Red to Green Color Change in Walt Disney, Orange Passion

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange in a WD is definitely not from trick lighting. I've definitely seen orange WD polyps under 14k lighting.
mine has the goldish base and orange polyps but then again it is under 20k radium bulbs, coral+ and blue plus t5, and reef brite xho blues.

you could say that i never want to doubt my spectrum :)

JoaoTomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you were relating millepora protein changes with WD and OP corals, but they are tenuis, not millis.

At any rate, from my observation/experiences going mostly green with any acro is from too much blue lighting or not enough par. I consider a coral going green as just a form of browning. I define brown outs as losing their normal coloration.

I've seen corals go green before they actually go brown as well and vice a versa.

I believe this is mainly from lighting if nutrients are in the common range most tanks are kept at.

After all the discussion, I'm 100% with the Big E opinion!
Blue/actinic light makes more fluorescence colours in the SPS and can dramaticly change the acropora overall colour, in a reversible way...

Nutrients can be a key in this too, in conjunction with more or less PAR.

About K, it's curious saying that can change the colours fot a more green form (iron overdosing I heard several times the association with the color green.), because my Red Planet is my eye ball for the Potassium value in my tank when it starts to fade de red/pink colour I know it lacks of K, and by my measurement I can say that below 350 ppm of K, it start to lose the intense red/pink. After a quick dosing with KCl, in a few days only I start immediately seeing the ref/pink intense colour appears once again.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s is my WD on arrival back on Oct 5th
E7F58A9F-FB34-4965-A326-26F926F226A4.png

Here it is now under hydra 52 HD’s, ab+, 450 par
NO3 0.5-2, PO4 0.01-0.05
FC5E0617-EA0B-4A4E-A044-05B571667A15.png

It’s definitely getting more purple on the tips

tnyr5

Tony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*puts hand on bridge of nose and lets out exhausted sigh* Your acros are turning green...because they are tiny frags that have lost the colors of the adult colony from which they were recently cut when you got them and said colors will return when the coral has grown back into a colony.

Biggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the possibility that there are two proteins present - one red and one green, and environmental changes could favor the expression of the green protein over the red one.

In regards to acropora species, the environmental condition that has a dramatic impact on the green protein expression in home aquariums is flow. There is a trend in the hobby these days to go bare bottom and belt the tank with ridiculous amounts of flow. Many acropora will produce what we consider excessive amounts of green if they are subjected to continual flow that far exceeds the corals optimal flow requirements.
Because i can literally ' force ' certain acropora in my display to express green pigments if i subject them to excessive flow i tend to think it may be a stress response.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a typical American male (or so I like to believe :) ), I like to boil questions down to what I perceive to be the underlying or fundamental question which in this case seems to be how to make the corals in question color up in the way the owner expects. I do not have a scientific explanation, but I do think the answer is simple. What parameters did the donor aquarium have? My suspicion (because I remain an adamant believer that LED light should be an accent and not the primary light source) is that CW simply needs to add a couple T5s to make the corals color up in a fashion more like his expectations. Big E has an aquarium with coral coloration that is unparalleled in it's beauty and lighting simplicity, and I take that as proof of efficacy that is indisputable. The bottom line comes down to something hobbyists learned long ago . . . namely you use a light source similar to a Radium and supplement it with broad spectrum PAR and you get beautifully colored corals (all other parameters being close to "normal" ). LEDs are digital. They shot photons in a tight spectrum and a tight angle. They are much less like "natural" light than the previous light sources that were common in our hobby.

As to using trace elements to change color, again I have no science or research papers to quote only my personal experience which seemed to indicate that increasing trace elements could change colors, but my gut told me this was happening because of toxicity and not increased health so I stopped. Too bad we don't have infinite time and funds to test all these ideas :D

I think we should start a GoFundMe campaign so Dana can test the hypothesis of whether a change in LED spectrum alters the color of WD from red to green, and a simultaneous experiment to test whether an increase in potassium can have the same effect. It'd make great science, no?

