Redfin fairy wrasse breathing heavy in QT after heater issue

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do treat with some copper at that store (assuming it's not tested often so likely lower levels), so that very well could have been it. I prefer to start copper a couple days after getting the new fish just to reduce stress, but should I have a low dose of copper in the system before adding new fish in the future? My QT isn't anything crazy just a standard 10gal, hob, ph, heater, pvc, air pump when needed, and testing badges and such. I usually only QT one fish at a time just so I can focus on that one animal. I'm the same way, all my additions have gone through ~90 days of treatment(copper, prazi, metro) before they touch my DT.

that's usually why I stick to heaters with good ratings(jager, titanium heaters, etc), but thought this one would be fine... If I had had more aeration in the tank prior to the high temp would that possibly have saved them? Should I make multiple air stones a permanent piece in my QT system running 24/7 to combat any possible low o2 levels to have those bases covered prior?
Sorry - I can't say for sure if this was do to low dissolved oxygen or not - without testing DO there is no way to tell for sure, I'm just suggesting that it could be a cause. If so, then added aeration would be good in the future.

Dissolved oxygen is tough to predict - the saturation level is lower at higher temperatures and in saltwater. Bacteria can consume oxygen and give off carbon dioxide. Aeration breaks the surface tension of the water, driving off carbon dioxide and allowing better oxygen solubility. Sometimes, good circulation alone (like from a powerhead) just doesn't work - oils from foods can increase the surface tension of the water, essentially sealing it from the air like a piece of plastic wrap. That's why, a matter of course, I add aeration to every tank. I should have mentioned though - if you have a protein skimmer on the tank, that would have had the same aeration benefit.

A lot of folks now days shy away from aeration due to the salt spray it produces - that is just a problem that needs to be dealt with though....

Jay

Back