Red Slime?

bmac300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is over a year old and i've had this red slime on the rocks and sand for months now. It seems to be getting worse, i usually just blow it off the rocks and sand and siphon it up.
I assumed it was cyanobacteria and did one treatment of chemiclean red cyanobacteria remover but that didn't eliminate it. That and a water change seemed to help but it is back.
The tank is 120 gallon with only a few fish and some corals. Corals are doing good as well as the fish. Only have a few CUC members as it is impossible to get anything in my area due to covid.

Nitrates fluctuate between 25 and 50 and phosphates I measure at about 0.25. Both with Salifert test kits.

I've taken a few pictures with a very cheap USB microscope. Not the best quality but i'm hoping someone would be able to identify what this is so i determine a proper procedure to remove it. I've zoomed in a much as i can with this $10 USB microscope.

Thanks for any identification or confirmation if it is cyanobacteria.

RedSlime3.jpg RedSlime2.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red cyano!

If your nutrients are out of whack or fluctuating, this stuff like to take control.

The long term approach is better tank husbandry with better nutrient control, regular water changes, etc... But I've found that another dose of chemiclean followed by a big water change helps the most for piece of mind by clearing out a lot of it... then work on the husbandry!

Before chemi-clean, siphon out as much as possible.

OP
OP
B

bmac300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try another dose of chemiclean and maybe increase the water changes. I do about 20 gallons a month currently. Thanks for the advice.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back