!!!REEF 911 with Adam at Battlecorals!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello guys,

Its me again, today I noticed a weird smell coming from my tank. Upon inspection I noticed my Miyagi tort colony bleached right in the middle of the colony, with chunks of skin holding to dear life. Yesterday everything was ok. When I pulled the colony out of the tank, the coral smelled really bad. Any idea if this will affect the rest of the tank? I put some carbon in, just in case. I verified the Apex and there was no swings. I have no sand, no issues with any other corals for now.

Alk. 8.0
Nitrate 12
Phos 0.03
Cal 430
Sal 1.026
Ph is always low 7.8 - 8.0
Temp 78-79
Hi there,

hey really sorry for the lag on this one I totally missed us but generally I would say no, that when one acro is crashing its more than likely not going spread all the rest of your Acro's. as in something contagious, at least in my case which is fortunate. Otherwise id have been belly up years ago. lol but that doesn't mean whatever else is causing it to crash, wont cause others to do the same. I generally don't feel that the actual necrosis is not contagious in that regard. and sometimes acros just crash for reasons we may never be aware of. ( also no stranger this phenomenon)

but I am curious to know how long the colony had been in there, and since it took me this long to respond ( sorry) if anything else is/has gone downhill it at this point? otherwise params look good

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Group Hug Support GIF by Searchlight Pictures
Hilarious! Thanks a bazillion!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi sorry for not clarifying it is a captive raised acro.
Hi there,

thanks for.clarifying. OK well in this case or in any instance of maybe one single frag struggling while everything else is generally doing well, I just call a fluke and try not to get too stressed out about it. I know it doesn't help much but sometimes you just can't make them all happy all the time. if we start chasing things to make one lone coral happy we run the risk of messing things up for the ones that are doing well. it's a tough line to walk and can definitely make someone feel helpless but keeping multiple sps long term, is a massive balancing act in this regard. how would you say the rest of the tank is looking at this point?

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there. sorry for the lag. I swear my intentions are to get to each and every one of these I promise.

so this definitely seems like a chemistry issue of some sort. but I can feel your frustration in that we have no blaring red flags here. but that is the very purpose of this thread. so let's see if we can't start somewhere. the fact that lps are struggling is an indication that something more elusive is way off or contaminated to some degree.

would you say that from the moment they go in they are in decline? there is really no period where they seem to be doing ok even? and how long is the longest you've beeen able to keep tissue on any particular piece?
No worries.

so initially when I was putting in the SPS they would look great for a week or so then gradually decline. Great polyp extension and just slowly loose tissue. I have actually had a monti cap and a monti spongodes colony that I have had a few years and they are still kicking.

I took the advice of Big E and removed my filter roller and discontinued all dosing. My tank seemingly did a 180 over the course of a few weeks. I almost lost the cap and the spongodes was losing tissue at the tips. Not only did they get their color back they are regrowing tissue back over the dead parts. New test pieces are also doing well.

could the filter roller really have been the problem this whole time? I also started dosing zeobak and iodine about a month ago so I’m not sure if that helped. Very weird situation

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No worries.

so initially when I was putting in the SPS they would look great for a week or so then gradually decline. Great polyp extension and just slowly loose tissue. I have actually had a monti cap and a monti spongodes colony that I have had a few years and they are still kicking.

I took the advice of Big E and removed my filter roller and discontinued all dosing. My tank seemingly did a 180 over the course of a few weeks. I almost lost the cap and the spongodes was losing tissue at the tips. Not only did they get their color back they are regrowing tissue back over the dead parts. New test pieces are also doing well.

