Red Sea Regal in Quarantine - Ich and de-wormer treatment

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently purchased a red sea (orange belly) regal angel about a week ago. Looks like I finally got it to eat oysters as well as picking on masstick's. I know these guys can be very sensitive to medication or copper specifically. Wanted to see if anyone had success with treating regals w/ copper or Prazi? perhaps I should take a more safer path and use API General Cure (for a de-wormer) and Ich-X. Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prophylactic use of copper I find unnecessary and risky, I am no fan. As far as a dewormer, general cure is the way to go as it contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole. So no safer than prazi pro as it contains 1/2 of the same ingredients, but general cure covers a broader spectrum of internal parasites with the addition of metro. Not sure if there's a point to ich-x. Treatment for internal parasites is highly recommended for regal angels. Even after initial treatment keep a close eye as they seem to carry very stubborn parasites.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise. I have used general cure before and to be honest I feel it is safer than Prazi. I don't know why, or if it is a coincidence but I seem to lose fish during the medicating process with Prazi - fish are fine and eating, then I start Prazi and they die. But then I have folks on R2R comment that General Cure is useless :). With this fish I am not taking chances and will use general cure.

Sorry. Don't understand your comment on Ich-X. Are you saying there is no point in using? I do want to treat fish for Ich and external parasites just in case. I have learned my hard lesson in the past with putting fish in my display and had velvet, took out many of my price fish.

In regards to regals; this is my 3rd one, but the other 2 I lost was before I quarantined and they never started eating, died almost 3 days and feel it was from stress. This was over a year ago, and have been doing some more research on these fish before I tried another one. The good news that it is picking on food, but super shy - I go in the basement to check on him and hides immediately. I know that it will be a challenge once it is done in my QT and ready to be placed in my DT as I do have many angels in that tank. May use an acclimation box initially or build a larger box out of egg crate instead of putting him in with the other fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to figure out the difference in the amount of Praziquantel in comparison in gc to prazi. I do know that you have to be aware of displacement when dosing prazi, or you will overdose. I have had to follow with prazi for flukes after gc treatment for some reason, whether the amount of Praziquantel in gc was too low or the hatching of eggs after gc ran it course.

I just gave my personal opinion on ich-x, thats something you will sort out with your own research.

Fish like regal angels also will do better once with other fish. Sometimes peoplebwill qt with dither fish as it provides a safer appearing environment for them. If he is starting to pick at food, that's a good indication. He may be shy in front of you, just make sure he has food to pick on. Not sure how your qt tank is filtered, many times when dealing with a difficult fish to feed, it's easy to foul the water, just something to be aware of.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very good info. Thanks! mainly the comment about other fish ... it is interesting that you mention that as I just got a blue devil grouper and it is in with the regal. It is a peaceful grouper, so a good fish in there with the regal. I will definitly need to have him switch to frozen before moving in to my DT as I cannot keep putting in oysters as the others will eat it before the regal would get a chance :)

I wonder now if I should just go with Prazi initially vs. GC. The less medication the better ... although it maybe harsher, I will make sure I don't overdose.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose prazi, then mix metro/focus in food to cover a broader range of internal parasites. Prazi is not effective on some, so if you use prazi, it's a good idea to follow up with metro. I didn't find metro as effective in the water column. Since I deal mostly with predator fish like lions eating live food, I started dosing gc in the water column, and found it worked well, My last experience with gc was with a miniatus grouper that I had to follow up with prazi for flukes.

I use my qt more as an observation tank than a true qt. I kept my miniatus there for 2 months, not only did I have to treat for internal parasites and flukes, he was a very shy eater. After 2 months I knew he was healthy so I put him in the display. He has come along alot since being in the display. Groupers may be another one of those fish that do better with company.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, so just wanted to give an update here as well as a questions/concern I have with the regal. I am excited to say that the regal started to eat frozen now - not aggressively, but picking at frozen food finally :) I did treat with API general cure. I guess it is though to say if it really did anything, but I medicated as I do all my fish. The one thing I noticed is the fish once in a while does a quick twitch with it's head ... I think I recall reading a long time ago about that and perhaps it's due to parasites? not sure if I should be concerned, but weird behavior IMO. I am reluctant to use Prazi as it seems I lose more fish with that stuff then other meds! I don't want to blame the med, maybe just a coincidence.

Perhaps one option now is to use Dr.G's de-wormer ?? although like I said, not eating agressivly, so it may not take to that. Metro maybe the better option.

