Reef-A-Palooza: Is it worth the trip

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-A-Palooza New York is coming up. wondering is it really worth the trip? Besides the experience itself and maybe the variety, are there good enough deals to justify the expense of gas, tolls, tickets and then the merch / livestock (not to mention the possibility of a covid super spreader)? Honestly wondering is there any deals that cant be done via online shopping on either equipment or live stock? I would hate to spend a day of my life and a couple hundred bucks on the expense of going just to see the same livestock and deals that I could do from Facebook market place, a black friday sale or a live sale on R2R.

Just wondering as I have never been.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i believe a lot of it is more so the social networking aspect of it. vendors getting their name out, and content creators to have something to create content for. i’ll be going with my GF, hopefully to catch some deals, but also to meet new people perhaps who are also part of the forum

if you’re over 3hrs away(not including traffic), i don’t think it’s worth it. and perhaps it’s better to order online or go to an event closer to you

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a lot of it also has to do with the experience you have meeting other reefers and such and be able to look at different corals in person. If that's not your thing then I don't think it's worth it.

I'm going to the Anaheim one and mainly just to check it out with a couple friends.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a lot of it also has to do with the experience you have meeting other reefers and such and be able to look at different corals in person. If that's not your thing then I don't think it's worth it.

I'm going to the Anaheim one and mainly just to check it out with a couple friends.
Lol. I am not a people person!! ;) The only reason I would be going is if the savings on the deals exceeds the expense of getting there. If that is not really what these are about...then very easy for me to pass and stick with a live sale.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Lol. I am not a people person!! ;) The only reason I would be going is if the savings on the deals exceeds the expense of getting there. If that is not really what these are about...then very easy for me to pass and stick with a live sale.
most likely the deals will not be better than the expense of getting there. i went to RAP NY last year on saturday and didn’t get much deals(thinking back to how much i spent), i fear if i go on sunday i’ll miss out on the better stuff, but might still get some deals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I attend the last two and best I can say. . . . . .

- Not a whole array of vendors
- While there were a few frags at 4 for $50, the corals were Pricey
- Food.drink prices quite high
- lack of seminars
- I prefer MACNA over the last 2 experiences.
- Disappointed in Raffle selection and best deals appear to be Sunday, which I have to head home

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to multiple RAPs in Orange County, CA... I would say the "deals" you are looking for probably wont be found... I've never left there thinking I got great deals, you'll find yourself in more sticker shock at some of the prices of high end frags than you'll be impressed with the bargain frags.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go once and you'll know whether it's worth it to you. I'm 1 1/2 hours from Orlando and have to talk myself into it each time. I always stop at WWC to look at their display tanks to make the trip more worthwhile. I don't go for deals. There generally aren't any other than this.... Neptune and Ecotech stuff is usually on sale at the show.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others stated, if you are just going for deals then you are probably going to be disappointed. I was at a frag swap this past weekend and torches were still $150 to $1200. Way too many vendors saying they are "holy grails". I'm also not a people person but I tend to do most of my buying at swaps so I can see the coral.
If you are wanting cheaper, then see if there are any local swaps. Those tend to have some local hobbyist selling and they usually give much better deals. I'm lucky here in the north texas area. We have 5 "regular" swaps this year plus Aquashella and RAP. I can also drive a few hours to Austin and Houston if I wanted to hit a few more.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Reef-A-Palooza New York is coming up. wondering is it really worth the trip? Besides the experience itself and maybe the variety, are there good enough deals to justify the expense of gas, tolls, tickets and then the merch / livestock (not to mention the possibility of a covid super spreader)? Honestly wondering is there any deals that cant be done via online shopping on either equipment or live stock? I would hate to spend a day of my life and a couple hundred bucks on the expense of going just to see the same livestock and deals that I could do from Facebook market place, a black friday sale or a live sale on R2R.

Just wondering as I have never been.
I'd say it's worth it just to come hang out with me!!!
However, it's my first year going also, and I'm sure we'll run into each other at the LFS again one day lol

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i believe a lot of it is more so the social networking aspect of it. vendors getting their name out, and content creators to have something to create content for. i’ll be going with my GF, hopefully to catch some deals, but also to meet new people perhaps who are also part of the forum

if you’re over 3hrs away(not including traffic), i don’t think it’s worth it. and perhaps it’s better to order online or go to an event closer to you
Look for my purple hair and R2R hat and say hi if you see me!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love going!! Unfortunately, I won't make it to RAP NY. I went to Orlando, and planning to go to Texas (and of course, the one here in SoCal as well).

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love going!! Unfortunately, I won't make it to RAP NY. I went to Orlando, and planning to go to Texas (and of course, the one here in SoCal as well).
Hey Daniel, stop by our booth and say hi in Anaheim and/or Dallas.

And is it worth going, in a word... Yes!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Daniel, stop by our booth and say hi in Anaheim and/or Dallas.

And is it worth going, in a word... Yes!
Will do!! I actually might see you this weekend at the Coral Farmers Market in SoCal?

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going and I don't even have a tank up yet. lol

And thank goodness it's in the Meadowlands and not in NYC proper, like the Javitz Center. As a former NYer, I really hate going back to NY. The tolls, the traffic, the prices.... leaving the NYC Comic Con once, I had a pedicab driver attempt to shake me down for $250 for transporting me eight blocks, I kid you not. I threw $25 at him and sauntered into the parking garage.

Anyway, the attraction for me is just getting to see all of the hardware available. As for livestock, I would think that the ability to see the specimen firsthand is the benefit moreso than the pricetag.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back