red sea reefers are not worth the cost

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this - from Fujicube - its $300 different. Is it so much less expensive?

I didn't say it was SO MUCH less expensive, I said it's cheaper usually. The full tank package for that particular Fiji tanks is $1999, but if you look at say the 81G EXT Full tank package it's ~$2300, tank, sump, stand, included the closest Red Sea Offering is 88Gallons for ~$2800... they go back and forth, overall, I think the Fiji's are better buys... but that's a personal preference...

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find any cheaper alternatives to Red Sea. Most alternatives discussed here are more expensive.
Did you look at the SCA PNP systems? These are total systems (Tank, Sump, Stand, Pump, Skimmer):
1642550489549.png

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a fantastic deal for the RSM 130d with stand -- especially if the equipment is working. If the lighting is broken, you can go with a drop-in LED replacement from Steve's, or simply go with a DIY option with custom lighting. Note that replacement parts are now almost impossible to find, so you may have to improvise.
I was told everything works and doesn’t leak. I got it from from someone that got it from someone else. So he didn’t pay a lot and gave me a heck of a deal. Looks like lighting is T5’s which I’m good with. All my other tanks have LED’s. I’ve been researching T5s as of late. How did you know it was a 130d?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this - from Fujicube - its $300 different. Is it so much less expensive?

Fiji is not true plug and play right? They give you the sump but you have to plumb it yourself. That's a huge barrier to entry for newcomers.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you priced out Glass Cages?
I have, unfortunately it's more expensive for a Glasscages tank than it would have been for the Fiji, but, since I decided to hold off on a big tank for now, because I will be moving in 2 years, I went with a ReefOctopus Octo LUX T90... which I'm pretty stoked about...

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, unfortunately it's more expensive for a Glasscages tank than it would have been for the Fiji, but, since I decided to hold off on a big tank for now, because I will be moving in 2 years, I went with a ReefOctopus Octo LUX T90... which I'm pretty stoked about...
How much more would you say? I understand it’s a custom made tank..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fiji is not true plug and play right? They give you the sump but you have to plumb it yourself. That's a huge barrier to entry for newcomers.
Actually thats probably a different discussion :). I think Redsea is similar. For example - I used - flexible tubing to 'plumb' - my return pump to my redsea - it was extremely simple - I have to say - I didn't look into all of the plumbing - it looked similar to Redsea

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much more would you say? I understand it’s a custom made tank..
The price of the tank alone was $200 less than the full package of a comparable tank from Fiji, if I add on a stand, sump, and ATO Reservoir, it's easily ~$600-$1000 more depending on stand choices...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told everything works and doesn’t leak. I got it from from someone that got it from someone else. So he didn’t pay a lot and gave me a heck of a deal. Looks like lighting is T5’s which I’m good with. All my other tanks have LED’s. I’ve been researching T5s as of late. How did you know it was a 130d?
I picked up a RSM250, and it has the same curved sides as yours. They got rid of the curves with the next generation, and that's understandable, as it's extremely difficult to get coralline off of them.

These tanks used Sicce pumps for the returns. The RSM250 has two; I believe yours has one. And I can't remember if the 130d has water-cooling fans, but forget trying to find them if so: it's simply impossible -- just use your chiller instead.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a 625 and an IM SR80 neither of them were "cheap". Nothing is cheap in this hobby. I'm putting together an IM25 lagoon as a frag system. Got the tank on clearance for $300. Couldn't find a suitable stand or even a decent cabinet that I would feel safe with. The stand alone is $424 plus $150 freight. So I went outside the box and picked up a heavy duty Husky garage cabinet that will hold 1,000lbs. for $300. It's going in my game/whiskey room so it fits the theme but it was the cheapest I could find that I trust. Can always use it in my shop if all else fails. Skimmer,Ato,heating element,gyre another light. Around $500 and that's going bare bones buying a 2nd hand light from ATaquarium and a Custom 3D printed frag display $60. That alone is close to $1,200 taking the "cheap" route. Gallon for Gallon reefers are a bargain.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a RSM250, and it has the same curved sides as yours. They got rid of the curves with the next generation, and that's understandable, as it's extremely difficult to get coralline off of them.

These tanks used Sicce pumps for the returns. The RSM250 has two; I believe yours has one. And I can't remember if the 130d has water-cooling fans, but forget trying to find them if so: it's simply impossible -- just use your chiller instead.
I’ve never used a Red Sea. Do you have to run a chiller to keep water temps down?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TnFishwater98 I should probably mention that I was searching very specifically for a tank that was 36"x24"x24" (~90 Gallon), with an External overflow, and the closest Fiji had to that was 35.43" x 23.62" x 22.44" (81 Gallon). So other searches the mileage may vary...

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised when I showed up to pick it up and the chiller was sitting next to it.
You definitely will where you live. :)

I live in the middle of the boreal forest and my tank consistently runs at about 26/27C (80F) during the winter, with an ambient room temperature of about 21C. These tanks have a latent overheating problem.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200XL and i absolutley love the tank as it is. the ATO is adjusted and lasts 3 days. i understand the lack of space under the tank but to be fair its a small space due to tank size. I custom built a box and ran all wiring into it. I love the look of the tanks and i felt the quality was fine. Easy to assemble. My drain is dialed in and silent. Is it cost effective? not when compared to used set ups but im ok with what i spent

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People pay for them, that's how they justify them.
Yes, people are willing to pay it. To me, the benefit is aesthetics and some of the labor. But $7000? And as the OP mentions, much isn't included.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, people are willing to pay it. To me, the benefit is aesthetics and some of the labor. But $7000? And as the OP mentions, much isn't included.
I mean, have you seen a CADE? Glass is apparently expensive, low iron glass even more so, it blows my mind what tanks cost, but then again, it blows my mind what a lot of things cost...

Edit: For the price of a CADE I'd expect it to be made of Crystal, or studded with Swarovsky crystals

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back