Redsea AB+ Reef energy vs Reef roids

teethdoctor23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what people are using. I was gifted reef roids by a friend but have heard great things about reef energy, which I recently purchased. Can I/Should I use both? What would a good dosing schedule for both be if so?

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mainly broadcast feed and used both.

usually just use one or the other but not both at the same time.

though I doubt there would be any issues with that.

I do one or the other every couple of days. But everyone’s got a different successful schedule!

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what size tank you have or what your livestock load is? Personally I stopped using both do to the fact that they feed undesirable algaes and bacteria just as well as if not better than the coral. If you decide to use either keep a close eye on your parameters they both can through a system out of wack quick.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very different kinds of foods. Reef roids is best for target feeding and for corals that will capture most of what you give them. I'd recommend reef roids for lps and mushroom corals. Reef energy is dissolved and the corals simply take it up through their soft tissue. I like reef energy for corals that have extremely small polyps (I use it for all of my corals) such as sps and most softies. You can mix them together if you'd like. Reef energy should contain a lot less phosphate, and can be dosed in much higher quantities (especially in tanks with high nitrogen demand). When feeding reef roids, a small amount goes a long way. Its a good idea to feed reef roids before you clean out your filter pads/socks so you can take out what gets removed by the filter before it breaks down.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef energy and it's true you have to watch how much you dose. If you got a dirty tank, I read you probably shouldn't dose it. It took me a bit before I got it right.

At the moment I dose Reef Energy daily and to help with the break down of it, it also dose NOPOX which feeds the bacteria that'll break down the extra not consumed by the corals. I also don't turn off my skimmer.

That's just my experience, I'm no expert just wanted to give my two cents and hope it helps.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back