Reef 911: Tank Emergencies and Who Do You Call?

Where do you go in case of a real reef tank emergency?

• Me, myself and I

Votes: 315 42.6%
  • Local Friend

Votes: 79 10.7%
  • Reef2Reef

Votes: 290 39.2%
  • Other

Votes: 56 7.6%

• Total voters

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go directly to R2R with a panic post!!! While waiting fir replies, Then I call my LFS and ask their advice... then quickly do the opposite of what they say! It's worked well so far...

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest emergency I’ve had is ether a power outage or parasites at home, for both I used my own knowledge some internet and my boss (I work at a LFS as a casual)
Biggest emergency I’ve been part of is a display tank at work breaking that had some expensive stuff in it. The leak was about 2x2cm 2 thirds up the tank in the middle of business hours

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worse tank issue I had was seam failure on a 65 gallon while I was at work. Came home to a half full tank and water all over my basement floor. Swapped it all onto a 75 gallon in about 2 hours. Fastest tank setup I ever did and that included going to get the tank and stand. Used a floor squeegee, shop vac and fans to clean up the water. Girlfriend didn't even notice the new tank till she was home for several hours, lol. Then I told her what had happened. Tackled it all myself.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There will always be problems and issues when maintaining a living, breathing coral reef in your house but sometimes they can be disastrous if you don't get quick help! So let's talk about that today with a couple of questions for you.

1. Who do call, where do you go when you have a true tank emergency?

2. What's the biggest tank emergency you've ever had?

1. The LFS where I now buy all of my 'stuff' or here....:)
2. When my apex stopped working 8 hours after leaving for a 2 week vacation - and the house sitter called and said - is the tank supposed to be cold? Thinking the heater was out - I had her go buy a new one - when she casually mentioned - oh - there is no water flowing either....

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waking up to the sound of gushing water 26g tank almost empty. The glass just cracked vertically on one of the sides. Moved fish to bucket with heater etc. Then had to wait for any store to open to start calling around for another tank. Found one an hour away, drove to get in my Miata. 2 employees managed to fit the box into the front seat, of course I had to drive with the top down.. Reset up but lost everything with in the next few days. The 1st tank was only 6 months old!
Did it all myself, all 5 ft of little old me..
Glad I found R2R for those not quite as desperate emergencies.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things I consider a tank emergency usually involve equipment failure of some kind. Nobody is going to help me with that.

My biggest emergency was a cracked 29 gallon tank. Funny story behind that, but it didn't leak. I hurried up and put the fish into other tanks and emptied it out. As I was getting the fish out I kept expecting the water to just come pouring out lol.

Same here...I cracked my 25 gallon wall tank. I quickly grabbed a bucket and duct tape. I was able to slow the leak and transfer stuff into a middle tank and sump.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a awesome owner at our LFS and a few reefers that pretty much know everything ,, when it comes to tech stuff ,, like Apex ,, stuff like that ,, we have a few reefers that stay on top of this type stuff ,, my area has a pretty good bunch of people ,, will help at the drop of a hat ,, I am sure this is like most other areas in the hobby though ,,

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other because depending upon the severity, dictates where I'll look for answers. Sometimes it's something I've dealt with in the past, usually post up on my local club forum, call a friend to bounce ideas off of and usually always look on here as there is such a wealth of knowledge in this community. Thanks.

VA5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually ran into an issue today. I use Red Sea testing kit but just purchased Hanna dKH and Ca. Got very different results from Red Sea on both tests. Anyone have similar issue?

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of a call goes out to a good friend of mine who has been keeping reefs since the early 90 s.He is like the local expert when it comes to reefs.Then a post on R2R for advice.Biggest emergency was my tank being wiped out by pesticide used by a careless neighbor.Rebuild my tank since then no problems just small normally sorted out by help from R2R.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted R2R, but I guess most of my minor emergencies have been fairly simple and I was able to take care of them myself. For everything else, I come here. There is no real LFS or reef club close and I don't personally know any other reefers. You folks are my lifeline. If there are any other reefers close to Mexico Mo, I'd sure like to meet ya.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted R2R, but I guess most of my minor emergencies have been fairly simple and I was able to take care of them myself. For everything else, I come here. There is no real LFS or reef club close and I don't personally know any other reefers. You folks are my lifeline. If there are any other reefers close to Mexico Mo, I'd sure like to meet ya.
Wow... You guys host the Miss Missouri Pageant .... What None Of Them Reef?.... Just askin

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... You guys host the Miss Missouri Pageant .... What None Of Them Reef?.... Just askin

How could you possibly know that!? You must be a fountain of useless information. And to answer your question, I've never met any of them. My wife would kill me.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come here some Wicked Smart people in here that care about the my success and the hobby. You can't buy the kind of experience all in one spot... Great Service this forum provides..

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back