Red Sea / Max S-Series / Discussion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow S-Series owners:

@SPR1968 @2una and myself:
Used to have a nice thread on another site:

It would be nice to be able to share with each other and to help out new S-Series prospects when deciding if an S-Series is the way to go for them too.

It's up to ya'll but I'd be in to help keep this S-Series thread alive.

If you have an S-Series, Please post and say hello... :)

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow S-Series owners:

@SPR1968 @2una and myself:
Used to have a nice thread on another site:

It would be nice to be able to share with each other and to help out new S-Series prospects when deciding if an S-Series is the way to go for them too.

It's up to ya'll but I'd be in to help keep this S-Series thread alive.

Regards, GoVols

Very good idea @GoVols, so if anyone wants to know anything or needs help about the Max S Series aquariums just ask.

They really are stunning systems.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 light question, currently I am using 2 purple, 4 blue, 2 whites on 8 hrs a day in mixed reef. What lights do you guys use and how long do you leave it on? thanks
Before I modded the original 10 bulb T5 canopy to a Led/T5 Hybird:

I was pushing 8 of the Red Sea 22k "Reef Spec" bulbs with 2 KZ Genii bulbs.

My 2 bulb mid-section would push for 10 hours / full daylight hours (with all bulbs on) was 8 hours.

I was in the habit of changing them out every six months, but that's probably overkill.

Right now, I'm pushing two ATI B+'s with the Led's.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An S-series thread with no pics????:eek::eek::eek: I Love the look of these systems. Does everyone stick with the stock CL pumps or have any of you tried switching them out for DC pumps to get more random/adjustable flow patterns??
I haven’t swapped the rear circulation pumps (I assume that’s what you mean) as yet because they work fine and they haven’t broken yet.

When one breaks I’ll probably look at Eheim pumps as the ones I have tried are virtually silent, but I’m open to other options.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An S-series thread with no pics????:eek::eek::eek: I Love the look of these systems. Does everyone stick with the stock CL pumps or have any of you tried switching them out for DC pumps to get more random/adjustable flow patterns??

I havent replaced my circ pumps either BUT to help add to the random flow, I installed these random flow generators by Vivid Creative Aquatics (also a sponsor here). Its a great simple solution to help random flow. I have an S650 and put 4 on the back circulation pumps (1/2 nozzle) and got a split from them for a the return pump (also 1/2" I believe).

It's great, love them...no moving parts to get stuck either. Simple plug and play, you just pop them in over the existing nozzle.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/random-flow-generator-3-4in-rfg075-q-a.355969/

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent replaced my circ pumps either BUT to help add to the random flow, I installed these random flow generators by Vivid Creative Aquatics (also a sponsor here). Its a great simple solution to help random flow. I have an S650 and put 4 on the back circulation pumps (1/2 nozzle) and got a split from them for a the return pump (also 1/2" I believe).

It's great, love them...no moving parts to get stuck either. Simple plug and play, you just pop them in over the existing nozzle.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/random-flow-generator-3-4in-rfg075-q-a.355969/
Those :rolleyes: are awesome!!!

;Writing that down as my next upgrade... :)

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll start with the pics.

2017 - S650

About 7 months old. Running fallow right now due to ick outbreak a few months ago. (Had to remove all rock and corals to get all the fish out ROYAL PITA, always quarantining from now on..lesson learned big time!) Fish go back in this month on the 28th woohoo!

Things I've changed on it so far... not much except:

I will be changing out the lights to the aquatic life 61" hybrid to get some T5s on there (which in a way bumms me out because I really like the look of the S series light housing unit. )
So x4 Hydra HD 26s and x4 80w T5s: (x2 blue +, x1 Actinic, and x1 coral +)

I'm using a separate ato container to go to my kalk reactor before auto top off.

Fans on top and over sump for cooling ('m done with indoor chillers, they give off way too much heat!)

Apex instead of the switch controller.

Added in random flow generator nozzles, and beside that everything else is stock including all pumps and skimmer.

Tank is still a work in progress and not yet where I want it livestock wise but its getting there....

20180321_121419.jpg

20180321_121425.jpg

20180321_121431.jpg

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charles4400

Your S-650 looks sweet and thanks for sharing.

Went by my local reef shop yesterday:
They have the first S-650 that was installed east of the Mississippi back in spring of 2012.

They're still running the C-Skim
IMG_20180323_163310.jpg

:)

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charles4400

They have the first S-650 that was installed east of the Mississippi back in spring of 2012.

IMG_20180323_163310.jpg

I forgot what a beast it is lol!!!!

When I took it out it was like, ‘we’re did all this space come from’!!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright,
For those that are still tagging to the S-Series thread:

If you have a fish that needs to go :mad:

I have taken out all the recirc. pumps the in overflow box and let them hang on the back wall. At that point you have a mini tank.
Then unscrew one of the recirc. pumps strainers and lay it to the side. Turn off or move display lights so that the overflow is is the only thing that is lit up. Chum up the overflow box with some good food and make sure the smell drifts out the strainers open hole. When the fish goes into the overflow, then screw back on the strainer from the front side of the back wall and then you can net the fish.

At times this has worked for myself and could be worth a shot.

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charles4400

IMG_20180323_163310.jpg

I think the C-Skim is fine in a shop, but not so good when it's running in your living room !

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the C-Skim is fine in a shop, but not so good when it's running in your living room !

Hahaha... I am also running the C-Skim still and it is in the living room! lol. Definitely is the loudest equipment but once the doors are closed the humming is acceptable, at least in my case.

You can see my “monster” here:
2cad4bbcb9919bd526d9661373aeeddd.heic

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back