rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, Newcomer to R2R, but been using this forum as a resource on my current build. Wanted to share this and hopefully pick up some info from you more experienced folks along the way. This is my second mixed reef tank, had one at my office a few years back, but decided to take it down and give livestock to a friend, as I was travelling a lot.

Here is what this build includes:

Red Sea Reefer XXL 750
(4) AI Hydra 64HD Lights
(2) Vortechs MP40s
(1) Neptune COR20
Red Sea Reefer 900 Protein Skimmer
Neptune APEX Control System
Neptune Trident
(3) Neptune DOS - (1) for dosing 2 part, (1) for Mag and TBD, (1) for automatic water change
WXM module to integrate Vortechs powerheads into APEX. Very easy and would recommend this.
(2) Finnex 500W Titanium Heater

Here is a few pics of the build so far. I just got the system up and running....took 1.5 days to fill with water. I added ammonium choride and let that circulate for a little over 24hrs and then added Fritz Turbo Start 900 at 2x strength. Going to test water in 5-6 days and see where things are sitting.

I used all STAX Rocks by two little fishies. I was really happy with the quality of the rock and the flexibility it provided. Just make sure you rinse with RODI really well before adding.

Still making my mind up on what fish I will add first, but considering a pair of clowns to make it easy. I will have a large variety of Wrasses, Anthias, and down the road a male/female pair of crosshatch triggers.

Please forgive the wire mess! I am having a piece of 1/2" HDPE board custom made that will fit inside my cabinet and I will mount all equipment displays on the front of it and then put all excess wires and power supplies, etc on the back of it so it will make everything look really clean. I am going to make some feet for the HDPE board to sit down into with my 3D printer. My goal is to not drill anything into the Red Sea stand.

VERY OPEN to suggestions if anyone wants to chime in with ideas.

Thank goodness for suction cups.....FYI didn't use them to carry the tank....just to make final adjustments and alignment.
Tank on Stand with suction cups.jpg

STAX rocks drying after RODI bath.

STAX Rocks After RODI Bath.jpg

Probably my 4th or 5th attempt at aquascaping. Made a few minor changes after this but overall very happy with the way it turned out.

STAX Rocks2.jpg

Added live sand and started filling with RODI.

Tank Filling.jpg

My new RODI maker that I would highly recommend. Has an on board pump to keep pressure up and water making more efficient. Super pumped I am getting 0 PPM after RO........my DI is going to last for forever!

RODI maker.jpg

DT starting to get full, still have a few inches and the sump to go.

STAX Rocks1.jpg

Tank as of today. Still a little cloudy from making minor aquascape changes and stirring sand to get all the air out.

Tank Running and Cycling.jpg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get the center support brace with the tank? you deff, need that.
+1, make sure you hit Red Sea up for the support brace. It's basically a recall style item on the 750 tank stand. They should send it to you free once you call and register that tank. I like the Stax rocks. Looking good.

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, make sure you hit Red Sea up for the support brace. It's basically a recall style item on the 750 tank stand. They should send it to you free once you call and register that tank. I like the Stax rocks. Looking good.

Thanks for the heads up on that! I’ll definitely get on that today. I read a lot about this tank before buying and never saw anyone mention this brace at all.

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have recommendations on what fish would be best to add at first? I have been going back and forth on this for a bit now.

Pretty sure I don’t want clowns and have them become territorial.

Don’t want something that relies on pods and algae in addition to regular feedings until further down the road.

Relatively hardy but I plan to go slow and make sure parameters stay very good.

I refuse to put Chromis or Cardinalfish in the tank.

End goal is relatively peaceful tank with fish more on the rare side of the spectrum.

Big fan of Anthias, Wrasses, Crosshatch Trigger,Mandarins, and want one bonded pair of clowns ( will wait for a nem).

Let me know your thoughts....Thanks in advance!

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the setup so far and that aquascape is gorgeous!! I used Stax also, there are so many ways to use that rock to get the look you want.

Are there any other fish that are relatively hardy and shy that you were considering or like? Those type would be the best candidates for first introductions, imho. I agree on the clown becoming a menace. I made that mistake and just last week, had one of my clowns kill her mate even after they had bonded and been in the tank for a month.

