RedSea Reffer 525XL plumbing... how much flow can it handle?

kmcgillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've having trouble finding an answer to this question... I'm want to run the Triton Method on my RSR 525XL, but the plumbing doesn't seem to be able to handle the 10x display volume turnover as recommended for Triton. Does anybody know what the actual maximum recommended flow for the RedSea Reefer 525XL? I'm able to get it up to about 600 GPH (as measured by my Apex flow meter), before things start to get out of whack. Any higher and I can't silence the drains. Once I get up to about 800 GPH, the return plumbing starts making noises (sort of a high pitch hum, and sounds like air is trapped at the return nozzle.)

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" plumbing for drains will take about 600 GPH, usually less if you need it to be noise-free....nothing about the brand of tank would change that. ;)

You bought the Red Sea tank kit, why not run the Red Sea Method?

OP
OP
K

kmcgillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" plumbing for drains will take about 600 GPH, usually less if you need it to be noise-free....nothing about the brand of tank would change that. ;)

You bought the Red Sea tank kit, why not run the Red Sea Method?

You mean if I stick another label over the "RedSea" logo, it won't magically increase the amount of flow I can put into this thing??? ;Playful

I like the idea of no water changes unless indicated. And as far as I know, RedSea recommends weekly water changes with their system.

OP
OP
K

kmcgillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching. I just purchased this tank, and also want to run a Triton system.

Tank build thread forthcoming...

So far I would say that you're not likely going to be able to run your return pump at 10x display tank volume. (Unfortunately found this out after spending several thousand dollars on my set up...) I've got a thread open with Triton to see if they have any suggestions on what I can do to offset this problem.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" siphon is capable of more than 600 gph flow, not familiar with red sea plumbing any chance of modifing closer to bean

OP
OP
K

kmcgillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" siphon is capable of more than 600 gph flow, not familiar with red sea plumbing any chance of modifing closer to bean

Not able to "bean it"... not enough room in the overflow to drill another hole. Basically, the Reefer has a 1" main drain and 1" emergency. They provide a baffle tube that goes over top of the main drain to prevent clogging. I've plumbed everything to my basement... is it possible that my main drain siphon is TOO good? Could it be fluctuating larger amounts of water occasionally, leading to the "whirlpool" effect where it starts to suck air down the drain? I'm considering modifying the main drain by cutting off an inch or so from the top, lowering it below the surface of the water a little further to prevent the whirlpool.

Any thoughts?

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main siphon can be flush in overflow (open bulkhead), sounds lik you can lo er or remove drain pipe or slo drain down with gate valve

mazzdaq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not able to "bean it"... not enough room in the overflow to drill another hole. Basically, the Reefer has a 1" main drain and 1" emergency. They provide a baffle tube that goes over top of the main drain to prevent clogging. I've plumbed everything to my basement... is it possible that my main drain siphon is TOO good? Could it be fluctuating larger amounts of water occasionally, leading to the "whirlpool" effect where it starts to suck air down the drain? I'm considering modifying the main drain by cutting off an inch or so from the top, lowering it below the surface of the water a little further to prevent the whirlpool.

Any thoughts?
Hello kmcgillz, I'm in the process of setting up my Red Sea Reefer 525xl and I'm also plumbing mine to my basement. Do you have any pictures of how you plumbed yours? Did you use the supplied plumbing or did you modify and just go straight down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back