Anyways gotta say the WD coral sure is pretty :D

JP

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a typical American male (or so I like to believe :) ), I like to boil questions down to what I perceive to be the underlying or fundamental question which in this case seems to be how to make the corals in question color up in the way the owner expects. I do not have a scientific explanation, but I do think the answer is simple. What parameters did the donor aquarium have? My suspicion (because I remain an adamant believer that LED light should be an accent and not the primary light source) is that CW simply needs to add a couple T5s to make the corals color up in a fashion more like his expectations. Big E has an aquarium with coral coloration that is unparalleled in it's beauty and lighting simplicity, and I take that as proof of efficacy that is indisputable. The bottom line comes down to something hobbyists learned long ago . . . namely you use a light source similar to a Radium and supplement it with broad spectrum PAR and you get beautifully colored corals (all other parameters being close to "normal" ). LEDs are digital. They shot photons in a tight spectrum and a tight angle. They are much less like "natural" light than the previous light sources that were common in our hobby.

As to using trace elements to change color, again I have no science or research papers to quote only my personal experience which seemed to indicate that increasing trace elements could change colors, but my gut told me this was happening because of toxicity and not increased health so I stopped. Too bad we don't have infinite time and funds to test all these ideas :D

I think we should start a GoFundMe campaign so Dana can test the hypothesis of whether a change in LED spectrum alters the color of WD from red to green, and a simultaneous experiment to test whether an increase in potassium can have the same effect. It'd make great science, no?

Anyways gotta say the WD coral sure is pretty :D

JP
GoFundMe - love them. They got my lab up much quicker than would have been otherwise possible.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to acropora species, the environmental condition that has a dramatic impact on the green protein expression in home aquariums is flow. There is a trend in the hobby these days to go bare bottom and belt the tank with ridiculous amounts of flow. Many acropora will produce what we consider excessive amounts of green if they are subjected to continual flow that far exceeds the corals optimal flow requirements.
Because i can literally ' force ' certain acropora in my display to express green pigments if i subject them to excessive flow i tend to think it may be a stress response.
Any hypothesis? I'm thinking high flow/thin boundary layer/increased uptake of micronutrient. Thoughts?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really? How long did it take the coral to become different in color and you are talking continuous flow not random flow right? Like flow only in one direction? What corals did you see the color change in?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the boundary layer be thicker on corals in higher flow?
No, the boundary layer thins as water velocity increases. The boundary layer thickness is inversely proportional to water velocity.

Biggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? How long did it take the coral to become different in color and you are talking continuous flow not random flow right? Like flow only in one direction? What corals did you see the color change in?

I have two acros that i keep multiple colonies of in the reef because i like them a lot. In both cases i have a colony in flow they like and another of each that were stressed by flow in the location i put them. I will make a top down video quickly to show you what the green pigment areas due to stress look like. The lighting, PAR etc is the same in all locations where the same pieces display different pigment distribution/ratio.

This is one of the acros when it was still 5mtrs under water on the GBR.

5.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Andrew I can defiantly tell there is a difference in the two red corals. Your acros are looking like they are doing better now that you cleaned them, thanks for sharing the video.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a milli frag that I bought from an online retailer, dont remember which one, but it was a dark green and was even sold as a hulk green milli. I had it lower in the tank for quite some time and it stayed green. When I set up my new tank I installed it up quite a bit higher in the rock work and now it is a pink milli. My main lighting is led with t-5 supplements. Not sure if the increase in par changed its color or maybe being under a different colored led. It is getting alot more flow then ever before.
Jeff

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our SCOP came from a locals display tank that is illuminated by Radions (Gen4 Pros) running the AB+ program. When he frags them, they're placed under an eight bulb T5 fixture (I dont recall the individual lights used but they're considerably more "white" than his Radions) over the frag tank. I haven't noticed any color changes from his tank, to the frag tank, to my tank. My lighting is considerably more "white" than most peoples:

Kessils at 50-60% color
Two ATI Blue+, one AquaBlue Special, and one Purple+
250 PAR where the SCOP resides

Outside of alkalinity (I try to keep it around 7 dKh), all the other parameters are what Instant Ocean mixes up at.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two acros that i keep multiple colonies of in the reef because i like them a lot. In both cases i have a colony in flow they like and another of each that were stressed by flow in the location i put them. I will make a top down video quickly to show you what the green pigment areas due to stress look like. The lighting, PAR etc is the same in all locations where the same pieces display different pigment distribution/ratio.

I think you have to be careful about cause/effect. I'm not sure the corals is turning green because of flow but that the flow is striping skin so thin that it could provide the opportunity for green pigments to occupy that area of the coral.

The reason I say this as I've had numerous corals Ive acquired that were bleached and some would pick up green pigments as they recovered creating a marbled look.

I have some acros that are getting hammered with so much flow they bend away from the flow and others that a branch or two get so much concentrated flow that they have dents & pock marks in them and no green in any of these corals.

Back