could the filter roller really have been the problem this whole time? I also started dosing zeobak and iodine about a month ago so I’m not sure if that helped. Very weird situation
ill confess I am always suspicious of additives. I once had myself convinced that my frequent iodine dosing were causing me massive issues. still not sure about that one. lol. but Big E's advice was spot on if you ask me. Shed any and all seemingly unnecessary things when troubleshooting for sure. and get back to basics. I am also a little suspicious of filter rolls. this is the one and only thing that goes in a tank that does not get fully rinsed and washed before hand. I have not seen where these are made, but I would be surprised if it's a sterile lab type environment. lol. any insights into this would be greatly appreciated in fact.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill confess I am always suspicious of additives. I once had myself convinced that my frequent iodine dosing were causing me massive issues. still not sure about that one. lol. but Big E's advice was spot on if you ask me. Shed any and all seemingly unnecessary things when troubleshooting for sure. and get back to basics. I am also a little suspicious of filter rolls. this is the one and only thing that goes in a tank that does not get fully rinsed and washed before hand. I have not seen where these are made, but I would be surprised if it's a sterile lab type environment. lol. any insights into this would be greatly appreciated in fact.
Do you dose anything?
I’ve really been struggling with colors. All my colors shifted to some shade of green. Brighter Yellows became greenish yellow, rainbows becoming greenish brown. And pinks/blues are just sort of pale. Any thoughts on how to diagnose? I’m running 4 year T5s so idk if that’s contributing, seems like colors on t5 is hard to get.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you dose anything?
I’ve really been struggling with colors. All my colors shifted to some shade of green. Brighter Yellows became greenish yellow, rainbows becoming greenish brown. And pinks/blues are just sort of pale. Any thoughts on how to diagnose? I’m running 4 year T5s so idk if that’s contributing, seems like colors on t5 is hard to get.
I think I am a little behind the curve on this one. actually but. for the most part no, in my main. the backup is a little different in that I have a very low fish load in there and do add nitrate on occasion.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am a little behind the curve on this one. actually but. for the most part no, in my main. the backup is a little different in that I have a very low fish load in there and do add nitrate on occasion.
Any thoughts on what I should be looking for to solve the issue with everything turning green?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on what I should be looking for to solve the issue with everything turning green?
I don't think it's spectrum as much as intensity when you get green... To be clear, is it GFP or just green shading?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think it's spectrum as much as intensity when you get green... To be clear, is it GFP or just green shading?
yep I agree. usually that "transitional" green is more lighting and or nutrients for sure. although bluer led can visually make an OK green look impressively yellow regardless of the actual pigment coloration.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep I agree. usually that "transitional" green is more lighting and or nutrients for sure. although bluer led can visually make an OK green look impressively yellow regardless of the actual pigment coloration.
More light is probably the issue though T5 can’t really provide much more power. I’m using a 6 bulb ATI over a 20” wide tank. Is it actually possible to get decent colors on T5? Does extended photo period help or is intensity the only thing that affects cops?

it’s it even possible to get good coloring under T5? Or does it always shift green due to lower intensity? A lot of photos lie about color so it’s hard for me to judge what’s normal, but I do think they were all more yellow when I got them from you 2-3 years ago

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
More light is probably the issue though T5 can’t really provide much more power. I’m using a 6 bulb ATI over a 20” wide tank. Is it actually possible to get decent colors on T5? Does extended photo period help or is intensity the only thing that affects cops?

it’s it even possible to get good coloring under T5? Or does it always shift green due to lower intensity? A lot of photos lie about color so it’s hard for me to judge what’s normal, but I do think they were all more yellow when I got them from you 2-3 years ago
curious what bulb combo, and about how high off the water surface is it mounted?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious what bulb combo, and about how high off the water surface is it mounted?
It was about 12” off I moved it down to 6” off the top of the tank last week to see if that helps. Probably about 16-20” from light to frag. Using ATI 4 blue 1 antic, 1 coral plus. I’m open to swapping them out since they are 4+ years old.
Im trying to understand if it’s just the tank isn’t stable or well fed enough or if it’s a light problem/limitation of t5

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to double post with a bit more info, i think i might have found my problem.

