Red Sea reefers water level and sump sounds?

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have had a reefer 250 for about a month now, and I am very happy with it, but there is two issues that bother me.
1. The water level in the overflow change every day, I adjust it because it overflows the emergency drain, but the next day by the same time, the water level is back to above the emergency drain? Anyone else having issues with reefers and constantly tweaking the valve, changing water level in the overflow?
2. Splashing sound in the sump, I stuffed my filter socks with floss to stop the dripping sound from there, but I still have dripping sounds when the water pass from the refugium chamber to the skimmer chamber, and from the skimmer to the returnpump chamber. Anyone else annoyed by dripping pouring sounds from the sump?
Appreciate any ideas or tips!

Xyloxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I have a 425XL and experienced a similar problem to you. Trick is, you have to make super small adjustments to the overflow level. Turning it just a bit to much can cause it to overflow into the e-drain in my experience. Once you tweak it just right, you'll no longer have to make adjustments.

2. I'll admit, the sump is noisy. BRS sells noise reducers for the filter socks. This helps some. Most of my splash comes from the bubble trap because I don't run mechanical filters besides a skimmer.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I have a 425XL and experienced a similar problem to you. Trick is, you have to make super small adjustments to the overflow level. Turning it just a bit to much can cause it to overflow into the e-drain in my experience. Once you tweak it just right, you'll no longer have to make adjustments.

2. I'll admit, the sump is noisy. BRS sells noise reducers for the filter socks. This helps some. Most of my splash comes from the bubble trap because I don't run mechanical filters besides a skimmer.

It feels like I am making small adjustments, and the water level gets perfect below the emergency drain. But then 12 or sometimes 24 hours later the water level has risen again, or sometimes it gets so low the drain makes a loud gurgling sound until I make a small adjustment to get the water level back to where I want it again.
I keep the ato filled and I never let the socks get clogged to affect the drain.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you make adjustments to the overflow, it can take upwards of 30 minutes for the levels to equalize. So if you are messing with it every 10 minutes you're not going to be able to get it where you want it. Same concept as a protein skimmer. I have had two RS, a 250 and now a 525xl and I made the same mistake with my 250. If you're getting splashing in the sump its the same thing, you need to SLOWLY equalize your overflow. I never had splashing in my sump in either my 250 or 525xl once I got it tuned perfectly. Also remember if you're messing with your skimmer, adding pumps, displacing water in the sump, etc it will effect your water level and you will have to adjust it every time.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water coming out of the DT is less than what is going in.
Increase outflow.
It takes a bit of monkeying around with.

Also, if you have socks or sponge in your sump it may be restricting flow.

marcolipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes really small adjustments , and wait a few minutes , keep an eye above on the overflow box so you notice the level .

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, did you fix this issue? I have the same aquarium and mine is super quiet.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back