Red Sea Skimmer - How long to tune?

Matt Lusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea RSK300 skimmer which doesn't seem to want to tune. Directions & reef experience say to wait 2 weeks for a new skimmer to break in. I've had mine running for about 4 and it is still totally overflowing. I've been running a drain hose from the collection cup back into the filter socks during break-in process.

Tank is only 3 months old but all parameters are in check - see below. I don't know if I'm missing something or if I have a defective product. Being that it's Red Sea, I doubt its a bad product. Only thing I can think of is that I used a few large tubes of coral putty when creating my aquascape. But after 3 months, and at least 100% water change since then, I can't imagine the putty is still causing extra foam. Any ideas?

Red Sea Reefer 250 (58gal net)
Temp: 78
Sal: 1.025 (Instant Ocean salt)
pH: 8.2
CA: 450
KH: 11.5
MG: 1350
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5
Phosphate: 0.015
Water changes: 10% every week
Bioload: 5 small fish, 12 or so snails/hermits, 3 inverts, small number of LPS/SPS/Softies

OP
OP
M

Matt Lusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that it is sitting in the manufacturer's recommended depth of water and the gate valve is closed all the way. When I open the gate at all it goes even more crazy!

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine sitting a little higher than recommended depth and don’t have any issues. It is skimming a little wet but it took almost 3-4 weeks to break in.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever solve this issue?
Mine is only about 5” in water and it just started skimming yesterday after 2.5 weeks if overflowing. But it still fills up the collection cup faster than normal.

My beef with the skimmer the amount of micro bubbles and creating bubbles under the skimmer then every 3-5 minutes you hear a gurgle from a big bubble rising. As soon as finds allow ill be getting a nyos or tunze.

Back