Red Sea reefer vs deluxe

Blackfish823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on my reef tank. I am interested in a Red sea reefer 170 or the 250. I am leaning more into the 250 as it has more space. My plan is to end up with a mixed reef aquarium. Should I go with the deluxe version or just go with a reefer and get the lights separate. What are your thoughts on this. Let me know. Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your lighting preference. If you like Aqua Illumination lights the deluxe is the way to go. But if you were considering a different route such as t5s, or another led brand such as kessil, I'd get the regular without lights :)

OP
OP
B

Blackfish823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your lighting preference. If you like Aqua Illumination lights the deluxe is the way to go. But if you were considering a different route such as t5s, or another led brand such as kessil, I'd get the regular without lights :)

thanks for your reply. The problem for a newbie like me, is I don't know what lights would be best. Since I don't have any experience with any, I don't have any brand loyalty. I guess I need to do more research.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your reply. The problem for a newbie like me, is I don't know what lights would be best. Since I don't have any experience with any, I don't have any brand loyalty. I guess I need to do more research.
Part of the huge problem with lighting is that there isnt really a best. Take me for example, I absolutely love kessil lighting. The shimmer, color blending and simplicity of there use is a real attention grabber for me. You literally pick a preset color by kessil and boom you're done. They dont give you alot of options when it comes to spectral control. Now AI or Ecotech lights, they give you the keys to the spectral kingdom and give you slider bars for each individual color and let you play around with different settings. A other thing to consider is that kessils (the a160-a360) are not controllable without some sort of external controller such as the kessil controller or your apex. The AI lights are wifi controllable right out of the box. The ecotech radions are wifi controllable but you must purchase a separate module to do so. So each light has their perks and downfalls. Again there is no "best" all a matter of personal preference. I would strongly suggest checking out each light, make a list of the pros and cons and then weighing out yourself and come to a conclusion that way :)

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never use T5 but I have a redsea deluxe and I am happy with the lights but I've been leaning towards some radions G4's because I've seen some tanks with those lights and the corals seem to pop a little more on some colors :) I have to agree with @Crabs Mcjones about the shimmer displayed by kessil lights it is beautiful. So in the end its all up to you. Also leds give you alot of customisation but when I first got my tank I was new just like you and all that customization threw me through a loop and I was lost. It took me a wile to dial in the lights I needed much help from people here in this community. Overall I am happy with the lights that came with the tank. So whatever it may be you choose to go with rmeebr there are alot of really kind people here that will help you with anything you may need ;)

BedrockIOMC

Never to salty, Just don't go over 35.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend for you to get on youtube and just spend time checking out all the reviews on lights. you'll get to see a lot of how they all work and what they look like. take your time and check out as many as you can. it should help.

Ari_Ball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefer are good , but I don't like the sump of it, because it is actually very small for the tank. but it is still perfect reef tank setup.

OP
OP
B

Blackfish823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the deluxe version, how does the light mount attach to the back panel of the aquarium? does it just clamp on the back?

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the deluxe version, how does the light mount attach to the back panel of the aquarium? does it just clamp on the back?
No, actually. I think the old versions did, but the new ones do not. it's pretty awesome actually. I'm cycling a Reefer 450 deluxe right now. Below is a photo of the light attachment spots. The tank actually comes with drilled holes at the top filled in with plastic plugs. On the inside of the tank, the plugs are just that flat black plastic you see. But on the back of the tank the plugs are recessed with threads. The deluxe comes with mounting arms for the lights with actually screw in to the back of the plugs. It results in a super clean look. Love it.

I would recommend the deluxe if you like the lights. The Hydra Twentysixes are good LEDs with lots of options. A couple tips though. First, the lights all have wifi built in, which is the ONLY way to control them. You use the MyAI app to do so. However, the wifi built in to them is utter crap. All of my wifi devices in our house get full bars from our wifi connection at the tank, but the lights care barely connect and one (the one furthest from the router) would routinely lose connection and go unresponsive. I bought a $20 TP Link Wifi range extender on Amazon and plugged it in behind the tank. Still only get 1-2 of a possible 3 bars, but it has solved the problem. So make sure your router is very close to your tank (AI actually recommends within 4 meters, which is pretty close) or plan on getting a cheap repeater. You can also connect to the lights' wifi network directly, and bypass this issue completely, however that means you'll have to disconnect from your home wifi, connect to the lights, make your changes, and then connect back to your home wifi to get internet again. You probably don't want to do that.

Second tip would be to check with your LFS on the price. Many of them do not buy from Red Sea but from a distributor and can get them cheaper than you'll see online. Normal price for the Reefer 450 Deluxe in white is $3,400. I got mine from my LFS for $3,000 and he threw in $200 in livestock credit. IF you like the lights, the best deal is the deluxe. Also, the Hydra Twentysixes are some of the lowest cost name brand LEDs out there, so if you think you can save money by getting your own lighting, you probably can't unless you go with some of the Chinese black boxes on eBay.