I measured the light to coral distance looks like its 18-20"
I checked my light settings and noticed my photo period was really short 8 hrs total with 1.5 hrs ramp at dawn and .5 at night so only about 6 hrs at full intensity. Im thinking I need to slowly ramp that up to 8-12 hrs of photo period. Any recomendations on how long to shoot for?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do actinic, blue, coral plus, blue, blue, actinic. In that order, front to back.
Going to double post with a bit more info, i think i might have found my problem.

I measured the light to coral distance looks like its 18-20"
I checked my light settings and noticed my photo period was really short 8 hrs total with 1.5 hrs ramp at dawn and .5 at night so only about 6 hrs at full intensity. Im thinking I need to slowly ramp that up to 8-12 hrs of photo period. Any recomendations on how long to shoot for?
11 hours until you color up, then back down to 8

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help/ suggestions on what i fear is likely STN... a few acros turning white from base heading upwards. Not new growth i don't think because there had been tissue there previously and these areas don't fluoresce in UV. Parameters are/ have been stable with alk around 8.3, calc around 420, mag about 1450, ph 8.1-8.3, Nitrate about 12 and phos around 0.08. Par is around 250 for where these are at. My max par at the moment is about 300. about 10hr light cycle that ramps up and peaks in middle and then ramps down. Neptune Skys so i hope diffusion is adequate enough.

I dose live phyto daily, and sporadically (not consistently) use Korallen-Zucht flatworm stop (haven't seen flatworms, just figure it's good to use) and some other KZ things like coral love. Last ICP test was last month with no issues other than low iodine which i dosed to to try and raise. Had been using microbacter 7 and waterglass often in order to combat dinos in combination with pods etc... so i did have another ugly stage a few weeks ago but neither of these frags were overrun by algae.

The one frag is my rainbow's army growout contest frag having some recession around base. The other is an aquatic man table that was doing find a few weeks ago, but i decided to move off the frag rack onto rockwork. I have another random tenuis that is doing same on a frag rack (but has reached higher up the frag).

Any suggestions for stopping/ reversing this? maybe move to lower light? Initially I thought maybe not enough light or maybe they were shading themselves out so I had moved the table more directly under the light to try to reduce shadowing (par move was very similar), but I'm not so sure after checking par and having other corals nearby perfectly happy and growing. I haven't wanted to mess with lighting or flow for fear of creating new problems, but I'm open to suggestions. Any thoughts on actions? Best just to leave it alone and hope for best?

Tank is only 9 months old so it is fairly young though I have some live rock and this may just be part of the game at this point... just sad to have some things thriving and some that appear to be heading south.

sorry for dirty glass - i think i may have won fight against dinos this past week but I haven't cleaned glass yet around frag racks.

PXL_20230331_131449062.jpg
PXL_20230331_131526071.jpg

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you were right, it’s only been a week since I moved the light down and added a bit more time and colors are coming in. I also got a yellow filter for the phone that helps

Attachments

• ADAB09CA-8AFB-4210-AEBC-F7CC8A6CA852.jpeg
    ADAB09CA-8AFB-4210-AEBC-F7CC8A6CA852.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 30

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just run 3 membranes because of the savings in time when filling containers and the water savings. I’ve ran 2 membranes for a few years but I just added the third membrane relatively recently. I think I may start a new thread on this topic to get other peoples input without wasting more space on your help thread, since I don’t have an issue with this that I know of.

It is something to think about and if I ever start having unusual tank issues I will look into it more.
My well has a raw TDS of 1500, I have a softener and a chlorinator dechlorinator. Currently only using one ro membrane with a pressure pump, a sediment and two carbon blocks, then into two mixed DI resin filters to get zero out. I recharge my DI but now you've got me thinking that two ro membranes with the effluent from the first going to the second might be a good idea.

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals Hey Adam, I have an ugly brown Efflo that keeps coming back no matter how much I try to scrape it off rockscape. It literraly takes over and kills any acros close to it. Any ideas On how to kill it without messing up chemistry on the tank? Cant remove rock from tank, it’s in middle of scape.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back