OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome, I'm running two XR30s but might add a XR15 to the middle in the future.

I'm going to be ordering one of those ClearView lids that you got. They look really well built!

Congrats on the new tank!
I really like it. I used the Red-Sea ones and tried to build myself and it was OK. This just looks so much better. Need wide arms though to take it on and off!!! LOL!

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was delivered and is in the garage. For me, compared to my tall 70 gallon tank this thing is HUGE. At 160 Gallons it is big and super heavy. Came packaged in a wood crate. I opened it and got all the individual parts out somehow (that was no easy task). I had one of the pieces damaged and contacted Red-Sea. They agreed to send me a replacement piece. It sort of looks like a kit of Ikea furniture as far as the parts go (not in a bad way). Plumbing will be no joke and I have ordered what feels like miles of pipe and various connectors. Here is the tank in my garage. More to come soon.

IMG_9208.jpeg

Here is the damaged wall. Red-Sea agreed to replace it free of charge. It's frustrating to have to wait but will be fine.

IMG_9200 2.jpeg

I also ordered a few sets of these just for installation with my brother and teenage son. I am highly skeptical that this will work but others swear by it. The tank is so heavy and bulky. Will let you know how it goes. Got it off Amazon.

51sjK1Y3qVL._SL1000_.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome, I'm running two XR30s but might add a XR15 to the middle in the future.

I'm going to be ordering one of those ClearView lids that you got. They look really well built!

Congrats on the new tank!
Clearview lids are custom made to your light arrangement up top so if you have 2 lights but are considering a third you need to let them know that so the acrylic is cut properly for your set up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was delivered and is in the garage. For me, compared to my tall 70 gallon tank this thing is HUGE. At 160 Gallons it is big and super heavy. Came packaged in a wood crate. I opened it and got all the individual parts out somehow (that was no easy task). I had one of the pieces damaged and contacted Red-Sea. They agreed to send me a replacement piece. It sort of looks like a kit of Ikea furniture as far as the parts go (not in a bad way). Plumbing will be no joke and I have ordered what feels like miles of pipe and various connectors. Here is the tank in my garage. More to come soon.

IMG_9208.jpeg

Here is the damaged wall. Red-Sea agreed to replace it free of charge. It's frustrating to have to wait but will be fine.

IMG_9200 2.jpeg

I also ordered a few sets of these just for installation with my brother and teenage son. I am highly skeptical that this will work but others swear by it. The tank is so heavy and bulky. Will let you know how it goes. Got it off Amazon.

51sjK1Y3qVL._SL1000_.jpg
Well at least it was only the cabinet which is easily replaced. Fans help with moisture and humidity in the cabinet but you end up replacing them 8 months to a year it seems so mount them in an easily accessible location.

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least it was only the cabinet which is easily replaced. Fans help with moisture and humidity in the cabinet but you end up replacing them 8 months to a year it seems so mount them in an easily accessible location.
Wait, as I am putting the cabinet together there is natural gaps in the back I assumed to allow air to escape. I should consider a Fan? Wow! The wires will be a mess to organize down there. Good call though. What do you have and where is it located?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, as I am putting the cabinet together there is natural gaps in the back I assumed to allow air to escape. I should consider a Fan? Wow! The wires will be a mess to organize down there. Good call though. What do you have and where is it located?
I thought those pictures above were small computer fans? Yes half the back of the cabinet is open for wires and access but I still find sump stink sometimes especially the skimmer so I like to keep some airflow down there. Any small desktop fans work just depends on your price point and the style you like. I just have a small one sitting on top of my ATO reservoir in the cabinet. Last one lasted a year. 24 bucks on Amazon.

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming together. Along with my brothers help and those suction cups, we got the beast in place. It is so heavy but the 2 of us and my older son got it in place. I got the light stands sort of in position. It looks so much bigger than my other tank. I will be doing some custom plumbing. The sump is huge. Im trying to figure out how much customization I will have. Now that it is in place and I can't move it I wonder If I should have left more room on the sides and in the back for access. Its too late now as this think is heavy and huge. Oh well. Looking good and I can't wait to start putting it together. Here is the pic!