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the setup so far and that aquascape is gorgeous!! I used Stax also, there are so many ways to use that rock to get the look you want.

Are there any other fish that are relatively hardy and shy that you were considering or like? Those type would be the best candidates for first introductions, imho. I agree on the clown becoming a menace. I made that mistake and just last week, had one of my clowns kill her mate even after they had bonded and been in the tank for a month.

I would like to have Fathead Anthias. Possibly a trio. They are shy but not sure about the hardy part.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have Fathead Anthias. Possibly a trio. They are shy but not sure about the hardy part.

Sunburst can do well in groups if they are introduced at the same time. They are defining shy and like caves and overhangs but they are definitely not hardy per se from my experience. They can also be tricky to feed at first until they get used to the environment and food. I personally would not start with them because of that. But others with more experience with them can certainly guide you better on that. Are you interested in any type of goby? Those are relatively hardy and can do well in a new setup. If you do want a pair of bonded clowns, that might be a good place to start. In a tank your size, of the clowns are added when smaller, and the other fish added after are bigger, you may not necessarily have those aggression issues.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh the what fish to add 1st...I SOOO hear ya not only is it a challenge to get your list together but now you have to think about what does in what order. lol

IMHO you are on the right track you deff. want the more peaceful shy fish 1st . gogies, dartfish wrasse come to mind ( just not the 6line )

my 750 is going to be wrasse domtant

if you going for rare fish how about the Helfrichi Firefish, Nemateleotris helfrichi OK not that rare I guess but beautiful.

I would not be afraid of something that will eat algae as it will come and they will keep it at bay. just dont get to many.

curious to see how you stock this..

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh the what fish to add 1st...I SOOO hear ya not only is it a challenge to get your list together but now you have to think about what does in what order. lol

IMHO you are on the right track you deff. want the more peaceful shy fish 1st . gogies, dartfish wrasse come to mind ( just not the 6line )

my 750 is going to be wrasse domtant

if you going for rare fish how about the Helfrichi Firefish, Nemateleotris helfrichi OK not that rare I guess but beautiful.

I would not be afraid of something that will eat algae as it will come and they will keep it at bay. just dont get to many.

curious to see how you stock this..

So another issue is that my lid from Artfully Acrylic won’t be in for a few months. Maybe I need to find a temporary cover in the meantime. Cause I’m pretty sure that Firefish would go wood floor surfing.

I appreciate the suggestion and I do think that is a beautiful fish. I will definitely consider. And Live Aquariua doesn’t have them in stock either.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another issue is that my lid from Artfully Acrylic won’t be in for a few months. Maybe I need to find a temporary cover in the meantime. Cause I’m pretty sure that Firefish would go wood floor surfing.

I appreciate the suggestion and I do think that is a beautiful fish. I will definitely consider. And Live Aquariua doesn’t have them in stock either.
its not a matter of IF, but when for a firefish! i had the bigger of the 2 BRS netting, and still lost a few.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people make a stock list to start with and go from least aggressive to most aggressive, smallest to biggest, etc. Clowns can be territorial, but much depends on what kind you get and their personalities. Also...if you get a pair and they grow up and become sexually active, they can become very aggressive to protect their spawn. I hate dottybacks/pseudochromises -- they can be horrible bullies. There is my two cents. I agonized between the RSR 750 XXL and my current tank. What made me decide was that I walked into my LFS and they had a huge sale on the tank I have now. So that made the decision for me. Have fun! I'm anxious to see what you decide to stock your tank with.

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on that! I’ll definitely get on that today. I read a lot about this tank before buying and never saw anyone mention this brace at all.

Red Sea already contacted me to get my shipping address and they are sending me the center brace. Very responsive customer service.

OP
OP
R

rkh_86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a few water test when I got home tonight. I added Ammonia to the system 72 Hours ago and Fritz Zyme 48 hours ago. Looks like I am starting to get some Nitrate in the system which is good but I’ll just keep checking til we are 0/0/really high. Haha. Then I’ll do a big water change and should be ready for some livestock.
2BBCB256-D6EA-45C7-B13D-63EB88333050.jpeg

Back