Red Slime Problem

Jeff Shaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my tank has quickly been growing red slime algae (my unofficial, armature diagnosis). I have attached pictures of my problem. The sand bed is about 3 days growth as I just did a water change 3 days ago and vacuumed the sand then.

Some Notes
  • I only JUST started vacuuming the sand (last 2 weeks). Didn't realize how important that was.
  • Tank currently only home to 2 fish, 2 shrimp and 2 snails
  • Nitrate/Phosphate levels routinely test below 10ppm
  • Use RO/DI water
  • Very light feeding right now, trying to get the tank stable before adding more animals
  • Lighting is a cheap NICREW (Here on Amazon)
  • Did a clumsy restart on the tank about 10 months ago and have been trying to stabilize ever since; did NOT replace sand bed when I restarted
Looking for suggestions on next steps....I'm thinking a sand rinse at the bare minimum but am open to suggestions.

Pictures
rock.jpg

sandbed.jpg

Last edited:

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only just now stilled the sand bed you probably uplifted alot of detritus. I would keep it up and keep it clean if it doesnt cause too much trouble. For 3 days growth I would say that's probably what it is because when your tank is really out of wack cyano can grow really thick really fast. If that is the case let the tank find its balance and increase flow around your sandbed.

OP
OP
Jeff Shaw

Jeff Shaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I've added a power head directly at the sand. It's been worse but has gotten betters since I've started siphoning. Will keep at it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back