Red snail hitchhiker

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This neat looking snail hitched a ride on some Florida Keys rock. It almost looks like a freshwater nerite snail lol. Seemed to be grazing on some diatoms earlier. Any thoughts on an id? Maybe about a 1/4 long.

20220523_094656.jpg 20220523_093139.jpg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears very similar to a nassarius snail. They eat just about anything, usually dead or decaying matter and detritus. If it is moving fast, for a snail anyway, its probably definitely a nassarius.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears very similar to a nassarius snail. They eat just about anything, usually dead or decaying matter and detritus. If it is moving fast, for a snail anyway, its probably definitely a nassarius.
Only 2 types of nassarius are truly safe for our tanks, and neither is red. I would remove it.
(Nassarius vibex and distortus are the ones that only eat carrion, most of the others are carnivores, and most of those will happily kill other things in the tank.)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 2 types of nassarius are truly safe for our tanks, and neither is red. I would remove it.
(Nassarius vibex and distortus are the ones that only eat carrion, most of the others are carnivores, and most of those will happily kill other things in the tank.)
I myself dabble in a bit of Battle Royale with my inverts - particularly hermit crabs (I've rehomed about a dozen strays that all typically get along). I'm sure there are probably one or two bonafide killers in the tank, but I keep everyone well-fed so there's a minimum of hostilities.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back