Reef Aquarium Fact #246 Using a ground fault interrupter to plug your equipment into can save

Do you use a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) to plug your equipment into?

• Yes

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.9%

• Total voters

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a believer in GFI outlets.My System is spread out over 6 seperate circuits, and each one is protected with GFI. Some of the circuits have multiple GFI in different locations. I don't use one GFI to run additional outlets for the simple reason that for the cost of the GFI, not shutting off additional equipment when it trips is of a greater value to me.

With over a dozen GFI installed I have to replace 1 about every 18 months.

All of my filtration equipment is located outside. So when the rains come (which they do sometimes in Sunny So Cal) there a couple of GFI that will trip.

I have however, had several device short and catch fire over the years. And when a piece of equipment starts shorting out, it does NOT trip the GFI, and it does not trip the circuit breaker.

So in addition to GFI, make sure you have a good fire extinguisher that you keep near the tank.

Dave B

It sound like you could benefit from an arc fault electrical breaker as well.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I have used for years with little problems. I did have one that was over sensitive to a heater turning on. I replaced it and have had 0 problems since. I use 2 of these total, on separate circuits. That way if one trips I don't lose all the power to my tank. Some pumps and one heater on one, other heater and pumps on the other. That way if one trips I still have a heater and some pumps going.

GFCI 5 Outlet Adapter-30339015-13 at The Home Depot

WillKatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI for anyone interested. It would be very simple to make your own portable GFCI with an extension cord pretty cheap, probably less than $20. If you are interested in doing this PM me and I can help you do it by providing the parts list and detailed instructions. If you want to know my qualifications. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and worked as a full time Electrician through college.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI for anyone interested. It would be very simple to make your own portable GFCI with an extension cord pretty cheap, probably less than $20. If you are interested in doing this PM me and I can help you do it by providing the parts list and detailed instructions. If you want to know my qualifications. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and worked as a full time Electrician through college.

I made something like that for my pond when i had a rental. I used pvc and some fittings to make collapsable conduit lol. Ran the ext cord through it and wired it to a rain proof outlet cover with a gfci. I am by far NOT CERTIFIED and it worked perfectly, so There is no excuse NOT to take up Kalgra on That offer!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back