Red Sea - Salifert - Hanna: Which one for phosphate?

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I felt like upgrading from API test kits to one of the brands you see in the title. I specifically just want to change my phosphate test from the API reef master test kit. So my question is which test kit for Phosphate... and just a test kit in general. Should I fully move to salifert because I already test cal, mag, and alk with salifert and I could just get the nitrate, phosphate, and ph salifert test kit? Thank you for any advice.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos (sorry to throw a wrench out). Nyos has the best (IMHO) nitrate and phosphate non-digital test kits out there. They’re easy to read, next to impossible to screw-up and the results are always very close to what i get with my Hannas.

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nyos (sorry to throw a wrench out). Nyos has the best (IMHO) nitrate and phosphate non-digital test kits out there. They’re easy to read, next to impossible to screw-up and the results are always very close to what i get with my Hannas.
Nyos? Interesting, never heard of it. Is that the name of it or an abbreviation?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but the Nyos (or Salifert, Aquaforest, Red Sea, etc.) are all significantly less in price.
In the long run for phosphate the others are cheaper when you initially buy them but when you later decide you should've got the Hanna and have to get it also they're not cheaper. Seriously though IMO it's worth it for the Hanna for phosphate.
For nitrate I've used the Hanna HR and it's really nice but the Nyos or Salifert are perfectly good choices as well.

If you're only going to get one Hanna it should be phosphate. After that either Nitrate HR, alkalinity, or copper if you run copper in a qt tank.

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you do the Hanna for nitrate make sure it's the HR. Also there are 4 (I think 4) different phosphate checkers. Make sure to know which one you're getting.
Yes, my lfs told be me about this in a way. They said don’t get the nitrate low range but to get the high range. Thank you for reminding me!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but the Nyos (or Salifert, Aquaforest, Red Sea, etc.) are all significantly less in price.
I actually just looked at the different phosphate tests and the red sea starting kit (not the reagent refill) is the same price as Hanna, although to be fair it's good for 100 test before having to buy refills, instead of the 10 you get with Hanna.
Also comparing Hanna to Nyos after performing 350 tests the price per test averages out to where they cost the same. So if you test once a week it only takes a little under 7 years before they equal out. LOL

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Hanna I heard some people using phosphorus and some phosphate. What’s the phosphorus test?
The biggest difference is the unit of measurement that it gives the reading in. The phosphorus ULR is in part per billion which is not the unit of measurement typically talked about in the hobby. Where as the phosphate ULR reads out in the more standard part per million. If you get the phosphorus ULR you'll need to convert the reading to ppm or get used to reading your values in ppb so you know the values you want to have. Supposedly the phosphorus ULR is slightly more precise at lower levels, but it's not enough of a difference to be worth the hassle IMO. I use the Phosphate ULR (HI774).
Both tests are used to test phosphate level though

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run for phosphate the others are cheaper when you initially buy them but when you later decide you should've got the Hanna and have to get it also they're not cheaper. Seriously though IMO it's worth it for the Hanna for phosphate.
For nitrate I've used the Hanna HR and it's really nice but the Nyos or Salifert are perfectly good choices as well.

If you're only going to get one Hanna it should be phosphate. After that either Nitrate HR, alkalinity, or copper if you run copper in a qt tank.
My order would be copper first if you’re only going to have one. Especially when dosing a toxic chemical all the more important to have a precise reading.

As you said for nitrates, I’m happy with the resolution of salifert where I’m running now but not for ULNS.

As for cost though I can’t stand that every Hanna test costs about $0.50 on top of the $50 purchase price. That’s highway robbery. So for Alk, Ca, and Mg I’m gladly sticking with my Red Sea kit I got on sale.

Phosphate ULR will be my next Hanna though, the others I’ve tried (not Nyos) have been worthless.

My advice to the OP: Google a picture of the reference card before purchasing a test. Now decide where you plan to run your phosphate (or anything else) and decide if the resolution of the card makes any sense to help you meet your goal. If you’re going to run ULNS many tests other than Hanna could be a challenge.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order would be copper first if you’re only going to have one. Especially when dosing a toxic chemical all the more important to have a precise reading.
I won't argue with that. Honestly I was typing the others in before even thinking about copper, so it was kind of an after thought. I bet you'll find most people don't have a qt tank where they use copper though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back