Would like to hear some input / thoughts! thanks.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ben. Honestly if it was any other fish I would attempt the FW dip as I have done that to many tangs and triggers, but I am happy this guys is eating and would worry that FW dip would stress it out too much. Do you have any other suggestions? or maybe you have used this method on regals before. Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Funlad3 eluded to, that head twitch can sometimes be flukes. Watch for cloudy eyes, hanging at the surface or around power heads, the circulation may be soothing to the gills. Appetite can also wain. I know you are hesitant of prazi pro, but it would be the next consideration. The thing about prazi is, you must be aware of displacement, and dose to the water volume, not the size of the tank.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info ... I do notice the fish go up to the surface of the water once in a while, so it is possible that it's flukes based on what you're saying. Is Prazi the only med that you recommend, or do you think a second round of general cure is worth another shot. I guess I can try maybe 3/4 of the prazi dose recommendation - maybe still stronger then GC. The fish is eating otherwise and seems ok ... do flukes go away eventually, will they kill fish like ich and valvet? copper is another option, but this guy I watched on you tube stated that regals are quite sensative to copper - which I am actually trying to cut this out of my standard QT for just this fish.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info ... I do notice the fish go up to the surface of the water once in a while, so it is possible that it's flukes based on what you're saying. Is Prazi the only med that you recommend, or do you think a second round of general cure is worth another shot. I guess I can try maybe 3/4 of the prazi dose recommendation - maybe still stronger then GC. The fish is eating otherwise and seems ok ... do flukes go away eventually, will they kill fish like ich and valvet? copper is another option, but this guy I watched on you tube stated that regals are quite sensative to copper - which I am actually trying to cut this out of my standard QT for just this fish.

They will not go away on their own, eventually will invade the gills and kill the fish. They will also spread in the tank and infect other fish. Copper is not a solution for flukes, and copper in very deadly, while pp really just isn't. I use pp on fish that literally die with the use of almost any other medication. I'm sure your negative experience with pp has to do with an overdose. While pp does have a broad tolerance, if you dose to tank size instead of water volume, you will od. If you follow the directions, you'll see the 2nd dose is to address any eggs that may have hatched after the effectiveness of the 1st dose. I don't think gc will get it if flukes is your problem, you'll still have to address the hatching eggs.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks! so, I examined the fish more today during feeding and between feeding as it twiched head it went near the power head - which is exactly what lion king on here wrote. As I noticed this, I decided to start the prazipro treatment. My water volume is 60 gal. - so the full dose to treat would be 15ml. I like to ramp up my meds, not sure if it is the correct way but I feel it's better to do that. I dosed 5 ml today, and will follow up the next two days with remaining doses. Based on the instructions, treatment should be done in about 7 days.

In regards to the 2nd treatment - is that necessary? if so, should I put carbon in, do 20% WC and start second dose? let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

PS. BTW, you maybe right about the overdose part but I am very careful with any meds, and when I use copper I do test very frequently.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, one more thing I forgot to ask as I was down in the basement looking at my QT's. I wonder if perhaps getting a cleaner wrasse in a QT perhaps that would be a good idea. Not sure if they go for flukes though.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not ramp up this med, I believe to be effective it needs the full dose at once, The strength dissipates over a day or two and by ramping up you will never get to full strength. It is not like copper which stays consistent so as you ramp up, the strength get higher to achieve the therapeutic dose, Ramping up pp you will never get to the therapeutic dose, as the 1st dose will be ineffective by the time you get to to the 3rd dose. A cleaner wrasse will not be effective on flukes.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool. glad I read your response late last night and added the additional 10ml. So now I did the full dose and fish seems good so far. So, I assume I should put back carbon and do 20% water change in about 7 days? then regards to the second dose, is this something I should only do if I continue seeing fish continues to behave like it has flukes?

On another note. I am not going to do the copper treatment on the regal, so for Ich, did you ever use Ich-X? I believe it is from the same manufacturer as prazi.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd dose is to address any eggs that hatch, it will not have an effect on unhatched eggs. I usually do the 2nd dose 4 days later, the rule is 3-5 days later. I am not familiar with ich-x.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good with Prazi. I noticed yesterday the regal was twitching head more then usual ... maybe this is normal as the medicine is starting to work. I will definitely do the 2nd dose as well ... also glad fish is continuing to eat as the Prazi had no negative effect on apatite.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have had a few questions on Ich-x, I decided to do a bit of research. Ich-X contains formaldehyde, methanol, and malachite green chloride; so this is something I personally would not use. All of those ingredients are extremely nasty, many fish treated with formaldehyde rarely live that long. Don't be fooled by surviving treatment, fish will just drop dead shortly afterwards, sometimes even several months to a year, and many fail to make the connection.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for doing this research! I am definitly not treating fish with this stuff then moving forward ... you know, because copper is not good for puffers I actually purchased ich-X to treat puffer before going in my DT. I am ticked off now because this may have been why the puffer parished. I went on the puffer forum and several recommended ich-X vs. copper for puffers. Anyway, it is getting in the garbage!

As for preventative measure against ich for the regal; I definitly will not do the copper as I read regals can be sensitive to copper. Do you have any suggestions? I know API makes a product but seems that anything API makes doesn't get the best reviews or just not strong enough (i.e. general cure vs. prazi). Let me know if you have any positive experience with specific products for ich. This is in my QT so not worried about reef safe stuff - anything that is reef safe is a joke IMO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back