Red Sea ReefMat Reefer Retrofit (pre-G2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you with pre-G2 Red Sea Reefers, here are the parts you need to retrofit any 40mm overflow in the US and Canada. I sourced mine at Home Depot for a grand total of $6.80 CAD. Being ABS parts, you can just use standard ABS cement with the existing Red Sea plumbing and ReefMat adapter. And they're in black so not only do they match nicely - but if you end up with a 'less than perfect' overflow pipe (after reduction) it will completely hide this.

• 1-1/2" ABS Cleanout Adapter SPIG x F
• 1-1/2" ABS Male Adapter SPG x Hub

The adapter on the left connects (with ABS cement) to the supplied Red Sea flex tube connector and the adapter on the right connects (again, with ABS cememt) to the main overflow pipe after you've reduced it in height. You can either screw these together and leave for cleaning and maintenance or use plumber's tape on the threads. You can also unscrew either the Red Sea flex tubing for the ReefMat or the entire Red Sea adapter+flex tubing as needed.

abs-parts.jpg

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that on pre-G2 Red Sea Reefer tanks with a smaller overflow diameter (<40mm) you can just cut the overflow pipe down in size, slip the flex tube over the overflow pipe and either seal it with the included sealant or keep it in place with some plastic zip ties.

Alternately you can source similar ABS adapters to fit on the smaller diameter overflow piping. Red Sea includes a narrow and wide adapter, so just take this to your local hardware store once you know your overflow diameter and just play around with which parts you'll need.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that on pre-G2 Red Sea Reefer tanks with a smaller overflow diameter (<40mm) you can just cut the overflow pipe down in size, slip the flex tube over the overflow pipe and either seal it with the included sealant or keep it in place with some plastic zip ties.
I owned, but sold, a ReefMat 500. It did come with a connector for the hose that allows it to be screwed directly onto the G2 overflow - an easy solution. The instructions also show how to fit the hose over the 32mm pipework e.g., for non G2 Systems - almost as easy and there are a couple of adapters included for different diameter pipes.

I currently have a ReefMat 1200. It comes with the same connectors as the ReefMat 500 but also has the threaded connector that is already fitted to a G2 Tank. So, using the suppled connectors and adapters it can be connected to different pipe diameters.

But, having a screw connection at each end of the hose, doesn't provide any advantage over only having it at the ReefMat end for maintenance. You might want to remove the top ReefMat Assembly whilst leaving the hose attached to the lower ReefMat assembly. The internals of the lower ReefMat assembly are accessible with the top ReefMat Assembly removed.

If you really to want to disconnect the ReefMat from the hose, this can be done at the ReefMat end - so having a screw connector at the other end of the hose isn't an advantage. One reason to disconnect the hose, is to allow the ReefMat to be slid across to the other side of the Sump - this makes access to the Return Chamber easier.

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned, but sold, a ReefMat 500. It did come with a connector for the hose that allows it to be screwed directly onto the G2 overflow - an easy solution. The instructions also show how to fit the hose over the 32mm pipework e.g., for non G2 Systems - almost as easy and there are a couple of adapters included for different diameter pipes.

I currently have a ReefMat 1200. It comes with the same connectors as the ReefMat 500 but also has the threaded connector that is already fitted to a G2 Tank. So, using the suppled connectors and adapters it can be connected to different pipe diameters.

But, having a screw connection at each end of the hose, doesn't provide any advantage over only having it at the ReefMat end for maintenance. You might want to remove the top ReefMat Assembly whilst leaving the hose attached to the lower ReefMat assembly. The internals of the lower ReefMat assembly are accessible with the top ReefMat Assembly removed.

If you really to want to disconnect the ReefMat from the hose, this can be done at the ReefMat end - so having a screw connector at the other end of the hose isn't an advantage. One reason to disconnect the hose, is to allow the ReefMat to be slid across to the other side of the Sump - this makes access to the Return Chamber easier.
The reason I want to be able to remove the ReefMat flexible hose is for periodic cleaning.

Bwow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you with pre-G2 Red Sea Reefers, here are the parts you need to retrofit any 40mm overflow in the US and Canada. I sourced mine at Home Depot for a grand total of $6.80 CAD. Being ABS parts, you can just use standard ABS cement with the existing Red Sea plumbing and ReefMat adapter. And they're in black so not only do they match nicely - but if you end up with a 'less than perfect' overflow pipe (after reduction) it will completely hide this.

• 1-1/2" ABS Cleanout Adapter SPIG x F
• 1-1/2" ABS Male Adapter SPG x Hub

The adapter on the left connects (with ABS cement) to the supplied Red Sea flex tube connector and the adapter on the right connects (again, with ABS cememt) to the main overflow pipe after you've reduced it in height. You can either screw these together and leave for cleaning and maintenance or use plumber's tape on the threads. You can also unscrew either the Red Sea flex tubing for the ReefMat or the entire Red Sea adapter+flex tubing as needed.

abs-parts.jpg
I could hug you right now ... just got my 3xl 900 g2 delivered and a reefmat 1200.. hopefully I won't need this but if i do, already saved as favorite :D

OP
OP
blaxsun

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could hug you right now ... just got my 3xl 900 g2 delivered and a reefmat 1200.. hopefully I won't need this but if i do, already saved as favorite :D
Pretty sure the G2 series has an integrated adapter for the new ReefMat. Very nice tank, btw!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back