RedSea Reefer 425XL / SPS Corals

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefer Friends!

I would like to show my tank I was building over the last 1.5 years. The theme of this tank was in the beginning to be heavily SPS dominated with Montipora corals. I did bought a redsea425XL after already owning a RS250 and the Max Nano.

8269104E-AB25-4CA4-A4BC-504E4BA92C4F.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0554.jpeg

I just love the simplicity and design from RedSea and its ecosystem. So I went ahead and also got the Reefled 160s (running 100%white 100%blue) and the reef wave 45 (running random 100%) together with a Vector M2 (running 45%). Caribs Reef Grade live sand and CaribSea Reef Tree Live Rock kit (3pcs) - However I did remove 1 Life Tree kit after a while since it was just to much rock, when the coral started to take off.

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_1214.jpeg

For filtration I do use a Reefer Skimmer RSK-600 and a Clarissa Gen2 Filterroller (want to exchange that in the future with the RedSea Filter roller). I do use Redsea Reef Spec Carbon. The water itself is RedSea blue bucket salt (8dkh) and exclusively the only thing I dose in the tank is Tropic Marine All-For-Reef. I did in the past on other tanks use a lot of different products, but the All-For-Reef works so great for me I would not try anything else for now.

IMG_0300.jpeg

At one point I wanted to move the tank from the hall way to the "fish room". Since I made so much work on the tank all the time it was just not very practical to have to do all that in the hallway. I use now a room in our house completely dedicated to the aquarium hobby (which is awesome). I had to take everything out of the tank to move it into the new room. I took all corals and rock out into buckets and drained all the tank water. Only the sand I left inside.

I bought sliders for under the tank and was "sliding" the tank into the new room.

IMG_1295.jpeg

I took a LOT of time to make sure again everything is absolutely level before I started to add the rocks and corals back into the tank. At this point I decided to slightly alter the rock work and make again 2 islands, one on the left and one on the right side.

IMG_1298.jpeg

I was actually hoping that the Coraline algae on the back survives the tank move, but it was too long exposed to the air. So at one point I scrapped it all off. It looks now better than ever. A very nice clean look.

B05575E8-4A42-45BB-8AD1-134A3A8081AB.jpeg

36B28CA5-FA2E-4C0C-822F-C743A23C3E4F.jpeg

D2571AEC-6D12-46DF-9846-9B0CA4C07558.jpeg

Aquarium: RedSea Reefer 425XL
Light: ReefLed 160s (80%blue / 90%white)
Flow: Reefwave 45 (100% random)
Salt: RedSea Salt (blue bucket 8DKH)
Rock: Caribsea Coral Tree kit
Sand: Caribsea Reef-Grade sand
Skimmer: RedSea RSK-600 (24 hours)
Filterroller: Clarisea Gen 2
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra M2
Heater: EHEIM 300W Jaegger
Dosing additive: All-For-Reef Tropic Marine (100ml per day in 24 increments)
Controller: Neptune Systems Apex
UV sterilizer: Pentair 25Watt (24hours)
Fish Food: Reef Nutrition TDO Chroma Boost (3 times daily)
Coral Food: Reef Roids / Polyp Labs (weekly)
Algae Management: Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-e (when needed)

DSC00683.jpeg

OP
OP
Swiss Frag Reefer

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your sand so clean? It’s so white. I don’t know if it’s the camera filter or something but I’ve never seen a tank in person with sand that white. Looks brand new.
High flow and just not very deep. I actually never even vaccum it. If you soom in you see some diry spots. Especially behing the rock I also have some tiny cyano spots.

OP
OP
Swiss Frag Reefer

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your sand so clean? It’s so white. I don’t know if it’s the camera filter or something but I’ve never seen a tank in person with sand that white. Looks brand new.
And yes the post production color graduation helps the sand to look more white. The camera actually has no filter at all. I set the white balance to about 6-7k Kelvin.

OP
OP
Swiss Frag Reefer

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large January update for you my Reefer friends. Feel free to reach out in case you have any questions!

OP
OP
Swiss Frag Reefer

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually still thinking about adding a T5 hybrid... on the other side I just love the dramatic shimmer. What would you guys recommend?

OP
OP
Swiss Frag Reefer

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about adding some gorgonian to my tank. Does anybody keep them in high light intensity SPS tanks? From what I was reading they like light and strong flow as well.. anybody has some experience?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back