Return pump: TMC Reef-Pump Connect 5000
Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 150-S Protein Skimmer
UV: None
Heating: D&D temperature controller and 600w titanium heater
Dosing: ReefDose 4
Fleece roller: ReefMat 500

Water/Utility:
2 x 75.7l Brute with dollies and lid
1 x Growmax Power 500 (3 stage) plus 2 stage de-ionization kit (already owned)
1 x Sicce Ultra Zero

Rock: 23kg Caribsea Life Rock
Sand: 2-3mm Aragonite, 36kg (80lbs)

Water testing:
D&D refractometer
Salifert kits + API ammonia

Fish wish list:
2 Percula Clownfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Midas Blenny
5 Blue Reef Chromis
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Powder Blue Tang (yes, I know, but this is the reason I got the tank in the first place!)

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start.. however shop around and read as much as you can. I see you list allot of “RedSea” products. Buying all one brand isn’t needed. There are lots of great components made by other companies too.

Water testing, Salifert is much better and easier than RS test kits.
Skimmers, that 600 is BIG and likely to big for the 425. I had one on my 625. I switched to a Reef Octopus and am happier for it.
Lighting, I like other types over the the RS brand.
Wave Pumps.. again look around.

RS is still very new in the pump and lighting game. I would use caution buying those till they are more proven.

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot @AZMSGT. There are so many bits of gear required! I have been a bit lazy and selected Red Sea where the reviews looked good at first glance. The hardest part in all this was convincing my girlfriend ;)

I think you've already changed my mind about the skimmer.
For the lights I was impressed by the PAR tests done by the guys at brstv on the RS 90 and I like the look of them. I have also looked at Radion but didn't like reports of the glare from the light so I'm still on the RS atm but will keep my mind open.

For the wave pumps I did no real research yet so I will definitely dig further and see if anything better stands out.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good luck, sounds like a fun build :)

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the 425 xl. Going to upgrade from a red sea 250. Does anyone know the dimensions of the rear overflow inside the display of the 425 xl? it is about 3 3/4' x 10 1/2" in the red Sea 250

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the 425 xl. Going to upgrade from a red sea 250. Does anyone know the dimensions of the rear overflow inside the display of the 425 xl? it is about 3 3/4' x 10 1/2" in the red Sea 250
Hey there, as an indirect measure I had a look in the user manuals for each and they both use the same part number (R42181) for the overflow box cover so these 2 should be identical:
Reefer 250: https://www.redseafish.com/wp-conte...eefer-250-V3-Cabinet-Aquarium-Manual_v18a.pdf
XL 425: https://www.redseafish.com/wp-conte...eefer-XL-425-Cabinet-Aquarium-Manual_v20a.pdf
Make sure to check the manual for your correct model though.

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS today, great advice there
We're going to place the order when the local Red Sea rep is back from holiday on Monday!

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 425. I have had it for a few weeks. You can check out my build thread.

I am using the reef octopus regal 250 INT. The controllable pump is really helpful. Even with the 250 I am needing to empty it at least 2-3 times/week although I am still trying to dial it in. Something to consider.

For the return pump you have to take the UV plumbing into account. I have the sicce 7.0 SDC. I have it turned up about 50%. I do like the controllability although once it is dialed in you should not need to adjust it any more unless you add plumbing/equipment.

I used a cheap jaebo sow-8 flow pump on one side and the reefwave25 (running at 50%) on the other side with plenty of flow. You may want to consider only one gyre to start and a cheap wave maker on the other side. You could then add another gyre later if needed. Unless you are all about symmetry, which I get. I am considering another reefwave25 for the left side just for that reason.

For lights, I love the Red Sea. I had 2 reefled50 on my previous tank so I just got one more otherwise I would have gotten 2 of the 90s. They are beautiful lights.

Consider a heater controller. It will prevent overheating. Mine also has a cooling plug and kicks on 2 fans I have behind my light mounts when my water temp reaches 81 since it gets warm is SoCal. (see pics below).
20201230_203834.jpg

I look forward to following your build ahead. Take lots of pics. Tons of fun.
20201230_203754.jpg

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tritonpower interesting point about the skimmer.
Do you have a very high bio load in your tank at the moment? 2-3 times a week sounds a lot on such a large skimmer.

At the LFS I asked for a 150-S and the guy told me with confidence that the 110-S was sufficient for the XL 425. He has a lot of these running and will help me set things up so I will let you know how that gets tuned once I have enough livestock in there.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tritonpower interesting point about the skimmer.
Do you have a very high bio load in your tank at the moment? 2-3 times a week sounds a lot on such a large skimmer.

At the LFS I asked for a 150-S and the guy told me with confidence that the 110-S was sufficient for the XL 425. He has a lot of these running and will help me set things up so I will let you know how that gets tuned once I have enough livestock in there.
My mistake. I have the regal 150 int. Not that much of a bio load. 2 tangs, 2 clowns, 3 pajama cardinals, 2 chalk bass, lawnmower blenny, watchman goby, diamond goby. I'd personally go as big that will fit. The 150 int fits great.

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered today, should be in here in 10 to 14 days! Got the Caribsea rock and aquascape is taking shape. Going to make something along these lines:
IMG_0155.jpeg

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread! I have a 425XL too, you might see some awesome ideas for your setup! You’ll love your Reefer!
Hey brs2430, great to see a neighbour on here! I'll check it out.
EDIT: oh there is a Staunton in VA, are you in the UK or US? :D

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes right next to me XD
Had to google it,hahahaha!
That’s crazy! I’m sure we don’t pronounce it the same way!
It’s spelled Staunton, but you say Stanton.
During the Civil War it was pronounced this way to give away the Yankee‘s away when they came through. Some think it could many other factors but that’s what most think it was for.

Love how Staunton UK is over 500 years older then where I live! Crazy!

OP
OP
Julbra

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank delivery delayed until (at least) 8th of Feb :'(
In the meantime I revised the aquascape slightly.

aquascape.jpeg

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank delivery delayed until (at least) 8th of Feb :'(
In the meantime I revised the aquascape slightly.

aquascape.jpeg
The issue I had with the aquascape is the overflow box sticks out quite a ways and creates 2 huge "corners". You will see when you put the rocks in. Looks good though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back