Red Sea Trace Colors with Kalkwasser dosing | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this one. It matches with the math I did. I use about .5gal/day limewater and figured it to be ~6ml per week of Colors.

rhastareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue that I ran into with this is this method is missing one key foundation element: Strontium. I've found Red Sea's reps on other sites mentioning this specifically and that their system is designed to be used with their Foundation A product. If you guys could please provide a reliable way of determining the amount of strontium we need per calcium uptake that would be great!

Also, my system has been up for 2 years with kalk dosing, kent tech m, and every 7 to 10 day water changes with Fritz RPM (~17%). I've just recently started Red Sea's Color program via testing each element individually and found that my tank's needs have been FAR from uniform across elements.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to start dosing colors, currently using a kalk reactor. Do I stay at the .61ml per gallon of kalk/ATO mix?

Also I have about 3.6 gal of evap a day. Would I start right off the bat dosing 6mls of each, or slowly dose the tank gradually over the span of a few weeks until I reach the 6mls per day amount ? 400gal DT low cal/alk demand mostly softies, zoas, and a few monti’s

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to start dosing colors, currently using a kalk reactor. Do I stay at the .61ml per gallon of kalk/ATO mix?
Also I have about 3.6 gal of evap a day. Would I start right off the bat dosing 6mls of each, or slowly dose the tank gradually over the span of a few weeks until I reach the 6mls per day amount ? 400gal DT low cal/alk demand mostly softies, zoas, and a few monti’s

The math we did for this was for Kalkwasser at full saturation, which is basically the same saturation you'd get with a Kalk reactor/stirrer. That said, you could start with a lower dosage amount and build your way up if that worked better for you. :)

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this for a while and I think that the assumption that the dosing of those trace elements can be calculated only based on the calcium consumption can't be trusted.

What about tanks with softies and just a few lps? They are for sure consuming a higher ratio of trace elements than calcium.

What about the impact of feeding on the trace elements? If you dose trace elements based only on that formula, you may end up with dangerously high levels of some of them.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this for a while and I think that the assumption that the dosing of those trace elements can be calculated only based on the calcium consumption can't be trusted.
What about tanks with softies and just a few lps? They are for sure consuming a higher ratio of trace elements than calcium.
What about the impact of feeding on the trace elements? If you dose trace elements based only on that formula, you may end up with dangerously high levels of some of them.

In instances when you don't want to or can't follow Calcium consumption directly, it's probably best to use the alternate dosing approach that Red Sea recommends which is testing for the lead elements and dosing appropriately. :)

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose anything besides kalk and vinegar and I never needed to dose magnesium because it stays stable between 1325-1375 somehow.

I just did an ICP test for the first time to see if I really need to dose trace elements and if it's safe to follow the calculations you presented on the video. I am curious to see how it will turn out.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this with my kalkwasser top off for a couple of months now and it works very well.

Randy, since TLF AcroPower doesn't have to be refrigerated, could it be added to the kalkwasser along with the Colors? Wondering if the high PH would keep anything from growing etc.

Thanks,
Todd

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back