Redsea REEF LEDs vs. Radion XR15/30

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Reefer 350 and I want to have a mixed reef with some sticks growing at the top of the tank. I’ve been to at it for a while wether I should get some Radion XR15’s or 30’s, but now I’m curious on RedSea‘s REEF LED 90’s. My question is would 3 REEF LED 90’s perform just as well or maybe better than Radion XR15’s? The REEF LED’s are much more affordable and I’ve seen plenty of people, including @Lost in the Sauce, have very good success with them, from LPS to SPS. Don’t think they would work for a SPS dominated system, but that’s another question I have. Would the spread be enough using 3 90’s on a 4 foot tank? Would there be enough PAR for corals on the lower levels of the tank? I’m only asking in regards to the 90’s because if I were to get 160’s IMO Radion XR15’s are more worth it. What do you guys think and your experience(s)? Pics are always welcomed!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally didn’t like the Red Sea LEDs as they have a very heavy shimmer. Too point source for me. I’ve also been burned by one too many Red Sea products to have any faith in them at this point.

3 XR15s would rock that tank. You could easily start with 2 early on and add a third. But then you’re almost to 2 Neptune Sky fixtures and that would be absolutely primo IMO. Even overkill but great for an upgrade later if wanted.

FreshSaltH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 xr15 pro g5 on my 200 and I really like them. I can’t comment on the quality of the other.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 625 xxl with just 2 xr15s. I just switched them out for reef breeders. Now I'm seeing colors I've never seen before in my coral. Had decent growth but absolutely hated Mobius. I'll be selling the radions. As above you could easily get by with two. I've seen the RS lights and I like them better than the radions. The radions will blind you even if you use the diffusers. That's something to consider if your tank is in a room you spend alot of time in. Alot of light bleed into the room. I went with reef breeders because I already had one light I was using on a frag tank and the ease of programming. Now I can sit in the same room without being hit with a blinding light.

IMG_20221009_142656423_MP.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had success with the RS Lights. I run them as primary's over my main reef and anenome system. That's said, I also supplement for filler light because they do shadow.

I just put 4 90's over an 8' tank.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 625 xxl with just 2 xr15s. I just switched them out for reef breeders. Now I'm seeing colors I've never seen before in my coral. Had decent growth but absolutely hated Mobius. I'll be selling the radions. As above you could easily get by with two. I've seen the RS lights and I like them better than the radions. The radions will blind you even if you use the diffusers. That's something to consider if your tank is in a room you spend alot of time in. Alot of light bleed into the room. I went with reef breeders because I already had one light I was using on a frag tank and the ease of programming. Now I can sit in the same room without being hit with a blinding light.

IMG_20221009_142656423_MP.jpg
It’s in a room we spend time in or at least I do but no the whole time like the kitchen or loft. You said you switched your Radions for Reef Breeders. Do you find the Reef Breeders a little bulky?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally didn’t like the Red Sea LEDs as they have a very heavy shimmer.
You think I should add a diffuser? Was the shimmer the only thing that you weren’t happy about? Good performance but the shimmer was just too much?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in a room we spend time in or at least I do but no the whole time like the kitchen or loft. You said you switched your Radions for Reef Breeders. Do you find the Reef Breeders a little bulky?
Not bulky at all. I don't use the legs though. I use the back of the tank mounts and they look sleek. I will also add the radion mounts aren't very good. Both of mine are cracked at the base where they sit on the tank. My tank is 3/4 glass and no matter how tight you think you have them they will eventually start to lean forward and slip. I tried shimming and Industrial Velcro nothing corrected the problem. This issue is pretty well documented with those mounts. Not trashing radions as they are good lights. But all the little things for what they cost is ridiculous. I have a 4ft. IM SR80 that I run 3 maxspect jumps on in addition to the reefer and those lights for the cost are overall better than the radions because all the little things aren't an issue with even those at half the price. The app works perfect for me as compared to always uninstalling and reinstalling Mobius just to get my lights to connect. It took 3 days for the radions to sync back up after the recent time change.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used to T5 style and Kessil pucks style. Not a fan of shimmer and prefer the flat look of T5s. Just took advantage of the holiday sale and ordered an XR15 to replace my Kessil. End of day. Much of it comes down to user preference and for that another can explain the differences but not decide.

