Red Sea Reefer XXL 750 Build

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Christmas in April my reefer 750 xxl came today. Looking forward to documenting this new build.

750xxl.jpg

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank! I know the feeling! I want one to but I don't have the room. I look forward to seeing your build thread

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a week since the tank stand was setup and the tank was placed on the stand. With Easter, and two sick kids I finally got the opportunity to start plumbing yesterday. The first order of business was to add additional support to my floor by placing 4 steel jack posts in the basement under the floor. A few years ago I had a brand new 300g Marineland DD tank whose seal failed and I had 22k worth of damage to my main floor. While I'm sure it was a manufacturing flaw, I spoke to a marine biologist friend who indicated that accounting for deflection when a tank over 125gallons is on a main floor to avoid micro-vibration is important, I left nothing to chance and placed 4 jack posts in the basement. Whether it was overkill or not is irrelevant in my mind as I can sleep better at night.

I already had 1 inch PVC lines at the ready from my 90 gallon that was my interim tank in that space, so I utilized those two lines as well as added a third line for the emergency drain. By following some advice online from fellow 750xxl reefers( great youtube vid from R&J Reefs) I sanded down the 1 inch PVC and glued it to the existing Red Sea Plumbing, Everything is hard plumbed into the basement (the wet lab!) where the sump is on a cement block stand. Today I will hard plumb the return pump which is a Vectra L1, as well as plumbed the drains in to the sump. Additionally I plan on using the ATO reservoir as a fuge which I will be drilling in the next several days Pics to follow. Plans will be for a SPS dominated display. Equipment for the tank listed below.

Return Pump: Ecotechmarine Vectra L1
Skimmer: ASM g4
Flow: 2 Vortech Mp60
Lighting: 3 Radion G4pros for display,1 radion Gen 3 pro, radion XR15 gen4 pro for fuge
Controller: Apex Neptune
2 Part Dosing: DOS
Auto Water Change: DOS
UV Sterilizer: Aqua UV

Last edited:

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a week since the tank stand was setup and the tank was placed on the stand. With Easter, and two sick kids I finally got the opportunity to start plumbing yesterday. The first order of business was to add additional support to my floor by placing 4 steel jack posts in the basement under the floor. A few years ago I had a brand new 300g Marineland DD tank whose seal failed and I had 22k worth of damage to my main floor. While I'm sure it was a manufacturing flaw, I spoke to a marine biologist friend who indicated that accounting for deflection when a tank over 125gallons is on a main floor to avoid micro-vibration is important, I left nothing to chance and placed 4 jack posts in the basement. Whether it was overkill or not is irrelevant in my mind as I can sleep better at night.

I already had 1 inch PVC lines at the ready from my 90 gallon that was my interim tank in that space, so I utilized those two lines as well as added a third line for the emergency drain. By following some advice online from fellow 750xxl reefers( great youtube vid from R&J Reefs) I sanded down the 1 inch PVC and glued it to the existing Red Sea Plumbing, Everything is hard plumbed into the basement (the wet lab!) where the sump is on a cement block stand. Today I will hard plumb the return pump which is a Vectra L1, as well as plumbed the drains in to the sump. Additionally I plan on using the ATO reservoir as a fuge which I will be drilling in the next several days Pics to follow. Plans will be for a SPS dominated display. Equipment for the tank listed below.

Return Pump: Ecotechmarine Vectra L1
Skimmer: ASM g4
Flow: 2 Vortech Mp60
Lighting: 3 Radion G4pros for display, radion XR15 gen4 pro for fuge
Controller: Apex Neptune
2 Part Dosing: DOS
Auto Water Change: DOS
UV Sterilizer: Aqua UV

I had a structural engineer take a look at mine and determined things would be fine (I have the peninsula 650L) and it runs parallel with the floor joists... I understand completely on the interest of being safe than sorry I honestly wish I had reinforced to prevent the sway that happens when people walk around the tank. I hear its not as good to reinforce while the tank is in place... Good luck looking forward to the build. Check out the youtube in my sig if you're interested in the setup.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a structural engineer take a look at mine and determined things would be fine (I have the peninsula 650L) and it runs parallel with the floor joists... I understand completely on the interest of being safe than sorry I honestly wish I had reinforced to prevent the sway that happens when people walk around the tank. I hear its not as good to reinforce while the tank is in place... Good luck looking forward to the build. Check out the youtube in my sig if you're interested in the setup.
Took a look at your youtube footage. Wonderful build. The peninsula is a great tank!

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a busy week and I'm dangerously close to filling the tank. The last of my liverock is dechlorinating today. I got the sump plumbed into the basement. I also drilled the ATO reservoir to serve as a small pod and chaeto fuge. Here a some pics of my progress so far.
IMG_9486.jpg
IMG_9487 (1).jpg

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will get pics out soon. Just got an iphone X. Today I added another 20lbs of sand as when I programmed my MP60s the fiji pink was flying all over the place so I added some Carib Sea special grade. Did the trick. I also got the vectra up to 90% flow and used my drain valve to get it virtually silent! It took some playing around but now its perfect. Added some substrate to my fuge. Have macro algae and pods coming in from algae barn later in the week. Once the tank clears I'll get some pics out!

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so tank is cycling. FTS and some plumbing and power panel pics posted. Tank will be light free for the next 4 weeks to cycle. Plumbed my 132 gallon mixing station today. Pics of QT, coral QT and mixing station to follow.

Back