Red Sea XXL 750 - New Build - Rocklin

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank came in last Thursday so I rented a trailer and picked it up Friday. Using some furniture dolly's and brute strength we were able to get the tank into the trailer safely. With only two guys, getting it out of the trailer at the house was quite a challenge.

IMG_4521.JPG

Tank is packed extremely well.

IMG_4525.JPG

Furniture layout

IMG_4526.JPG

Stand about complete. Pretty simple if you've done a lot of IKEA furniture.

IMG_4527.JPG

Probably the hardest lift was going from the furniture dollies up onto the stand.

IMG_4534.JPG

Fun shot

IMG_4541.JPG

Not the scape I'm using and I have another light but it was good to see it all coming together.

IMG_4539.JPG

Started the controls cabinet work.

Next steps will be finalize the scape, hook up remaining equipment and tidy up cables, add water. Also have a 29g QT I'll be setting up. More to come ...

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Build! I like the mandatory, "stick kids in tank" shot.
Thanks Rerana. I've seen it a couple times and thought it was funny. The little one was a no-brainer but then big sis wanted to jump in. Biggest tank i've ever had so i'm enjoying this one.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the stand have a floor? I was a little confused as the tank was on the stand in one of the pictures, but there didnt appear to be a floor in there.

Anyhow - great start to a build thread. Whats the stocking plan? Couple of big fish, or lots of smaller ones? Full blown SPS tank or mixed reef???

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment List
Tank - Red Sea Reefer XXL 750
Main Lighting - Kessil AP700 x2
Fuge Lighting - Kessil H380
Flow - Maxspect Gyre XF250 x2 (w/icecap modules)
Skimmer - Deltec SC1455
Main Pump - Aquamaxx Magnus 12000
Heater - Eheim Jager 300W x2
Controller - Neptune Apex
Dosers - Jebao DP-4 x2

Future Equipment
Chiller?
Add another EB832
Reactor?

A couple things i learned about equipment..
1. The Kessil Tank Mounts are only one arm per box so for two lights i needed to order 4. I assumed mounting arms would come as a pair. o_O
2. The Kessil Tank Mounts have extensions for tanks that have a lot of depth in order to center the light (front to back).
3. The Maxspect Gyre "pump only" does not come with a power supply and neither does the Icecap module (if you go that route).
4. The Maxspect Gyre used with Icecap module requires a special cable to be able to reverse flow with Apex. (havent confirmed this but have read it).
5. 300W Eheim heaters are very LONG.

I'm sure more will pop up along the way and i'll share as they do.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the stand have a floor? I was a little confused as the tank was on the stand in one of the pictures, but there didnt appear to be a floor in there.

Anyhow - great start to a build thread. Whats the stocking plan? Couple of big fish, or lots of smaller ones? Full blown SPS tank or mixed reef???

Thanks KS.

Yes the stand has floor inserts inside the cabinet doors for the sump and electrical cabinet. They dont touch the floor though. The whole perimeter of the stand sits on adjustable feet. That pic i posted was before the inserts were added. Fortunately i did not have to adjust the feet at all.

As far as stocking plan, I plan to add a decent amount of fish and then corals at some point. Mixed reef is the target. Fish stock list looks something like this:
- Clownfish (1 or 2)
- Tangs (1 blue, 2 yellow, 2 purple, 1 sailfin)
- Gobies (1 or 2)
- Sifting Starfish (cuz the kids will love them)
- Lawnmower Blenny (1 or 2)
- Chromis (8-10)
- Fox Face
- Fairy Wrasse (1 or 2)
- Banghai Cardinals (8-10)

Not sure if that is too much load or too much fish for this tank and this is not a finalized list. This is a draft list so if there are any comments on the stocking, please let me know. Not new to tanks but new to salt so pretty much a newb.

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'll be taking notes for my future build...
Is the plan to use the gyres in opposing flow? i.e. one runs for 6 hours and then the other runs for 6 hours... thus reversing the flow in the tank..?

Also, I thought the 750's came with a metal (powder coated) stand versus the ikea-like stuff????? or is it the Peninsula series. ?

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'll be taking notes for my future build...
Is the plan to use the gyres in opposing flow? i.e. one runs for 6 hours and then the other runs for 6 hours... thus reversing the flow in the tank..?

Also, I thought the 750's came with a metal (powder coated) stand versus the ikea-like stuff????? or is it the Peninsula series. ?

Thanks MM.

For they gyres, alternate opposing flow is one of my considerations. I also may try angling the flow downward one and upward on the other at various speeds. I know these things push water like crazy so i'll have to test some modes out. I was initially thinking i might need a couple small pumps on the back wall but from what i have read, these two gyre's plus the return should be plenty of movement. I'll have post video on that.

So the stand is pretty good quality and by no means am I bashing Ikea stuff, i have plenty of it. :) But the connections are of the pin/cam and dowel type and while the boards are not cheap presswood but rather a better version of particle board, you can still break stuff if you are overly aggressive at tightening things. Once everything is together and tight, the stand is very strong. Powder coated metal frame would have been awesome. The front doors are super nice and they are a different paint than the rest of the stand. The front looks very sharp when all said and done.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding need for a chiller, I have a 450 and don't need one. I keep the house at 78.
Good to know Shay...i try to keep house at 78 lol. It gets pretty hot here during the summer so hopefully it will be okay. If not, i have room, just would rather spend that money on fish :)

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With inprovements in technology like LED and energy efficient pumps along with tanks without canopies, they run much cooler in the summer. If my house is 78, my tank is 79.

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know Shay...i try to keep house at 78 lol. It gets pretty hot here during the summer so hopefully it will be okay. If not, i have room, just would rather spend that money on fish :)

In my house(South Florida)... During the day (when I'm at work) the A/C gets set at 79. When I get home(7pm) its dropped to 77 and then dropped again to 74 when I go to bed (~11pm). If the coral I buy cant take those temps, oh well. They better learn to live with it! LOL

But keep in mind, I'm on the "easier to keep" coral list... i.e. no SPS. If (when) I get there, I'll start investigating tank temp control, but for now... the corals in MY HOUSE seem to be just fine. I dont hear any complaints. LOL

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was hoping to post an update but Amazon lost some of my deliveries :mad:. Should have some progress over the weekend. Been working to get my QT set up and figuring out my rock scape, tightening up my stocking list, adjusting the Red Sea cabinet doors....

Anyways, found out i'll need a booster pump for RODI...didnt see that coming but it's on order now. I sometimes feel like i'm getting nickeled and dimed with this hobby but once fish are in, i'll forget all about it.

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think you're getting nickle and dime-ed now..... Just wait. LOL

Meanwhile... "sever weather" has delayed my new mini-reactor and other goodies. :(

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally have some time for an update. Got the booster pump for RODI, definitely needed that. 40 psi increase has been helping get the tank filled. Finalized rockscape, added sand, plumbed return pump and started filling.

IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4614.JPG

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is full, pumps are on, things are looking good. I busted the apex temp probe by taking the plastic cap off. DONT DO THAT. The pH probe is not reacting so I have a support ticket in for that. Started adding salt and will dose Stability when I reach 1.025. Dosed the QT tank and can't wait to start getting fish and critters.

A few lessons learned:

Don't remove the plastic cap from Apex temp probe.

Order larger clamps than the flex hose you have. I have 1" and ordered 1" clamps and I can't get them closed. ;Bored Will order 1.25" next.

Label power and apex prior to start so there's no question on what is where. Plan your startup.

Those under cabinet lights I installed are freaking indispensable. Pat myself on the back. :)

That's it for now.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back