Red spots on my rockwork?

Nano Saltyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys..!
I wanted to ask to guys what is this red stuff that’s started to grow on the rocks. The tank is newly setup and is 3 months old. The stuff that’s growing is not hard and it comes off if I rub it with my finger or brush. I have Vibrant Reef Cleaner with me, will it help me with this issue?
There is no large bioload in the tank, only 3 thin striped hermit crabs.
Current parameters are,
pH - 8.2
Amm. - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 30 ppm
The lights are running for 6 hours only.

435AFA1C-479C-4353-9ED0-E43B6830652F.jpeg 241A5395-F56B-4714-90CE-604CAB09DF6D.jpeg CA52C473-E1C9-4360-B98F-956AC7667459.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely it's cyano, Looks like you started your system with dry rock and sand. I'd recommend reading Aquabiomics article on using maricultured live rock. You might find these videos informative also:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nano Saltyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely it's cyano, Looks like you started your system with dry rock and sand. I'd recommend reading Aquabiomics article on using maricultured live rock. You might find these videos informative also:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Yes, you are right I started with dry sand and rocks. But I live in India and Live rock is very hard to get hold of in here. Just wanted to ask if cyano is something to be worried about? Thanks for the resources.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can be a problem but it's not something I really worry about. It's generally an indicator something is off in a system. It's also just part of the "uglies" a maturing tank will go through the first 8 -12 months. I would try to add more diversity somehow. (Maybe one the "mud" products for refugiums? How far from the coast do you live, some rock rubble would add some of the microbial stuff and sponges that are useful.) I would also siphon out any cyano and other nuisance algae with small weekly water changes. Less frequent water changes are fine too but you'll find nuisance algae are going to get established more between them.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back