Redo Aquascape in Existing 180 Gallon Tank

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks,

I want to redo the aquascape in my Live 180 Gallon Tank. I have some Live Corals and Some Live Fish (Blue Hippo Tang and 6 line Wrasse). What I want to do is:

1) Create a New Aquascape with some Dry (Reef Saver) Rock that I have.
2) Cure the New Aquascape (Glued/Epoxy) together
3) Remove some of the Existing Live Rock from the Display Tank - At the same time I want to clean up the sand a bit (I do not plan to remove any sand - just Vac/Siphon). I am thinking (to help maintain the bio filtration) of adding some Marine Pure to the sump to compensate for the removal of unwanted pieces of Live Rock.
4) Thinking that perhaps it might be beneficial to add some of that Live Rock to my Sump. Not Sure.

questions:

Is this plan feasible so that I don't lose coral or fish?
Is Curing the New Aquascape best done in warm saltwater? - for How long?

By the way my sump setup is pretty simple:
- 2 Filter Socks
- Protein Skimmer
- Empty Section (Considering putting unwanted Live Rock Here Until Aquascape looks like it can handle the Bio/load
- Filter Sponge
- Return Pump

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look at cycling the new scape in buckets prior to putting it in. That should help with a smooth transition.
Thank You for the Reply - I was actually thinking of putting the Scape Together (Epoxy/Extra Thick Super Glue- BRS) and Cycling in Warm Salt Water with some Prime (Forgot to type it). What is your thought on me putting Active Live Rock from my DT into my Sump?

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You for the Reply - I was actually thinking of putting the Scape Together (Epoxy/Extra Thick Super Glue- BRS) and Cycling in Warm Salt Water with some Prime (Forgot to type it). What is your thought on me putting Active Live Rock from my DT into my Sump?

Putting current liverock into sump is a good thing. the current liverock has lots of microfauna and biodiversity which will helps with the load and help seed the new rocks on the DT.

I did something pretty similar recently, was upgrading to a new tank with new rock and sand. I made the rockscape using superglue and baking soda and filled the gaps with aquaforest stonefix(Scape was posted by BRS on their instagram page). I then made a setup with 3 buckets that linked together and seeded with bacteria. I cycled at 27 degrees and salinity at 1.020 as per Dr tims method. I let it run for 1month and as soon as cycle was done I added lighting and a fish into the bucket and shortly some basic soft corals. 2months after i moved the setup into new tank and moved stock from nano into new tank.. didnt lose any livestock. I did keep some old liverock in the new sump for the microfauna and biodiversirty that it had.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to redo my aquascape as well and found this post helpful. Keep us posted on your progress

OP
OP
Young@Heart

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I have most of my aquascape laid out. There is some work busting rocks (aka taking out frustrations) and building an arch the following weekend - so it will be 2 weeks before I can soak my aquascape - lack of planning and getting all needed materials. About how long should I let it set in the warm saltwater (Reef Saver Rock (Dry) and previously used (DRY Live Rock).

Back