Reef Aquarium Fact #137 Extremely high concentrations of magnesium and/or calcium can lead to precip

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #137

Extremely high concentrations of magnesium and/or calcium can lead to precipitation causing a decrease in alkalinity and of trace elements in
solution.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

68d10226.jpg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #137

Extremely high concentrations of magnesium and/or calcium can lead to precipitation causing a decrease in alkalinity and of trace elements in
solution.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

68d10226.jpg

true. the precipitate would be calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate so cal/mag and carbonate (dkh) drop down. plus smaller amounts of trace elements trapped in the precipitate.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And how would you know Bob? HEHE! JK of course. ;)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious... So if one has HIGH Alk (like mine was a week ago , around 16!) I dosed and dose Ca, when it barely came down I dosed some Mag and it is now down to 10. So I believe this may be true. And in fact I was adding a lot more top off water than usual as well.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how would you know Bob? HEHE! JK of course. ;)

:squigglemouth: And a big general :xd:

Once I thought I'de get really really smart and added the magnesium to my calcium chloride gallon I dosed from

After a few months I noticed calcium was low.

I then noticed there was a big thunk in my calcium gallon.

seems I had a big white ball of calcium sulfate. :crossedlips: Like about the size of a softball or bigger at the bottom of the calcium dosing bottle.

wooopsies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back