EsEoZpskxGQ58Qmp8Yxy8T_pv1fTT4Pm4g3UY03i76zYwNz1AhjV9mRv-ma8v16zgL0QY5xmmdYlMT5KaffMDsN31D62k0kIaKuzqrPRY_-A_R9v1N1Tj_raSqF8EMCgDacgGm8dLNd3Et_N-xvO5eayYBlS2-dI9ctbWrWqDm7vCNN1XvWFrdolie3qsnFueGa2_o2TshpxjquFV13SUWq-3_GI8sY7DCORoFuKlYpo1gwdUnuQ3meaR4Y7ZfnbRLWG1g5UQHDxlokdFb-3c8bzIHGlURiTW9_SJqPaWFi7EDrU9l4vmaA5AVukQX0RneSsFsz1-p7oen5xUK3-MdipUz7NNWTL1qV8_Nw05UqIZcaIGQowZBO6xh2ooQH2R6gjKjDFjXz2Is_4CCWmUy3_Qowj6jfUcIIEVZNdEuJjHDgiYD89Nr2wgRNHqsMilFLUc3lci0BGlHfwSZJavQM1a4vSzQvVFcxBA52JZ87Nahurmjb01158qQGwEn6CfbnYqKQjNt4TLF1kA1qhrxrwyQPJz_T14j_7_7KxzwBpO4wfhLnEg2MHsKuUMj7ZXN0Cf2mTs0gvCsqZIOAUrkciKe4O3qmTTJmaeD4C=w2304-h1728-no

nr3LuJwEbqXueO2rV9GFZjnkRasH1iNverQypYQNvcmp-o0vAGIxtv7OFzEyPj1Du417-I2wlmNNWsvMTo1gEbmIwuv-CgzhPDJvZiOyp4t8Af-5adLDbB3NT8zlCvsszf30MzCuwLpqOSUU92swTz2XQi31YcGjUD556iz9j-3I-YO36sQN41LsySPwl2oGiID_jfuuUBJPp2eZBtWlqxNPqppzT_s0N5WuuDXvoY7_vtbrLuhMugUqis108Uat_GE0iQx6cOHg4m3B_SZVvQGI9rk7p7sCnJJEu66RKztfj22C9ICauUkwxdcMVWzLpRbUv-LY0Cy9OSYXk-Fqp8gBbtQj7RjLQNDy6rCUVUe4Clh33ccisIGZBFQERb9Nks56lIHSwrmxCfmmIujJKf04YT5V2_lo9zMZDTvwvSZJ1I5H3FEmaB7ejomLzoIYiouB03gC4-gKwpRmqOEozaozAX28Dj0I2l1vXVX6aaU4cMXUN1WfDpyErq8iYdw1gaU1B18XHDr8w53MTG1erZKDq1hHj0Xl4f2zh7p0tWIrudbJ0dljt45v1-WJ03X9rVz6H7iadjwF-VXuR_DZEH3PjpI1Dzkb2LCkYTYU=w2304-h1728-no

OP
OP
B

Blackfish823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, actually. I think the old versions did, but the new ones do not. it's pretty awesome actually. I'm cycling a Reefer 450 deluxe right now. Below is a photo of the light attachment spots. The tank actually comes with drilled holes at the top filled in with plastic plugs. On the inside of the tank, the plugs are just that flat black plastic you see. But on the back of the tank the plugs are recessed with threads. The deluxe comes with mounting arms for the lights with actually screw in to the back of the plugs. It results in a super clean look. Love it.

I would recommend the deluxe if you like the lights. The Hydra Twentysixes are good LEDs with lots of options. A couple tips though. First, the lights all have wifi built in, which is the ONLY way to control them. You use the MyAI app to do so. However, the wifi built in to them is utter crap. All of my wifi devices in our house get full bars from our wifi connection at the tank, but the lights care barely connect and one (the one furthest from the router) would routinely lose connection and go unresponsive. I bought a $20 TP Link Wifi range extender on Amazon and plugged it in behind the tank. Still only get 1-2 of a possible 3 bars, but it has solved the problem. So make sure your router is very close to your tank (AI actually recommends within 4 meters, which is pretty close) or plan on getting a cheap repeater. You can also connect to the lights' wifi network directly, and bypass this issue completely, however that means you'll have to disconnect from your home wifi, connect to the lights, make your changes, and then connect back to your home wifi to get internet again. You probably don't want to do that.

Second tip would be to check with your LFS on the price. Many of them do not buy from Red Sea but from a distributor and can get them cheaper than you'll see online. Normal price for the Reefer 450 Deluxe in white is $3,400. I got mine from my LFS for $3,000 and he threw in $200 in livestock credit. IF you like the lights, the best deal is the deluxe. Also, the Hydra Twentysixes are some of the lowest cost name brand LEDs out there, so if you think you can save money by getting your own lighting, you probably can't unless you go with some of the Chinese black boxes on eBay.

