Red Sea Reefer XL 300 Build NSA (Second Tank)

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that @ColoredRock. I have yes. We tested the crap out of the water at the LFS. Nothing seems amis.... I must have just made a mistake somewhere, underfed, over stressed or something. currently still the YWG, Fairy Wrasse, and Long Nose Hawkfish are doing fine and I'm feeing the crap out of them. Heavy in, heavy out....

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update. Lost the Fairy Wrasse on December 8th. He was fine in the tank and the next day pretty listless and darting, but looked like he couldn't swim. I euthanized him...

Kicking off the new year with a new outlook of nameless fish.

The browns are gone now and getting a bit more greens/purples on the rocks. Pods seemed to do a great job of knocking out the excess algae.

In the QT are a Blackest White Ocellaris, Chocolate Mocha Ocellaris, and a Lawnmower blenny. And there they will stay for 2 weeks minimum. Tank is really starting to look sweet. Getting good growth and expansion on the Zoas/polyps.

IMG_2682.jpg
Close up of "Stacky" and his pods buddies.
IMG_2686.jpg

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing Seachem 2 part. 1.5oz per night. Keeping parameters pretty stable. Finally got the skimmer dialed so it can run all day, except when feeding and I turn off the return. I wish I had a good way to keep the sump from back filling when return is off. I've read about the hole in the top trick, but I haven't seen it in action and don't want to spray the walls by making a mistake.

The clowns and the blenny have moved into the Reefer DT and are doing great. I'm happy I moved then because two days later I got a call that the Blue Hippo Tang I ordered was in. Now there's room in the QT for him and the Purple Scale Fairy Wrasse that is his buddy.
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2732.jpg

Last edited:

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started dosing Seachem 2 part. 1.5oz per night. Keeping parameters pretty stable. Finally got the skimmer dialed so it can run all day, except when feeding and I turn off the return. I wish I had a good way to keep the sump from back filling when return is off. I've read about the hole in the top trick, but I haven't seen it in action and don't want to spray the walls by making a mistake.

The clowns and the blenny have moved into the Reefer DT and are doing great. I'm happy I moved then because two days later I got a call that the Blue Hippo Tang I ordered was in. Now there's room in the QT for him and the Purple Scale Fairy Wrasse that is his buddy.
IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2732.jpg
I think the sump backfilling is normal when you kill your return pump…. I lift the nozzle out of the water as soon as I turn the pump off it reduces the amount that goes back into the sump.

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation @Supa! I'm not worried about it for me, but more for when feeding activities are turned over to a family member or visitor when/if I get to travel. I think an Apex could solve almost all of these problems, but I'm not into that cost, just yet. If I could turn off/pause the return for feeding and not have it explode the skimmer would even be good, the skimmer part is the sticky wicket here right now. The return has a pause, the skimmer is just on or off....

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest update. The little blue tang died in QT, but the wrasse made it out. QT tank now broken down and stored until new fish come in. Been battling a pretty bad bubble algae outbreak and now find myself square in the middle of the Vibrant drama. Vibrant has been making a bit of difference in the tank, but bubble algae was pretty bad. Trying to manually remove as much as possible but some is very tricky without removing rockwork and that's a bit of a gnarly to do process. I don't know what this giant emerald crab is doing, but it doesn't look like he's eating bubble algae. :)

Have been doing NeoNitro to bring nitrates up to range. Finally got above 8ppm last week, so backing down on the dosing to level off. Fish in good shape and most corals in great shape save two newer encrusting corals which seem to have bleached out or something. Still letting them ride as I work though the algae issue.

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHA. Well I'm an idiot. I didn't read the instructions on the Hanna HRN checker and was measuring Nitrates too quickly. This lead me to overdose NeoNitro and push nitrates up to around 50ppm.... Algae mostly gone, now red slime breakout.... ***. Did two, 20% WCs this weekend and got Nitrates down to low 40s... keep changing water over the week and testing params to keep everything lined up.... It's always an adventure...

Fish look good, some corals having problems opening, but not to worry at this point. Slow and steady wins the race....

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded the pump in the RedSea RSK-300 from the psk-600->PSK SDC 1200 which fits perfectly and GREATLY reduces the noise this skimmer puts out. Yes, the new pump is basically the price of the skimmer.... Can also now run it in MUCH deeper water.

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:
Skimmer is now fully ReefRun compatable
Updated the main pump to a ReefRun 5500 (both so I can control with ReefBeat app)

Added a manifold that fits in the stock place.

A clown fish jumped out while we were on vacation (fit through the space between the net and the tank)

In QT going main tank on Friday:
Wyoming White Clown
Horned Blenny
Long Nose Hawk Fish

Here's hoping I can keep this crew from jumping out/getting sick/starving

Ohh, and the bubble algae is back....

Attachments

• IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4293.jpeg
    IMG_4293.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 16

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates:
Skimmer is now fully ReefRun compatable
Updated the main pump to a ReefRun 5500 (both so I can control with ReefBeat app)

Added a manifold that fits in the stock place.

A clown fish jumped out while we were on vacation (fit through the space between the net and the tank)

In QT going main tank on Friday:
Wyoming White Clown
Horned Blenny
Long Nose Hawk Fish

Here's hoping I can keep this crew from jumping out/getting sick/starving

Ohh, and the bubble algae is back....
Best of luck with the new fish!

OP
OP
scoger

scoger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horned blenny died in QT. went from happy to not in 2days. Happy he didn’t make it to DT. The other two are still good no signs of illness…

Back