IMG_9267.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Looks like a great spot for it. Now the real work begins haha.
Ha ha! Yes. It looks good and will be part of the “living room.” I have been trying to connect the sump, my UV, pump, and other items with my miles of pvc pipe and pieces. I keep having to go Home Depot And replace. Who knew I would need to become an expert in plumbing, pvc, and glue to have an aquarium. Lol! It’s coming along though and I will share some pics! Can’t wait to get the rock in there and play with the lighting.

reef_725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to magnet clean the right side glass at all.
I second this which isn't a major deal because of other available tools but what I would consider is if water splashes down the side if the tank, it seems almost impossible to clean the outside if the right pane (assuming your keeping it right where it is). Tank looks great though..

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress is being made. So I got the rocks in sort of from my earlier layout. It is coming together pretty good. I want that contemporary, arched look. I love arches and do want some caves included. It is coming out OK. I am trying to leave space all around the outside of the glass for cleaning etc. Here is my progress thus far. From this:
IMG_9064.jpeg

To This:
IMG_9343 2.jpeg

I need to fiddle with this and put the sand in next. I hope to get it to a point soon that I am content with I have been working on the plumbing which is another task all together. Ill try and post some pics of the plumbing. Thoughts. I think I could use some more rocks cape but to and extent I think less is sometimes more.

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and BTW, got me one of these: Now let the plumbing games begin! I want to have it tucked away somehow but plumbing it will be tricky. Anyone have any ideas? I have studied this a lot and stealing from good examples of where to put it given the Red-Sea plumbing locations.
212473-aquaultraviolet-57w-uvsterilizer-filtration-fr_1.jpg

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely. I put the sand in and settled on my rock work. I had no major leaks and you can see the water is in. I have finalized the layout, got the basic plumbing installed, and put on the now arriving protein skimmer. It is very gratifying to see it starting to come together. I still need to figure out my process to get the UV connected to the plumbing as well as I need to install my other light. Here is the progress. No leaks and looking pretty good.
IMG_9395 2.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the protein skimmer as well as the lid cover. Perfect fit! Lots of work but it is so good to see this thing looking sort of alive. I went with the Bahamas Oooh Lite sandI am happy with that choice and hope it stays together and doesn't dust up or anything. Anyone else with any experience with this protein skimmer?

IMG_9604 2.jpeg
IMG_9403 2.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, the plumbing is done and and a bit confusing for sure. I could not figure out how to plumb to the in the main cabin so I moved it to the left side. Here is the final approach. Before and after. It is working pretty well I think. And yes I know...The wires are a mess. Will get it all organized soon. Here is the plumbing progress. If I never cut another pipe again it will be fine with me!

1. Before:

IMG_9397.jpeg

2. After:
IMG_1258.jpeg

3. Then across to the other side of the under tank and into the UV and out back to the tank.

IMG_9415.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ALIVE!!! Finally have it all up and running. I have a lot of work to still do but the plumbing is all in at this point and the tank has been cycling. New tank syndrome is in full effect. I also am prepping the old fish for transfer to the new tank. There is something gratifying about seeing a new tank finally come to fruition. That will be stressful. There is also a Foxface rabbitfish that is in quarantine. Exciting times. Here are the updates & build process as well as before, development, and after pics:

Before:

IMG_9064.jpeg

IMG_9267.jpeg

Development:
IMG_9347.jpeg

IMG_9348.jpeg

IMG_9354.jpeg

IMG_9395 2.jpeg

And here we are now...
IMG_9426.jpeg

OP
OP
W

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I‘m starting to think of my new fish list. What to add. My current stock is as follows:

-2 Clowns
-1 Royal Gramma Basslet
-1 Female Melanarus wrasse (not changing to male!) :(
-1 Loepard Wrasse
-1 Tailspot Benny (I want to trade him back to LFS)
-1 fox face Rabbitfish (currently in quarantine)

New Stock List
-Peppermint Bass
-1 bimaculatis anthias
-1 bellus angelfish
-1 orange shoulder tang or 1 White tail bristletooth tang
-Red head Salon fairy wrasse

i like color and movement. This is my thoughts over time of course. This is assuming I lose none in the transfer of the fish from old to new tank. Any thoughts or suggestions.

In addition I am thinking about what corals I will bring over. I dont want any pests coming in. I will inspect each coral before transferring over. Suggestions? I will try to move the corals first. Then catch the fish, acclimate from buckets before adding to the tank. I have used some of the old tank water to add to the new tank so it should cycle quickly. Any tips from experts out there? In the words of my young sons….Leeeeets goooooo!

Back