Red Sea's new Reef Energy AB+ is a fail.

Giancarlo_f

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own I guess, but red sea ab+ is one of the only things I've put in the tank that's gotten am obvious feeding response from my across, LPS, and even my gonioporas which don't normally react to feeding attempts. I'll use what works refrigeration required or not... it's easy enough to pour 20 ml of this stuff to a grad cylinder, pour in tank and put it back in the fridge.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do not move my Superman monti frag every week it seals onto the glass, I had to stick a small knife in and edge it / score it back off the glass ab is making it grow very very fast still

20210227_124944.jpg

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about this now. The whole hype was you can hook up to a doser and no need to worry about refrigerating. Can you snap a pic of the instructions?

My worry initially though, is this the spam version of pork? Apparently we’re not to spam yet.
It is funny that there big bottle has a lid designed to connect to a doser. Such a hassle to measure out weekly. Clean out container. That being said I love the results I am seeing. I just pour in 25ml and back in the fridge. Don’t need a doser. Only thing that is a bummer is a wanted to keep a bunch in my doser and have the freedom to go on vacations while corals still get nutrition

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hyped up for months that this new product would not need refrigeration and could be set up on a doser. Now that it is (finally) out, the directions say to refrigerate after opening. This is a fail on Red Sea's part and I am severely disappointed. I will not be buying anymore Red Sea products...

I will say that I would‘t trust any wet food or food-like additive that *didn’t* need refrigeration. If it doesn't’ need refrigeration, it probably doesn’t have any nutrients.

Grab yourself a small DC refrigerator on amazon, drill a hole or cut a notch in the gasket, run the tube through, silicon it, and you’re done. Or do what I do, create a full liquid food mixture on a magnetic stirrer in said refrigerator.

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dosing this stuff, still having to walk all the way over to the fridge to get the bottle and fill up the cup and walk all they way back to the tank. Hah JK I don’t care
Seriously though my tank loves this stuff as you can see. 10 ml every other day for a 65 gallon tank. My N’s and P’s are always super low, AB+ probably keeps everything out of the red. I guess my from the ocean live rock is extremely efficient at processing nutrients. It’s been a little over a year and the only down side is having to trim my corals. Seriously it’s a pain and I have no one near me to take pieces

Attachments

• 285C9940-F967-4090-BE5E-DE6E651510AA.jpeg
    285C9940-F967-4090-BE5E-DE6E651510AA.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 147

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you....if you use your imagination - you can keep it "refrigerated" just fine ;)

Mines hooked up to my doser........been running for months now - no fridge needed :p

I can go a few weeks...before I need to fill up again. My tank LOVES ab+

Screenshot_20210520-123732_Gallery.jpg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you....if you use your imagination - you can keep it "refrigerated" just fine ;)

Mines hooked up to my doser........been running for months now - no fridge needed :p

I can go a few weeks...before I need to fill up again. My tank LOVES ab+

Screenshot_20210520-123732_Gallery.jpg
what did you use for this sorcery that you have here?!?!?

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hyped up for months that this new product would not need refrigeration and could be set up on a doser. Now that it is (finally) out, the directions say to refrigerate after opening. This is a fail on Red Sea's part and I am severely disappointed. I will not be buying anymore Red Sea products...

Are you serious. How can you be so upset over a product needing refrigeration. That just means there's zero preservatives n xtra crap thats bad for your tank.... I understand it was a let down with all the marketing bs just to have to refrigerate it in the end. But don't be so mad that you forget to give the product a trt. Yea it's not perfect, but the ab+ is literally the best coral food supplement I have found on the market. No more powder food or aminos for this guy,which has saved me tons of money,and that in itself I'm all about. I hope you give it a shot and don't exile an entire product line for 1 mistake. Everything has its pros and cons. When I first started using this Red sea stuff I overdosed the heck out of it and had bubble algae and gha explode everywhere in my tank. I was so mad at them for everywhere on the bottle it saying to dose more if this or that happens and stating nowhere atleast a warning that overdosage can cause unwanted algae growth. So took me awhile to find the dose I needed for my tank, and when I did boy was I happy,and my colonies are even happier.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I would‘t trust any wet food or food-like additive that *didn’t* need refrigeration. If it doesn't’ need refrigeration, it probably doesn’t have any nutrients.

Grab yourself a small DC refrigerator on amazon, drill a hole or cut a notch in the gasket, run the tube through, silicon it, and you’re done. Or do what I do, create a full liquid food mixture on a magnetic stirrer in said refrigerator.
Nice we call that hightek redneck here in dubv

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already been through six bottles. Not only have I had significant growth; polyp extension is a lot better. Not many have stated the size of their tank or type of corals. For a 200 gallon tank that is SPS dominant, I dose 35ml a day. The bottle says dose 8ml a day per 25 gallons.
I had a coral almost die than I started using this stuff and the coral healed like wild fire

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coral almost die than I started using this stuff and the coral healed like wild fire
I just put in my first dose today after being recommended by my LFS. I did 4ml in my 20 gallon and that felt like a bit much.

If my nitrates are already at 30ppm - how much would you suggest i dose? My current thinking is 1-2 times a week at 2ml. Trying to avoid any crazy algae

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME it definitely causes algae to grow (which also means it can help coral grow). My macro definitely exploded after dosing, but the corals look a lot better also. FYI, I had very low nutrients before dosing (NO3 ~.4, PO4 .004)

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME it definitely causes algae to grow (which also means it can help coral grow). My macro definitely exploded after dosing, but the corals look a lot better also. FYI, I had very low nutrients before dosing (NO3 ~.4, PO4 .004)
Is it better to pipette a little into each coral or just dump it right in. Also turn pumps off or leave em?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add it to the aquarium, the corals can uptake it from the water column. Time off your skimmer for about an hour but keep flow going.

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add it to the aquarium, the corals can uptake it from the water column. Time off your skimmer for about an hour but keep flow going.
I target fed before I knew that - will make sure I adjust. How many times per week if nitrates are 30?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target fed before I knew that - will make sure I adjust. How many times per week if nitrates are 30?
I keep my tank really dirty and run a lot of nutrient export but my corals explode from the stuff I use Ab+ daily. I use brightwell revive on fleshy coral when I see them not doing good and they rebound

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in my first dose today after being recommended by my LFS. I did 4ml in my 20 gallon and that felt like a bit much.

If my nitrates are already at 30ppm - how much would you suggest i dose? My current thinking is 1-2 times a week at 2ml. Trying to avoid any crazy algaeI
I couldn’t keep SPS alive longer than 3 months in my system I tried 5 different species. They all perished. I am only doing what I am successful with now so I am focused only on LPS and soft corals. They love a dirty tank and thrive the most in those conditions. Also easier for me as well to keep them. :) I use 2ml of AB+ daily, and brightwell restore for 2 weeks if I see any fleshy damage. Brightwell restore doesn’t work on Sps only Sps and LpS. Heal time is usually about that from my own knowledge. After they just grow on top of the damage.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back