OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the DT, you might want to make an apex display in the cabinet. I built one out of plywood with hinges and deadbolts so the top folds down allowing me to work on moving stuff around.

Yep! Looks nice! My plan is to do a "false wall" to get it organized. And I'm probably going to mount an older iPad as well to display Apex Fusion vs. using their display unit. Where are you hiding your sump?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Looks nice! My plan is to do a "false wall" to get it organized. And I'm probably going to mount an older iPad as well to display Apex Fusion vs. using their display unit. Where are you hiding your sump?
My tank is an aio...

ACD446D2-C575-4722-8BFF-461DED1EB6D0.jpeg

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update?

Mp60x2 plus mp40x2, is that too much?

Well. Maybe. But because I really want to make sure it's too much, I went with 4xMP40 and 2xMP60.. I guess they will all pretty much be on 5% ;-) .. But at least I hope to be able to suspend all the crap in the water column and export it instead of needing to syphon things out too frequently..

I'm going to write up a little update later. Still no water in the tank, but getting very close (too much work and kids and life and stuff ;-)

1586815484287.png

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Here we go. Another build thread.

My daughter got a freshwater tank from her godparents in September and after messing with "her" tank for a month to make it look a little more like something I am willing to look at daily, I decided (as in my wife told me) that I should rather have my own tank vs. messing with hers. Little did my wife know what this "accidental okay" would mean.

I grew up with freshwater tanks and I don't ever remember thinking about saltwater growing up, however - the nerd I am - I started venturing into some reef YouTube channels a few months ago and got hooked. Many (many!!) hours later I was through all of the BRS series and a good chunk of other folks content and started ordering bits and pieces here and there.

Here are the big decisions I made:

1. Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL.
The biggest one I can fit comfortably and - knowing me - I rather go big from the start. Once I regret the whole thing, it at least won't be because of the size ;-)

2. APEX everywhere.
I work in tech and part of the fascination with saltwater tanks is the combination of technology and, well, life. I will most likely go absolutely overboard on the gadget-side of things and surely rely way to much on it, but hey, that's what I chose (yep, there is an ApexEL on my daughters freshwater tank).

3. Automatic Water Changes via Neptune DOS.
Carrying buckets of saltwater across our wood floors and through my kids play area might not be a successful path to keeping a happy marriage.

4. RO/DI and Mixing Station in the Garage.
The big question here was not the Mixing Station, but rather how I connect to water and waste lines for RO/DI. While I first thought of the laundry room upstairs, I was not liking the mental acrobatics to think through how I would get the water into the garage. Eventually I just decided to hook the RO/DI into the water heater cold water and emergency drain lines. And yes, I really thought it through.

5. Quarantine tanks for (a) fish and (b) invertebrates and coral.
I better try hard to stick to the hobby for a while. I'm quite certain that I will encounter tons of issue while learning, however avoidable pests in the display tank should ideally be not one of them. Two additional tanks and the setup I'm thinking of are also costly, however in my mind it's worth it.

That's it for now. The mixing station is already up and running and I'll follow up with a more detailed post and photos shortly.
Awesome. Looking forward to following.

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After plumbing is done and I'm waiting for a hose to fill the tank, I am working on the aquascape. Here's "today's" version. I am planning on walking into the garage 10 times a day and let it sink in. But my initial thoughts are positive.

It's Marco Rock, mostly their shelf rock and foundation pieces.

Any feedback? I'm sure I'm missing something I will regret later ;-)

IMG_2194.jpeg
IMG_2195.jpeg

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And there it is with some water.

Tank is cycling and my daughter and I have our little water-testing ritual every night. Looks like it might be cycled in a week or so (using MicroBacter Start XLM and MicroBacter QuikCycl) at which point we will be thinking about moving the two clown fish from the quarantine system to the display tank.

The clowns are in the QT tank since January and will probably be happy to get some more room. The corals will stay in QT for a little longer and not sure yet when I move the clean-up-crew from the coral QT.

Next up is good research on a fish stocking list. I do need to get some algae eaters in, maybe starting with a yellow tang. We'll see.

Let me know if you have good strategies or ideas for fish for a bare-bottom tank!

IMG_2256.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, love the lighting system. Kinda wish that was the route I went with.

I would pull that right part of your aquascape and build it up sum more. Get it to at least half height of the tank.

Since it’s a bare bottom stay away from anything that needs sand to be happy. Gobys are the first thing to come to mind. All the fish I have in my tank are doing great with a bare bottom.

And on more thing, Holy powerheads Batman! LOL

Pricey89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be great to get an update on this. I’m just setting up a Reefer 625XXL myself.... I’m amazed at the equipment you’ve invested in... particularly the 4xMP40 and 2xMP60’s lol

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Maybe. But because I really want to make sure it's too much, I went with 4xMP40 and 2xMP60.. I guess they will all pretty much be on 5% ;-) .. But at least I hope to be able to suspend all the crap in the water column and export it instead of needing to syphon things out too frequently..

I'm going to write up a little update later. Still no water in the tank, but getting very close (too much work and kids and life and stuff ;-)

1586815484287.png
What are you using for your controller board? looks Great by the way

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Adaptive Reef Controller Cabinet. Not cheap, but I'm very happy with it :)
I also have some of their Mounting Boards, which I do like - however they do not provide enough space behind the front board to mount everything I need.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great so far. I really liked the original scape you had laid out. Always fun to see another local build. Following along.

Pricey89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish! Just came back from a week of travel and I see Algae everywhere. But I am told everywhere that that first year with a bare bottom would be tough.. ;-)
I did order 2 MP40’s for my tank in addition to my 2 XF350’s but then I chickened out and cancelled the order because it wasn’t a sensible purchase.... Soon I will have them though lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back