Reduce Likelihood of Tank Crash Due To GFCI Trips

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bombertech for this tip.

Most of us use GFCIs.

The work, they save lives, they are a good thing.

However, when 10 things are plugged into your tank, and component goes bad, your entire tank shuts down when the GFCI trips.

It is not necessary for everything to shut down nor ideal.

A simple fix is to move the GFCIs from the typical configuration:

• GFCI->PowerStrip->Equipment
To the (more expensive) but reliable configuration:
  • Powerstrip->(for each outlet one GFCI->Equipment)
Here is an example of that configuration using 12 dollar GFCIs and electrical boxes from home depot:

8a359f533bf77ba4e5149992ef589549.jpg

As a really cool bonus, it is possible to have the controller detect trips. with a relay wired into each GFCI. It is hard to see, but these outlets are all equipped with relays

94224312c4e694cc7ced7a36ae68f793.jpg

Note the mono jacks hooked to relays.

Also, pointing a webcam at the wiring closet can give a visual if you suspect a trip but don't have the relays.

Well there it is, overkill?

socent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not overkill, brilliant! Would you mind explaining how the DJ box is integrated?

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not overkill, brilliant! Would you mind explaining how the DJ box is integrated?

Thank you socent!, sure no problem.

I have two outlets on the APEX. 'Always on' and 'Delayed Start'. Each one is plugged into a DJ power strip.

Skimmer and UV are on delayed start, it starts two minutes after the return pump.

Always on is a convenient 'extension cord' with switches. Non critical things are plugged in there and they can be toggled on/off manually.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how hard it would be to integrate a relay into them to turn them on/off via arduino?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done! I aspire to have this amount of organization in my next tank build. I'll certain use this layout for reference. Is this all within your aquarium stand or located nearby in a fish room?

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

But... Is it possible for water to get into the GFI box? Part of the protection goes all the way 'into' the wall w/ most GFI outlets, ya? I.e. the GFI outlet is in the wall behind or next to the tank in most of our cases and a splash on that wall, or into the outlet, is thus protected. If one were to keep said outlet a standard outlet instead of a GFI and then use this system down the wire, this would be problematic, ya?

In your case, sounds like you have a remote wiring closet (reading between the lines of your post) and this might not be applicable. Right?

OP
OP
TheClark

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea

Thanks!

Any idea how hard it would be to integrate a relay into them to turn them on/off via arduino?

Yes, it is possible. Google for DC triggered power strip, there are some great tutorials including this one:

DIY: 12V trigger outlet to automatically power on/off devices | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

I used it to build a poor mans ATO controller for my son's tank.

Nicely done! I aspire to have this amount of organization in my next tank build. I'll certain use this layout for reference. Is this all within your aquarium stand or located nearby in a fish room?

Appreciate it, if only all the system was this organized. Well, one step at a time!

It is in a wall cabinet next to the tank, higher than the sump and about half way up the tank. Plan on adding cabinet doors too or perhaps a glass door for extra splash protection. Honestly though it is in a really good spot compared to my last tank where everything was under the stand.

Nice!

But... Is it possible for water to get into the GFI box? Part of the protection goes all the way 'into' the wall w/ most GFI outlets, ya? I.e. the GFI outlet is in the wall behind or next to the tank in most of our cases and a splash on that wall, or into the outlet, is thus protected. If one were to keep said outlet a standard outlet instead of a GFI and then use this system down the wire, this would be problematic, ya?

In your case, sounds like you have a remote wiring closet (reading between the lines of your post) and this might not be applicable. Right?

Yes, you got it, a semi remote wiring closet, just a little ways from the tank, not under the tank. They are mounted in a remodel plastic 4 gang deep box. They have no sheet rock protecting them, just the remote cabinet. For an under tank install there are better boxes available at home depot, particularly the outdoor rated ones.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back