RedSea ReefMat Giveaway: WIN a ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter or a ReefMat 500!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I haven't stopped researching. I hope I qualify for the big one. 120 DT with 30 sump plus I'm going to have a 15g exile tank that I'll want to tie into the sump.
I may need to get an old 40breeder and find an old tank to cutup for baffles to redo my sump to accommodate. Hmm may also need to rethink my plumbing; 3 drains into one drain opening.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry:

Sleek design, easy to change a roll, solid state water sensors(we all know float valves fail quite often), and can be used in virtually any sump with enough room.
Except their own, I hear?

I just got my ReefMat500; it appears I need to modify my 250 V3 sump. Go figure.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just got my ReefMat500; it appears I need to modify my 250 V3 sump. Go figure.

@blaxsun posted a thread in the RedSea forum and has a blurb in his build thread as well about the parts needed for a non G2 RedSea tank.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not really. Look at the Red Sea Hardware FAQ for the ReefMat. There are two options and only one requires you to cut the silicone and remove glass. There is no advantage to doing this as the flexible tubing can be threaded through an empty Sock Drawer using the other option. If you had the Reservoir above the Sock Drawer and cut out the Silicone so that the ReefMat was in the same place, then you can't have the Reservoir in this location. but, if you use the option to thread the inlet tubing through the Sock Drawer, then you can keep the Reservoir in the same location.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. Look at the Red Sea Hardware FAQ for the ReefMat. There are two options and only one requires you to cut the silicone and remove glass. There is no advantage to doing this as the flexible tubing can be threaded through an empty Sock Drawer using the other option. If you had the Reservoir above the Sock Drawer and cut out the Silicone so that the ReefMat was in the same place, then you can't have the Reservoir in this location. but, if you use the option to thread the inlet tubing through the Sock Drawer, then you can keep the Reservoir in the same location.
I call BS. Perhaps a few might want to use the supplied ATO; however, I'm putting money on most here do not.

reefer250.JPG

If I've invested in all or most of Red Sea stuff, why penalize those who are using your gear?

Hey, CTO@NeilMarks, I'm not too fond of socks; make those not using them from Red Sea do the cutting. Perhaps this deserves a new sump and should be included for the loyalty.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like that's the plan, Sam. :D Watch Neil professionally inform us how we will need to modify the sump with their special kit.

oh my gosh those thin blades in that kit make it a breeze. I wish I had those in my tank tear-down days. I really like their all glass sumps.
Wish I had a Red Sea tank to modify for the roller mat!

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my gosh those thin blades in that kit make it a breeze. I wish I had those in my tank tear-down days. I really like their all glass sumps.
Wish I had a Red Sea tank to modify for the roller mat!
The ReefMat is very good (so for me worth it). Cutting the Silicone is a one way street - once it is done you have to stay with the ReefMat - but I can't see anyone who has used one would want to go back to Socks? At least with the two options you can either cut (or not). If you sold the Tank, it would have to be with the ReefMat as the option of the Socks has gone.

On the smaller Tanks, space is at an even greater premium so I'm not sure I would opt to keep the Reservoir, but the two options do show how either the Sump can be modified (or not) - just ignore the picture of the Reservoir and you get the idea?

I have the 625 G2 which has the same size and layout of the R3 Sump fitted to earlier Tanks - the same layout and position of the ReefMat can be used. The Sump is much longer so of course I can have the Skimmer at the back on the LHS and the ReefMat at the front on the RHS. I did put the Reservoir in the middle and whilst it does work and there is room, it has two main disadvantages:

Access to the Skimmer for maintenance is possible but a bit compromised and there is still a need to add water to the Reservoir - I pump it. So I'm switching over to my Tunze ATO that I have and for this I have just bought another 25 litre container so that I can simply switch to a fresh container - so no need to pump into the Reservoir.

Access around (underneath) the ReefMat is also a bit more contrived - I put some Carbon in a bag in the black Chamber that slides underneath - when things get too crowded then that's not possible.

A third disadvantage of using the Reservoir is it prevents adding other equipment - I have a UV Steraliser that I will be adding that will be above the Sump and not in the Cabinet next door. For me that works because the pipework is all above the Sump - safer option because there is no pipework outside of the Sump area.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back