Red sea rsk 300 overflowing.. out of ideas.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to access the red part that's at the end of the airline tubing (circled in green)? This is where the air enters the skimmer. I have a different brand, but on mine, that red part has 2 holes in it and if I need to reduce the amount of air (which reduces the amount of bubbles), I block one of the holes.
I do agree that your current issue is most likely due to the skimmer needing to be broken in, but wanted to explain what others meant by "turning down the air".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220512-010202.png
    Screenshot_20220512-010202.png
    855.3 KB · Views: 30

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am presently running at the minimum recommended water height per the manual... I agree this may help but I kinda feel like this is a bandage to whatever else the actual issue is.
The issue is that it's been cleaned so needs to run in again. Could take a week or more.

Nothing happens fast :)

Just raise it as high as necessary.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the sake of throwing something else out there, I find my skimmer very sensitive to random pollutants in the tank. Sometimes running carbon for a day or two will take out the offending compound and the skimmer settles down. Sometimes the littlest things can send the skimmer into overdrive until they get out of the tank. If you're not running carbon, or if you haven't changed it in awhile, maybe try that for a couple days to see if there is anything in the water making the skimmer go nuts.

itsdarrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to run my rsk300 for aweek straight for it to break in, it was overflowing just like in your video now its working great, may need more time.

OP
OP
mudbugmike

mudbugmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just as an update in case any other red sea skimmer / rsk 300 owners find this - the skimmer is working great after building up a sludge. I ran it with the drain valve open allowing it to overflow back into the sump until the foam could no longer overflow. I had to tinker with the valve from time to time because it would either create too dry a foam not allowing it to drain or too wet/too fast a foam not draining as fast as it was filling.

Functions great and I'm working to implement a recirculating co2 scrubber now.

NemanVtc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update in case any other red sea skimmer / rsk 300 owners find this - the skimmer is working great after building up a sludge. I ran it with the drain valve open allowing it to overflow back into the sump until the foam could no longer overflow. I had to tinker with the valve from time to time because it would either create too dry a foam not allowing it to drain or too wet/too fast a foam not draining as fast as it was filling.

Functions great and I'm working to implement a recirculating co2 scrubber now.
Just going through the same thing
Thank you for the update!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back