Red stuff growing all over my aquarium! Anyone know what this is???

Cease565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the title says my tank is covered in dark red “stuff” I’m guessing it’s a type of algae?? Is there anything that eats it??

B8EFCB83-E5D3-4450-A27A-C0EA48A46931.jpeg 67567A15-E055-45A2-993F-25E8910FCCB6.jpeg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow...that's a lot of cyano. You probably need a higher flow through those areas it's covering.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano Bacteria for sure.
Cyanobacteria are sometimes considered algae, but they are actually bacteria (prokaryotic), where the term "algae" is now reserved for eukaryotic organisms. They also derive their energy through photosynthesis, but lack a nucleus or membrane bound organelles, like chloroplasts. Actually, cyanobacteria may have evolved into the first chloroplasts, as evidenced by similar structural and genetic traits. Cyanobacteria have a unique set of pigments used in photosynthesis, called the phycobiliproteins (phycobilins), which can give some of them a blue-green color. Cyanobacteria are also responsible for many of the Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs) that cause ecological, economical and public health concerns in waterways, many times through the production of cyanotoxins.
High flow, low flow, high light, low light, people have had issues under several tank conditions.

Last edited:

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do toy have powerheads in the tank for flow? What kind of water do you use to mix your salt? (Ro/di filtered or tap) also what kind of lighting are you using? And lastly have you tested your water parameters?

I didn't see any fish in your picture so assuming it's a new setup? Tell us a little about what you have going on...

As stated above its definitly cyano bacteria. Just trying to figure out how to help you move forward

OP
OP
Cease565

Cease565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do toy have powerheads in the tank for flow? What kind of water do you use to mix your salt? (Ro/di filtered or tap) also what kind of lighting are you using? And lastly have you tested your water parameters?

I didn't see any fish in your picture so assuming it's a new setup? Tell us a little about what you have going on...

As stated above its definitly cyano bacteria. Just trying to figure out how to help you move forward
There actually are fish in there only 4 small ones lol I had six but 2 of the unexpectedly died for no apparent reason and now I only have 4. A clownfish, royal gramma, exquisite fire fish and a azure damsel. I use RODI water from my LFS and I have a FX6 canister filter. It’s the best I can do no room for a sump. I use a marine land light meant for planted aquariums as I have chaeto in there. And no power heads at the moment just the output from the canister filter that is actually kind of strong but I know I probably need more. Water parameters are fine even though I haven’t done a water change in almost a month and a half. I’m guessing because I have very little fish and they are tiny.

OP
OP
Cease565

Cease565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a freshwater tank that's been filled with saltwater. Let me guess, canister filter?
What's your source water?
It’s a saltwater FOWLR, also have a few cleaner shrimps and CC Starfish. I added the fake plants just for decoration. Yes I have a Fluval FX6 canister because that’s the best I can do. No room for sump. I buy RODI from my LFS. I just haven’t done a water change in a month & 1/2 because the water parameters are still good and fish are fine. Big tank, very few fish and very small.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done a water change in almost a month and a half.

This is probably the major contributing factor to your cyano. The second is likely a lack of maintenance on the canister filter. They can go many weeks on a freshwater system, but not so on a marine tank. Post your parameters and people will point out areas to improve.

You'd be better off with an oversized hang on filter that you can just put in some filter floss padding, and a small powerhead at one end of the tank to move the water around.

My overall opinion here is that you're managing a marine tank like a freshwater tank, and most things have just enough of a difference that the methods don't work. The good news is, you're in the right place to get help finding better ways to manage your tank.

OP
OP
Cease565

Cease565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the major contributing factor to your cyano. The second is likely a lack of maintenance on the canister filter. They can go many weeks on a freshwater system, but not so on a marine tank. Post your parameters and people will point out areas to improve.

You'd be better off with an oversized hang on filter that you can just put in some filter floss padding, and a small powerhead at one end of the tank to move the water around.

My overall opinion here is that you're managing a marine tank like a freshwater tank, and most things have just enough of a difference that the methods don't work. The good news is, you're in the right place to get help finding better ways to manage your tank.
There are no HOB filters for 125 gallon tanks. At least I’ve never seen any. I know everyone has opinions on different methods and equipment but I’ve had my tank like this for about 5 months and never had any major problems. I think because I only have 4 small fish in a 125 gallon I’ve been able to get away with a few things.

OP
OP
Cease565

Cease565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also add that some freshwater fake plants and decorations have been known to degrade in saltwater. I don't recommend them.
I will look into that, thanks for letting me know.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back