Reef Aquarium Fact #170 It is better to OVER build your aquarium stand than to UNDER build it!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #170

It is better to OVER build your aquarium stand than to UNDER build it!

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

IMG_0347-2.jpg

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would agree on over building cabinets when it has that much weight on from water substrate, live rock and hood you dont want a stand that might collapse

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to "over build" you just need to build smart. The important thing is to build the top flat and carry all the weight straight through from the top to the floor. If you do this you can use mostly 3/4"plywood. Here's my current stand for my 215G. There isn't a single 2X in the entire thing. Its all 3/4" plywood except the 1"nom oak for the face frame. That's over 3,000lbs of patio pavers plus my weight.

Tankstandtest.jpg

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can !!! using physic's sure plywood has allot of strength, you need perfect joints, perfect leveling. In my book just overbuild using 2x4 or even 4x4 and call it a day ........ I love overbuilding and not to worry about anything.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use 4x4 on my stand but was afraid that they would have more of a tendancy to twist so i got two 2x4's and made an L out of them. I feel it is much stronger :) I also have 2x6's in my stand. It is way over built :)

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use 4x4 on my stand but was afraid that they would have more of a tendancy to twist so i got two 2x4's and made an L out of them. I feel it is much stronger :) I also have 2x6's in my stand. It is way over built :)
Yes but you feel better ? dot you ? and I bet safer

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure do. I am not a very handy person so I always try to do what I think is unbreakable. And with my flaws it should be just about right :)

I have posted this picture everywhere lately :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341078637.437076.jpg

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure do. I am not a very handy person so I always try to do what I think is unbreakable. And with my flaws it should be just about right :)

I have posted this picture everywhere lately :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341078637.437076.jpg
LOL dude .............. you can probably build a house on top of this :)

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know! It has enough bracing for way more than the 120 just in the middle and the same for the outer edge. I could probably put a Sherman tank on it :)

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that it is better to over build than to under build a stand. Even with buying a prebuilt stand I want to make sure that what I choose is build well and will support the weight that I put onto the top of it.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't need to "over build" you just need to build smart. The important thing is to build the top flat and carry all the weight straight through from the top to the floor. If you do this you can use mostly 3/4"plywood. Here's my current stand for my 215G. There isn't a single 2X in the entire thing. Its all 3/4" plywood except the 1"nom oak for the face frame. That's over 3,000lbs of patio pavers plus my weight.

Tankstandtest.jpg

Wow that is crazy strong!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back