Reef Aquarium Fact #251 Berghia Nudi's are not the only natural consumer of Aiptasia. Copperbands wi

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #251

Berghia Nudi's are not the only natural consumer of Aiptasia. Copperbands will also do an excellent job.

220copperband20butterfly20fish.jpg

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

Last edited:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True!

Matted filefish are another option, but they're known to develop a taste for polyps & LPS when the aiptasia are gone. Meanwhile, Copperbands have been known to eat feather dusters, and nip at SPS polyps and clam mantles. All in all, the peppermints are probably the safest optio IMO if you have a mixed reef without any wrasses that will eat them.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
True.
I happen to be a big fan of the matted file fish.
I have one that cleaned out 2 tanks for me.

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is what happens to the nudi after it cleans out the aiptasia? It is my understanding that they feed on them almost exclusively. So, then they die off and poison the tank?

Kev311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is what happens to the nudi after it cleans out the aiptasia? It is my understanding that they feed on them almost exclusively. So, then they die off and poison the tank?
I miss my feather dusters, but hey the aiptaisia's gone lol

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Kev311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't mean to quote that post, I was talking about the copper band I recently acquired

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

bullysam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got 6 aptasia eating nudis for my 125 reef and took care of all the aptasia and shortly thereafter they starved and died with no ill effects............no they will not poison your tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back