of standing behind their customers who put their trust in them. I don't get why people have such brand loyalty to the point when a company messes up they will defend the company who produced faulty products rather than the poor sap with flood damage and repair bills because an aquarium company didn't know how to make an aquarium..

As for used tank being moved being the issue, if your tank can't be trusted to be moved a couple times over the span of years then you should get out of the box holds water business

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230317_200905.jpg
20230317_175904.jpg

This is getting crazy. I can't recall the last seam burst/tank fail I have seen that was not a Red Sea. They just keep coming too.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never buy another rimless tank do too my RS experience no matter how good the other manufacturers are. The problem is that the LFS's in my area all sell them. It sounds like they "Fixed" the issue with the G2 version and are going to ride the wave out. But the wave is never going to go away, as people jump out of the hobby and sell these tanks these incidents will continue to happen even more. I gave mine away to someone who was going to take the whole thing apart and re-seam it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they were a seller on the site we could socially inquire of them in public much better. they're too big to need us it gives them some shielding from account

I don't have a dog in the fight, my reef isn't a square. am interested in the pattern posted by hundreds and how that moves markets, how pressure develops for change off web posts, how momentum begins online. I truly have never seen this many break association posts with another brand- there aren't 250 my biocube seam broke posts in one thread, for example.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a rimless tank for just such reasons. I've been in the hobby 20 years and every tank I've owned has had a rim.

Yes, I know... aesthetics...

But the simple fact is that rimmed tanks can be made to look nice.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is getting crazy. I can't recall the last seam burst/tank fail I have seen that was not a Red Sea. They just keep coming too.

We have not seen any WB…yet. I personally believe this to be a rimless tank issue vs Red Sea, WB may not have 2-5 year tanks yet. Although if I was right we would see more failures of other brands…

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230317_200905.jpg
20230317_175904.jpg
That's concerning. I am hoping for the best on a Reefer 250 v3. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with the Max Nano in over two years. It's currently in wait of an extra location or a new home.

Back