Red Sea XL200 Return Pipe Seal (on tank)

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought a second-hand Red Sea XL 200 and for some reason the 'collar' on the return pipe 'through-glass fitting' has been removed (if someone can correct my description of these parts, I'd be grateful!) The removal of the collar has also torn the silicone seal. The 'collar' on the emergency drain is also slightly loose.

As silicone doesn't stick to silicone, I presume I would have to remove the entire fitting and the old silicone from the tank and reseal it?

Any other advice?

Image1.JPG

Image2.JPG

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Electrical Fittings, not Bulkhead Fittings. You need Bulkhead Fittings. They are sized to the Pipe they fit. So a 1 Inch Bulkhead would be for 1 Inch Pipe, and will fit the Larger hole in the glass.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, they look just like the Anti-Short Bushings and Nuts we use, when running wire through Machinery Panels. Even the little Moulding Bump is there, that’s on the PVC ones.

OP
OP
flyingscampi

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea support provided the following answer:

"Thank you for contacting Red Sea.

You are able to simply screw the nut back into place. Or if you carefully clean up underside of the bulkhead removing the original glue prior to applying a bit of silicone to the area and screwing the nut back into place. We confirm the nut plays no part in the actual sealing of the pipework and is only used to support/hold the pipe in place on the sump side of the bulkhead."

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back