Reef Aquarium Fact #136 The Moorish Idol is a difficult fish to keep. It is not necessarily a sickly

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #136

The Moorish Idol is a difficult fish to keep. It is not necessarily a sickly fish, but it is difficult to keep due to its diet. It is very difficult to feed and usually dies from starvation.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

Zanclus_cornutus_in_Kona.jpg

PFortman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idols are related to butterfly fish, but like angelfish a key component of Zanclus cornutus' natural diet in the wild are sponges and tunicates, so a portion of their aquarium diet should be the frozen Angel Formula. In addition they browse on macro alga, etc.. Like angels they really prefer eating from a fixed substrate, so veggie clips are a better way to present commercially available alga products and Romain lettuce. For my Atlantic angelfish, I have drilled 1/2" holes in a retrievable chunk of coral rock. I push frozen cubes of Angel Formula and Formula Two for herbivores deep into the holes while still semi-frozen. The Moorish Idols' protruding mouth and teeth are ideal for reaching deep into holes, so have an advantage in competing with other species of tank mates with this type of presentation.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the topic, and have to say great first post PFortman. Very good information.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back