EsEoZpskxGQ58Qmp8Yxy8T_pv1fTT4Pm4g3UY03i76zYwNz1AhjV9mRv-ma8v16zgL0QY5xmmdYlMT5KaffMDsN31D62k0kIaKuzqrPRY_-A_R9v1N1Tj_raSqF8EMCgDacgGm8dLNd3Et_N-xvO5eayYBlS2-dI9ctbWrWqDm7vCNN1XvWFrdolie3qsnFueGa2_o2TshpxjquFV13SUWq-3_GI8sY7DCORoFuKlYpo1gwdUnuQ3meaR4Y7ZfnbRLWG1g5UQHDxlokdFb-3c8bzIHGlURiTW9_SJqPaWFi7EDrU9l4vmaA5AVukQX0RneSsFsz1-p7oen5xUK3-MdipUz7NNWTL1qV8_Nw05UqIZcaIGQowZBO6xh2ooQH2R6gjKjDFjXz2Is_4CCWmUy3_Qowj6jfUcIIEVZNdEuJjHDgiYD89Nr2wgRNHqsMilFLUc3lci0BGlHfwSZJavQM1a4vSzQvVFcxBA52JZ87Nahurmjb01158qQGwEn6CfbnYqKQjNt4TLF1kA1qhrxrwyQPJz_T14j_7_7KxzwBpO4wfhLnEg2MHsKuUMj7ZXN0Cf2mTs0gvCsqZIOAUrkciKe4O3qmTTJmaeD4C=w2304-h1728-no

nr3LuJwEbqXueO2rV9GFZjnkRasH1iNverQypYQNvcmp-o0vAGIxtv7OFzEyPj1Du417-I2wlmNNWsvMTo1gEbmIwuv-CgzhPDJvZiOyp4t8Af-5adLDbB3NT8zlCvsszf30MzCuwLpqOSUU92swTz2XQi31YcGjUD556iz9j-3I-YO36sQN41LsySPwl2oGiID_jfuuUBJPp2eZBtWlqxNPqppzT_s0N5WuuDXvoY7_vtbrLuhMugUqis108Uat_GE0iQx6cOHg4m3B_SZVvQGI9rk7p7sCnJJEu66RKztfj22C9ICauUkwxdcMVWzLpRbUv-LY0Cy9OSYXk-Fqp8gBbtQj7RjLQNDy6rCUVUe4Clh33ccisIGZBFQERb9Nks56lIHSwrmxCfmmIujJKf04YT5V2_lo9zMZDTvwvSZJ1I5H3FEmaB7ejomLzoIYiouB03gC4-gKwpRmqOEozaozAX28Dj0I2l1vXVX6aaU4cMXUN1WfDpyErq8iYdw1gaU1B18XHDr8w53MTG1erZKDq1hHj0Xl4f2zh7p0tWIrudbJ0dljt45v1-WJ03X9rVz6H7iadjwF-VXuR_DZEH3PjpI1Dzkb2LCkYTYU=w2304-h1728-no

Thank you so much for that information. I see what your saying that with the deluxe model, the light mount looks flushed to the aquarium. Lets say if you changed the lights in the future with a different brand, you just take the red sea light mount and leave the plugs to cover the holes? Your tanks looks awesome by the way.

MermaidMarie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blackfish, when I was a kid, I wired my own t-8 fixtures to ballasts and mounted them to wood canopies and added metal halids and big computer fans.. that's the old school way that works just as well as LEDs IMO. I had never used LEDs until I started my most recent tank over a month ago. What I've noticed is that they allow me more control over adjusting the spectrum of lights which allows your lights to evolve as your experience with different corals evolve - they give off less heat - energy efficient, dont have to change out the bulbs every 6-8 months and so on... even as a seasoned reefer, it's a good idea to measure the par of LEDs on your tank when you set them up to ensure your not giving your corals too much or too little. It's more expensive initially - but if you value convenience and all the perks that come with LEDs, then they are for you. I personally believe that I wouldn't have such an appreciation for these eco systems without going through the old school reefing ways of the 90's. Whatever you chose, as you developed your reefkeeping knowledge, keep it enjoyable AND affordable for YOUR budget. And remember - just because something works for someone else's ecosystem, doesn't mean it will work for yours - they each have thier own quirks just like us! :) Best of luck to you my fishy friend.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI...

The new Red Sea deluxe versions do not come with the AI lights anymore. They are now shipping with Red Sea lights, (ReefLED90 I believe). If you buy one from your LFS, you may be able to get the older version with the AI lights if you prefer, or you can check out the new Red Sea lights. I have not done any research on them since they came out, so I do not know how good. (or bad) they are, but you could probably find some reviews if you Google them.

Back