Red Sea's new Reef Energy AB+ is a fail.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hyped up for months that this new product would not need refrigeration and could be set up on a doser. Now that it is (finally) out, the directions say to refrigerate after opening. This is a fail on Red Sea's part and I am severely disappointed. I will not be buying anymore Red Sea products...

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4ml a day for SPS, that's 28ml in a week. The smallest bottle is 250ml. So I'm going to waste 222ml ever week? Measure out exactly 28ml and put that in my dosing container for my pump to never prime that little amount of solution?

I'll stick with a product that doesnt need refrigeration. Red Sea lied to us.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats your call, but I don't see it as lying to anyone. Every other product has to be refrigerated at all times, and this can be left for up to a week.

In all honesty, I don't buy into 3/4 of what Red Sea sells. It's 99% marketing hype and fancy colored boxes. It's what gets people to buy these days, and it obviously works well for them.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 4ml a day for SPS, that's 28ml in a week. The smallest bottle is 250ml. So I'm going to waste 222ml ever week? Measure out exactly 28ml and put that in my dosing container for my pump to never prime that little amount of solution?

Or you spend 3-4 seconds and pouring out 28ml and 5-30 seconds walking from your fridge to where you keep your dosing pumps once a week and a bottle lasts you 8 weeks+

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats your call, but I don't see it as lying to anyone. Every other product has to be refrigerated at all times, and this can be left for up to a week.

In all honesty, I don't buy into 3/4 of what Red Sea sells. It's 99% marketing hype and fancy colored boxes. It's what gets people to buy these days, and it obviously works well for them.
Acropower does not need refrigeration, and has been out and proven for years. Most of everything now is marketing, but the older Red Sea energy did do well, just having to keep it refrigerated and remembering to dose was aggravating.

I work swing shift, 12 hours, days and nights. I have no set schedule so I automate as much as I can so the tank is stable, even if I'm not able to attend to it for days at a time.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the kit but haven't used it yet. if a product needs refrigerating after opening doesn't that mean there are preservatives? Adding to topoff may be a way to use it up.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refrigeration was a concern for me as well. I found the Quantum line of products do not require refrigeration after opening. Take a look at Quantum Bio-Enhance.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious about this now. The whole hype was you can hook up to a doser and no need to worry about refrigerating. Can you snap a pic of the instructions?

My worry initially though, is this the spam version of pork? Apparently we’re not to spam yet.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought it too ,and although im.not using my doser to dose it, I was surprised to see it in bold saying refrigerate after opening . Kinda lame but more importantly I'm just concerned about it working . 10 ml a day no big deal

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refrigeration was a concern for me as well. I found the Quantum line of products do not require refrigeration after opening. Take a look at Quantum Bio-Enhance.

Funny you link Aquarium Specialty. Their shop is 12 minutes from my house. I'll go check that out tomorrow.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing 8ml a day by hand for a month and a half and i have seen results on SPS. It’s kinda nice dumping this fluorescent stuff into the tank and watching the flow move it around. I have not seen any algae or cyano issues like I have gotten with the old Red Sea and Brightwell if I dosed everyday. Very happy so far but that’s just my opinion. If you don’t like it don’t use it, more for me. Here is a crappy picture of rainbow Mille on feb1 and here is the same guy two days ago. I would say that’s results. Is it because of Red Sea stuff? Idk maybe just Coincidence

B7E80F8F-1245-452D-B6F4-BE080568A838.png 196000A8-DE73-4004-8B23-219BC113B6D1.png

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was real happy when they came out with the new formula. I don't have to worry about skimmer overflow!! I have seen my coral's polyps extend out big time when I dose. As far as refrigerating it, I was disappointed but it's not a game changer and will continue to use it.

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was valuable info regarding this new product turns out all I read was complaining. LOL. But is it justifiable nonetheless.

Walking to a refrigerator is hard to do these days especially when we have modern conveniences like UberEats, Grubhub and all the other services around to feed us, I get it, we want the same for our hobby.

For those of you that will continue to use this stuff please post your progress. I also hope you buy a larger amount of this stuff so you don't feel bad about purchasing 250ml for a 1000 gallon tank...lol

But with all honesty. It was clearly printed on the PDF file and on the website that you may have it out for a week. I am sorry to hear that it is not the most convenient product to date. Maybe Red Sea can sell us a person to do the job for us? I like that idea.

Happy Reefing!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fail is with the marketing regarding the one week period, this is leading people to think they can just re-fill every week. Unfortunately even RS states to wash the dosing vessel out with soap and water between every refill, ie. every week if not refrigerated. If you just dose and keep refilling every week, it will foul the dosing container quickly.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that this is a failure. I really liked the idea of being able to dos this through my Apex DOS and automate this process. Yet having to change out the solution every 7 days has me thinking it may not be worth it.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was valuable info regarding this new product turns out all I read was complaining. LOL. But is it justifiable nonetheless.

Walking to a refrigerator is hard to do these days especially when we have modern conveniences like UberEats, Grubhub and all the other services around to feed us, I get it, we want the same for our hobby.

For those of you that will continue to use this stuff please post your progress. I also hope you buy a larger amount of this stuff so you don't feel bad about purchasing 250ml for a 1000 gallon tank...lol

But with all honesty. It was clearly printed on the PDF file and on the website that you may have it out for a week. I am sorry to hear that it is not the most convenient product to date. Maybe Red Sea can sell us a person to do the job for us? I like that idea.

Happy Reefing!
Imma need you to sit your non essential behind on the couch and watch Tiger King for the 5th time. ;Hilarious

I have a job, and essential one. I work 12 hours swing shifts, even thru all this nonsense quarantine bull hockey. They are even talking about the possibility of me having to stay at work for 2 weeks straight. That's right, live at work for two weeks.

Half of the month I have to have my wife feed the tank because I'm either at work or sleeping. When someone advertises that I can just set it up on a doser and not worry with it, and then tell me I have to refrigerate it and measure out 20ml every week and somehow get a dosing pump to prime that small amount of liquid in a dosing container that i then have to disinfect ever time I refill it... They used false advertising and failed their customer base.

i_am_poor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When someone advertises that I can just set it up on a doser and not worry with it, and then tell me I have to refrigerate it and measure out 20ml every week and somehow get a dosing pump to prime that small amount of liquid in a dosing container that i then have to disinfect ever time I refill it... They used false advertising and failed their customer base.

Can you show us as to where a Red Sea employee or Red Sea marketing falsely advertised the product to you?

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show us as to where a Red Sea employee or Red Sea marketing falsely advertised the product to you?
Red Sea has obviously long since deleted or edited those web pages, and I'm not going to try and dig thru archived dark web to prove to you what was windly known advertising. You can do that yourself. Here is an article from Reef Breeders talking about how it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Why would they focus on the added benefit of not needing refrigeration, if that was never a thing Red Ssa advertised?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back