[Red Sea Reefer XXL 625] LED advice for SPS

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to purchase a Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 G2, as a tank upgrade from my Marineland 65g. I grow 90% SPS currently with an Aquatic Life t5 hybrid (ATI Blue+) and two AI Prime HD's.

I would prefer to stay with just LED's on the new tank, with an aesthetic mount option to look good with the rimless tank. To go with Radion XR30's is possible but would break my budget if I needed more than two. I would prefer to not go XR15's and have a "fleet" of lights mounted. I am happy with my AI's and would purchase that brand again. I've never had Kessil's but am open.

Really I'm looking for the fewest lights to cover the most amount of space for my SPS. I'm having trouble finding photos of actual tanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2x XR30 G5 Blues and 2x XR15 G5 Blues on my 750XXL (mostly a mix of LPS, SPS and soft). You may be ok with a pair of XR30 G6s or SKYs - but with 90% SPS you'll probably want more. Three XR30 G6s for an LED-only setup is probably what you'll need.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2x XR30 G5 Blues and 2x XR15 G5 Blues on my 750XXL (mostly a mix of LPS, SPS and soft). You may be ok with a pair of XR30 G6s or SKYs - but with 90% SPS you'll probably want more. Three XR30 G6s for an LED-only setup is probably what you'll need.

Does the overflow box allow for good arm-style mounting of the Radion? I'd prefer that mount vs the mount that sits on the tank top and suspends lights (lights seem like they'll sag). I suppose I could try a hanging setup, but the wife isn't really on board and I think the power wires hanging and getting them centered would be tough.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your primary focus is SPS, the hybrid led XR15 combo with T5s sure seems to have a high rate of success and T5s seem to offer superior tank viewing illumination also along with reasonable prices. If I was setting up a larger tank I would look at this option.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the overflow box allow for good arm-style mounting of the Radion? I'd prefer that mount vs the mount that sits on the tank top and suspends lights (lights seem like they'll sag). I suppose I could try a hanging setup, but the wife isn't really on board and I think the power wires hanging and getting them centered would be tough.
The XR30s do sag a bit more due to the weight, yes. On your Red Sea the overflow lid has a cutout that will accommodate a mount in the center at the rear.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back