For my upcoming main build likely going ATI Straton because T5 look best suits my style of viewing. Neptune Sky and Coral Care 2 they mimic another option in that respect as are AI Hydros if affordable pucks the shimmer being sought although all have different reflectors and spread needing different mounting heights and that's another consideration needed to review.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had both. xr15s are very nice lights. lots of control. very good output. and i like that you could change out the lenses. i currently run an RL90 paired with aquatic life t5s. the RL90 was a pain at first as it would always lost connection. but after an update that has fixed the issue and it has been smooth sailing since then. i prefer the RL90 over the xr15 because i really like the blue spectrum and 90% of the light is dedicated to the blue spectrum. xr15 has more watts in the white spectrum that i just wont use. also the red sea only has 2 channels. blue (mix of blues and violets) and white (no reds or greens). i think that alot of these leds have way too much control and people tinker too much with them. the rl90 i just have a ramp up and ramp down time and thats it. its simple and i think my tank has responded well to the simplicity of the RL90/t5s. RL90 is also a dense matrix led so it has less hot spots and more even par distribution.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23C1F581-C89C-4761-A9CC-87F6FE0BDD72.jpeg
9105FB66-AD06-424F-9848-2A8027DCBD79.jpeg
This was my 65 gallon with 3 AI primes over it. The tank was 25 inches tall. I’m showing you this because the tank you have originally came with AIs before they switched over to the 50s and 90s. In other words, two 90s would work fine for a mixed tank and it really comes down to what you visually prefer. The best way to figure out the look you prefer unfortunately is to find various lfs using the lights you want to really make up your mind. Pictures do not translate the true visual experience of the lights. Personally I prefer the hybrid approach. For all the benefits of "spread and coverage”, the tanks I’ve seen with straight T5s, the new radions, and Neptunes and the like, look flat and lifeless in the sense that your coral looks artificial. I need a shimmering tank, and the 90s I’ve seen look breathtaking in the setups that used them, and since they made those specifically to replace the AIs they had over them you know it’s going to look organized to the whole Red Sea setup.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The radions are better lights in general, but the reef led is more budget friendly and has more shimmer.

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi Uno 1 or 2 are vastly superior to Red Sea or xr15. More on par with xr30 but higher build quality and price. Built similar to Orpheks quality wise.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had both. xr15s are very nice lights. lots of control. very good output. and i like that you could change out the lenses. i currently run an RL90 paired with aquatic life t5s. the RL90 was a pain at first as it would always lost connection. but after an update that has fixed the issue and it has been smooth sailing since then. i prefer the RL90 over the xr15 because i really like the blue spectrum and 90% of the light is dedicated to the blue spectrum. xr15 has more watts in the white spectrum that i just wont use. also the red sea only has 2 channels. blue (mix of blues and violets) and white (no reds or greens). i think that alot of these leds have way too much control and people tinker too much with them. the rl90 i just have a ramp up and ramp down time and thats it. its simple and i think my tank has responded well to the simplicity of the RL90/t5s. RL90 is also a dense matrix led so it has less hot spots and more even par distribution.
Got any pics to prove :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Thx for the statement I really appreciate it:)

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23C1F581-C89C-4761-A9CC-87F6FE0BDD72.jpeg
9105FB66-AD06-424F-9848-2A8027DCBD79.jpeg
This was my 65 gallon with 3 AI primes over it. The tank was 25 inches tall. I’m showing you this because the tank you have originally came with AIs before they switched over to the 50s and 90s. In other words, two 90s would work fine for a mixed tank and it really comes down to what you visually prefer. The best way to figure out the look you prefer unfortunately is to find various lfs using the lights you want to really make up your mind. Pictures do not translate the true visual experience of the lights. Personally I prefer the hybrid approach. For all the benefits of "spread and coverage”, the tanks I’ve seen with straight T5s, the new radions, and Neptunes and the like, look flat and lifeless in the sense that your coral looks artificial. I need a shimmering tank, and the 90s I’ve seen look breathtaking in the setups that used them, and since they made those specifically to replace the AIs they had over them you know it’s going to look organized to the whole Red Sea setup.
NO WAY that is AI Prime lighting that looks
AMAZING!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back