Red Sea Trace Colour ABCD

KieAnderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

My wife bought me the Trace-Colour set from Red Sea I was wondering on how to dose these?

I have a red sea multi test kit but it doesn't test for any of these supplements.

Does anyone dose these without testing your iodine, potassium, iron etc.

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @KieAnderson.
I am using the Rea Sea Calc, Alk, Mag and the Trace colors. I was not testing for the trace elements until recently. Unfortunately, only the potassium reagents are working and providing accurate results. Somewhere buried in the documentation is how to dose the trace colors based on your daily calcium uptake. Off the top of my head I want to say it is either a 10 or 20 to 1 ratio. Meaning for every 20ml of calcium you dose, you would then dose 1ml of each of the trace colors (but don't quote me...lol).

It is always a good practice to test for something if you are going to dose it. The last thing you want is to over dose an element and nuke the tank.

I'm sure others will chime in that have more experience than I. I'm only a year into this, and loving every minute.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either dose them by testing the elements individually and if you do this they sell a special set of tests, but I wouldn’t. They don’t look very user friendly and I sent mine back as soon as they arrived.

Most dose them based on calcium uptake in the system, including myself. It’s all shown in the instructions

OP
OP
KieAnderson

KieAnderson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to seem thick, I've only had a live rock tank before with no coral. Do you test for calcium then is that a different test kit I need to get? I only have GSP and Zoa so not the most advanced in corals, but want to get my head around it before getting anything better

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start you off you can get these if you want to stay with Red Sea products. Personally I use Red Sea for Ca, Mg, No3, Fe, I and K. Alk and Po4 I use the Hanna checkers.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used this stuff for 6 months, the dose is based on CA consumption and water volume.
In 6 months I see absolutely no change whatsoever, except for a scolly which lost its skin.
I discontinued 2 years ago now as it was expensive and I see no gain.

All the stuff you need is already in the salt mix, so make the weekly 10% change which is safe.

If you want great color, then buy only the most colorful corals for your tank.

CEEE588B-4D01-44EC-8DED-A4E2D05F42C8.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back