Red Sea ReefLED 50

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on lighting schedule for my 95 wave aquarium? I am keeping a mixed reef with mostly LPS and softies. I have two Red Sea LED50s on it running for 10 hours a day at 100% blue and 30% whites. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are just about in the right place. 10 hours a day may be a bit longer than it needs to be, but it's not at all harmful. Zooxanthellae typically do photosynthesis for 6 to 8 hours during peak lighting.

OP
OP
PTXReef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are just about in the right place. 10 hours a day may be a bit longer than it needs to be, but it's not at all harmful. Zooxanthellae typically do photosynthesis for 6 to 8 hours during peak lighting.

I do notice that new corals do expel some zooxanthellae for the first day or so when I acclimated them into my system. I start everything off on the bottom of the tank. Should I reduce the lighting schedule to possibly 8 or 9 hours? I should add there is an hour ramp up and ramp down time (total is still 10 hours of light). Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do notice that new corals do expel some zooxanthellae for the first day or so when I acclimated them into my system. I start everything off on the bottom of the tank. Should I reduce the lighting schedule to possibly 8 or 9 hours? I should add there is an hour ramp up and ramp down time (total is still 10 hours of light). Thanks!

Really? I've never noticed coral polyps expelling zooxanthellae. I know they can and do, I've just never seen it.

The ramp up and ramp down time is probably not part of the time that photosynthesis happens. The zooxanthellae needs high PAR levels to drive the process. I doubt less total hours is the issue. Maybe you could try dialing back the peak power levels a bit and see what happens.

Do you know what the PAR levels are in your tank? It's not critical to know, but if you can access a PAR meter, it can be helpful information.

BTW, I run a 4 hour ramp up (sunrise), 8 hours of peak (or very near peak) light and then 5 hours of ramp down (sunset). The sunrise and sunset has almost nothing to do with how well corals or anything else in the tank does. It's 99% for our human viewing enjoyment. I love corals that fluoresce and therefore I run long blue sunrise and sunset sessions.

Hope this helps?

OP
OP
PTXReef

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I've never noticed coral polyps expelling zooxanthellae. I know they can and do, I've just never seen it.

The ramp up and ramp down time is probably not part of the time that photosynthesis happens. The zooxanthellae needs high PAR levels to drive the process. I doubt less total hours is the issue. Maybe you could try dialing back the peak power levels a bit and see what happens.

Do you know what the PAR levels are in your tank? It's not critical to know, but if you can access a PAR meter, it can be helpful information.

BTW, I run a 4 hour ramp up (sunrise), 8 hours of peak (or very near peak) light and then 5 hours of ramp down (sunset). The sunrise and sunset has almost nothing to do with how well corals or anything else in the tank does. It's 99% for our human viewing enjoyment. I love corals that fluoresce and therefore I run long blue sunrise and sunset sessions.

Hope this helps?

I assume the PAR levels listed on the Red Sea website (ex: 10” from the surface with the LED 50 would be ~280 PAR). The reason why I do 100% is because I feel like either the light isn’t powerful enough to make my corals as fluorescent as I want them to be or if my water is too dirty. I haven’t been running carbon for a while now and the water change buckets are slightly yellow, which may affect the PAR.

Plzpizza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird im using the 50w too and i only go to 45% blue 15% white. All my corals are happy and fully extended coloring also good

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back